Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive

[Review] My Teen Romantic Comedy (SNAFU)

Ok so in the interest of fairness I watched the entire anime. Its 13 episodes long, will not comment on the OVA.

Genre: Romantic comedy
    Synopsis: Unsociable guy gets put into a club with 2 other girls.
    ==============================
    Story:
    Well it's a romantic comedy, so really there is no "plot". Like all rom-coms, the interest here is the character development, romance, and comedy

Character development: Not much. I'd like to say I'm kidding but the characters really didn't develop much in the course of the show. They remain the same archetypal characters throughout the course of the show. They get over their "trust issues", but then act the same as they did before. Also it's worth nothing that the show really just ends on them being "friendly" and not close friends.

Romance: NONE. I mean fucking nothing. No dating, no kissing, not even really any hinting tbh. This show ends on a note of fucking nothing happening between him and his "love interest". The most "blushing" moments in the show are thanks to the trap Saika.

Comedy: It's not funny. The jokes are limited, not really tasteful, and there isn't any good "ridiculous scenarios". It's probably the most unfunny rom-com I've ever seen. I cannot stress this enough, there is no comedy in this romantic comedy.

NOTE: This anime did nothing new in the romantic comedy genre as far as plot or themes. Everything that has been done here has been done before and better.
    ===================

Animation:

I love animation. This show looks awful. It's got animation from pre-2007, any action scenes are done horribly, and every character shows practically no emotion throughout the show. Not only that, i'm utterly surprised how lazy it all looks. I mean there is "we didn't have a budget" and then there is "we didn't care".

Note: Romantic comedies are generally not of highest animation quality, however this is below average for any genre.
    ==========================

Soundtrack: The soundtrack is just like the animation: Lazy, below-average, and not good.
    ==========================

Characters:
    (Note: I had to look up most of their names because I honestly didn't care for any of them by the end of 13 episodes).

Hikigaya, Hachiman: A fucking asshole who is negative about everything for really pathetic reasons. Of course pessimism in any situation will have some truth to it, but being anti-anything for the sake of it gets old really fast. I thought in the start he was kinda interesting, but it turns out the guy is just a fucking asshole. I cannot stress how ridiculously pessimistic and pathetic the MC is of this show, so here are some examples:
    -Calls Yui a bitch before the audience has but 30 seconds to know her.
    -Is an asshole to a guy who really doesn't deserve it(tennis scene).
    -Constantly rejects everyone on everything "just because".(note: this does not change.)
    -Is pessimistic beyond rationality. Like he's a walking trope of "how can you look at this scenario in a negative light."
    -Remains the same archetype(pessimist) throughout the show and acts accordingly to any situation.

Yuigahama, Yui: The only one who actively showed interest in the main character. Airhead.
    -Not much else to say, that's her archetype and that's all she does/is.

Yukinoshita, Yukino: The perfect girl. Pretty, athletic, smart. Talks down to everyone, blames people who are envious of her on why she joined the club, and is really kind of a bitch tbh.
    -Again, archetype.

Totsuka, Saika: Honestly the only character that I liked. But....really all they did was take a cute/moe girl and call her a guy. That's all she is.

Saki: Unimportant side character who's only point is a subplot of her job to support her family
    -Nothing to say, she only really exist for but one episode

The Teacher: Another lazy archetype/trope, nothing to see here, move along.
    ================================================== =====

Conclusion: This anime is awful in all regards.
    -There is no comedy, no romance, and all the characters are boring
    -The animation and sound are both incredibly lazy/poor.

ONE GOOD THING: If I had to state one good thing about this show would be that it caught me by surprise. Every romance anime I have ever seen tries to deviate from the normal/average highschool-romance in some way, even if by a little. But this show made no attempts at that, leaving me surprised that a show would actually run from start to finish with nothing surprising happening along the way.

I do not recommend this anime to anyone.
    2/10
    Last edited by Empire; 06-11-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks
    I agree with this review. You should go check out From The New World to get the bad taste out of your mouth

Thanks
    But it's the best anime of 2013 so it had to be good, right?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Empire goin hard.

Member Since 8/05/2012
    Editor 4/04/13 - 4/21/13
    Middleman 7/14/13 - 11/4/13

Battlefield Minion 6/13/14-3/20/15
    Steam Minion 7/16/14-3/20/15

Minion+ 10/1/14-3/20/15
    M.A.T. Minion 10/19/14-3/20/15
    ROTMG Minion 1/14/15-3/20/15

Donator Since 2/26/15 (Thanks @Cursed!)
    Steam Minion 5/9/15 - 11/5/15
    OSFPS Minion 9/15/15 - 11/5/15

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
    But it's the best anime of 2013 so it had to be good, right?
    I'm thinking more and more that it was some troll attempt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

I'm thinking more and more that it was some troll attempt.
    They did a damn good job haha
    Honestly though i don't see how it beat half the things on the list.