Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Arrow Guide - Speed up Your PC

This is a guide to show you how to speed up your pc. I will cover software changes as well as hardware changes.

1. Recycle Bin Right-Click on your recycle bin and select empty recycle bin.

2. Uninstall any unwanted or unused programs. Hint: Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Then start your task manager. Go to the processes tab. From here you can see programs are using your CPU, Memory, ect.

[IMG]https://i298.photobucke*****m/albums/mm243/hellca521/Crtl1.png[/IMG]

3. Windows Update Download the latest update from Windows update.

4. Defragment your hard drive Windows has a built-in disk defrag. To use it follow this path: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. Then select Disk Defragment. This may take a while depending on the size of your hard drive.

5. Disk Cleanup You will notice right above the Disk Defragment there is a program called Disk Cleanup. This will only take a few minutes.

6. CCleaner This is a free program you can download ,and it will take the place of what Disk Cleanup does and more. The main reason to get it is because it has a Registry cleaner. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this program. There is always a feature it has that will block processes at startup. This can help if you have a pesky background process, that you do not need. It will also delete index.dat files if you run the cleaner. Index.dat files are saved data of all the sites you have been to, you would't even know they were they existed, but they do. It was and still is a controversial feature built-in Windows. Also when running the Registry Cleaner it will give you the option to save a back-up of your registry if something blows up, but you shouldn't have to worry about that.

[IMG]https://i298.photobucke*****m/albums/mm243/hellca521/CC1.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i298.photobucke*****m/albums/mm243/hellca521/CC2.png[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i298.photobucke*****m/albums/mm243/hellca521/CC3.png[/IMG]

7. Anti-Virus Believe it or not your anti-virus can be slowing your PC down. One of these I'm not saying to uninstall your anti-virus, but you may want to look into a different A/V.

8. Virus This is a given, but if your computer is acting strange or different, especially if you don't have A/V then you may have a virus.

9. Memory/Ram This is probably the best way to speed up your PC, but it requires basic hardware changes. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Then start your task manager. Then go to then performance tab. You can now see how much CPU/ and RAM your computer is using.

[IMG]https://i298.photobucke*****m/albums/mm243/hellca521/Crtl2.png[/IMG]

If you are running XP you should have at least 1GB or RAM, 3GB will run XP VERY well. With Vista/Seven you should have at least 2GB, but I would recommend 4GB. BTW- Unless you have a 64-bit Operating System then your computer can only use 3GB or Memory. Most XP versions are 32-bit which can only use 3GB or Memory. To get more RAM/Memory for your PC, you should first Google your computer model #. You should be able to find some RAM/Memory Specs. You will find things like PC2400 or DDR2 or 240-Pin. From here you can find the correct RAM for your computer. Also you want to make sure that you have open slots for any RAM you might be adding. I am going to recommend not going down to Best Buy or Office Max, instead I would go to and online site called Newegg. It's a huge computer supply company, with great customer support, and their prices are much lower then retail stores. You can key in your RAM type in their search box and should bring in some good results. I will also recommend some brands, Crucial, Coirsair, and Gskill. Don't just get the cheapest one check out the reviews before your make a decision.

I hope this helps. If have any other problems or w.e feel free to ask me for advice.

If these outside links are not allowed please delete them, and I'm sorry in advance.

Memory Scan Memory upgrades from Crucial.com - About Crucial:Media Toolbox

CCleaner Free D/L CCleaner - Download

Newegg.com Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

AVG Free 9.0 AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition - Reviews and free AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition downloads at Download.com

Google Google
    Last edited by eliteop; 12-02-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: I smelt like it.
    [IMG]https://i298.photobucke*****m/albums/mm243/hellca521/repr-1.png[/IMG]

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eliteop For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Liz (12-02-2009),n1kko (12-03-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    this is kind of spam.. purely because of the fact that this stuff is obvious.

but nice try though

EDIT: part of that is wrong. the part about vista 32bit only being able to hold 3gb of memory. i have vista 32bit and my pc can hold a maximum of 8gb(4 slots maximium 2gb each)
    Last edited by Chester Bennington; 12-02-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Just because it says you have 8GB doesn't mean it uses it. XP-32bit can use a max 3.25GB, and Vista-32bit 4GB max. Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

And obviously most of this is a given to many people, but for others this may be new content.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteop View Post
    Just because it says you have 8GB doesn't mean it uses it. XP-32bit can use a max 3.25GB, and Vista-32bit 4GB max. Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

And obviously most of this is a given to many people, but for others this may be new content.
    ok fair enough but i dont see where it says 3GB

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    i knew all of this. -_-
    nice try though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    I can ban you for whatever reason I want, ******.

Banned for being a ******.

179° 56′ 39.4″, +0° 2′ 46.2″, 7,940 ± 420 parsecs
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    /Moved. Nice guide.

If anyone claims to be me via any other source outside of MPGH private or visitor messages, IT'S NOT ME!
    They are trying to trick or scam you. Report them immediately and PM me here for verification.
    "Don’t confuse my personality with my attitude. My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are." — Frank Ocean
    Moderator: 5/2009-10/2009 | GMod: 10/2009-10/2010 | Staff Administrator: 10/2010-Present
    I
    do not do requests via PM. Post in the appropriate section.

Stupid/Pointless Private messages = SPAM, SPAM = BAN.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by n1kko View Post
    i knew all of this. -_-
    nice try though.
    I'm guessing you did, but if you at least got one thing out of it... that is my goal. I am and IT/PC Repair and I deal with people on a day to day basis that don't know squat.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteop View Post
    I'm guessing you did, but if you at least got one thing out of it... that is my goal. I am and IT/PC Repair and I deal with people on a day to day basis that don't know squat.
    im not sayin its a bad post, in fact it will help alot of ppl. and i do believe your goal will be met, alot. ppl should thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    I can ban you for whatever reason I want, ******.

Banned for being a ******.