Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad

Operating Systems, which one have you enjoyed the most.

I've been using linux for about a couple of weeks now, obviously I dual boot with windows, And I of course still use windows quite a bit. I'm starting to think, windows -- what a piece of shit. Sure it has a lot of great things, a lot of great development libraries, etc.. but it comes with nothing, you literally have to hack your way into getting full control over the OS(Most users don't need this control, but for those that do).

For example, this week I've been playing around with writing an extremely basic command-line operating system. I've written a bootsector that loads the kernel into memory, sets up a basic stack for it(The kernel is written in C, and the main function requires a basic stack setup for it + params). To setup a development environment to do this on windows would take at least several days, setting up a VM, nasm, etc. The only thing I had to do with linux is write a simple .img writer, and install a vm(which took 15 minutes at most). Nasm, gcc, a debugger, it was all already installed.

I mean, in a developers prospective, I can see how working with windows is great because of the amount of libraries and projects open to you. Everything has a UI. However, if your project isn't platform-specific, I can't see why the hell anyone would use windows as a development environment over linux.

Also, becuse my machine is such a piece of shit, linux runs about 800 times faster. That might be the main reason why I'd rather it over windows. But if you compare the minimum requirements of linux to windows 7, it's a slaughter when it comes to using resources efficiently.

Personally my grade of OSs:
    Windows(Still on the top because of the amount of resources one has when using it)
    Linux(Everything is more organized, I.E windows, workspaces, files, permissions, etc, comes with everything anyone would need)
    ITouch's OS (Tis cool)
    MS-DOS(Better then Macintosh..)
    Macintosh(A retarded fuck up and failed recreation of linux.)

What's your experience with linux, why do\don't you use it? (If your reason is playing games, then don't state the reason)

Thanks

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Make a poll, bitch.

And my vote goes to Windows 7.

Thanks
    DOS owns the world.

Thanks
    Windows 7 is the best OS I've used.
    Then Fedora.
    Then Windows 2K Pro SP4 then XP SP2.
    OSX and Windows ME fail just as bad as each other.

Thanks
    In my honest opinion it goes like this..

1. Windows 7
    2. Server 03
    3. XP sp2
    4. Greenhat Linux
    5. OSX snow

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetamay View Post
    I've been using linux for about a couple of weeks now, obviously I dual boot with windows, And I of course still use windows quite a bit. I'm starting to think, windows -- what a piece of shit. Sure it has a lot of great things, a lot of great development libraries, etc.. but it comes with nothing, you literally have to hack your way into getting full control over the OS(Most users don't need this control, but for those that do).

For example, this week I've been playing around with writing an extremely basic command-line operating system. I've written a bootsector that loads the kernel into memory, sets up a basic stack for it(The kernel is written in C, and the main function requires a basic stack setup for it + params). To setup a development environment to do this on windows would take at least several days, setting up a VM, nasm, etc. The only thing I had to do with linux is write a simple .img writer, and install a vm(which took 15 minutes at most). Nasm, gcc, a debugger, it was all already installed.

I mean, in a developers prospective, I can see how working with windows is great because of the amount of libraries and projects open to you. Everything has a UI. However, if your project isn't platform-specific, I can't see why the hell anyone would use windows as a development environment over linux.

Also, becuse my machine is such a piece of shit, linux runs about 800 times faster. That might be the main reason why I'd rather it over windows. But if you compare the minimum requirements of linux to windows 7, it's a slaughter when it comes to using resources efficiently.

Windows(Still on the top because of the amount of resources one has when using it)
    Linux(Everything is more organized, I.E windows, workspaces, files, permissions, etc, comes with everything anyone would need)
    ITouch's OS (Tis cool)

What's your experience with linux, why do\don't you use it? (If your reason is playing games, then don't state the reason)
    im duel booting linux backtrack and win7.

still not good with linux mainly use it for hacking wireless internet

but yea

1)win7
    2)xp
    3)server03
    4)linux
    5)win server08
    6)vista

9999) mac

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    ...Yeah I'm pretty sure Mac came before Linux.

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetamay View Post

ITouch's OS (Tis cool)

Thats not a TUT I went to this thread thinking there was a TUT.
    [IMG]https://i283.photobucke*****m/albums/kk306/Leonscookies/WHORES2.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i767.photobucke*****m/albums/xx318/Fabzi3/lulznavi.png[/IMG]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arunforce View Post
    ...Yeah I'm pretty sure Mac came before Linux.
    Actually both had similar release date.
    Both based on Unix.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    i enjoyed my xp for over 5 years, BEST I EVER HAD!
    i had a mac some time ago, i lit it on fire.. /end
    now i enjoy windows 7 and its pretty gewd so far of 2 months i used it, BEST I RECENTLY GOT
    i had puppy lunix on my usb i use it for travel
    or i just run a virtual machine, dual booting is sooo outdated now.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by EndRiT View Post
    Actually both had similar release date.
    Both based on Unix.
    We aren't talking about Unix, we are talking about Linux vs Mac. And Macintosh wasn't based on Unix.

Mac was released in the 1980s and Linux came out in the 1990s. And yet Macs are still pieces of shit.

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    I never meant to say mac was based off linux, I was just stating mac to me feels like a shitty version of linux.

Although I remember hearing that they do have a similar structure. But I've never wasted more then two seconds researching into any of apple's products(except for the iTouch) so I could be wrong.

I can't imagine any commercial OS being written off of a free OS, unless they really did rewrite it, so much it gave users a damn good reason to switch. I know Redhat is doing well, but I've also read many of their customers are being taken by Ubuntu.