Thread: PSAT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Threadstarter
    Naruto nine-tailed fox coat fur
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post

Oh got it. Well here they let you take it as many times as you want, you just have to pay for it.

For my city, the schools pay for the PSAT during your sophomore year so every sophomore takes it. You can take it again next year as a junior but you have to pay like $20 for it. Same thing goes for seniors.

My advice is start taking SAT classes as soon as possible. That way you can get prepared by the time the SAT's roll around junior year. People don't usually study for the PSAT so its mainly used to see where your at. The SAT is what counts.

On that note, you don't really study for the SAT's. You train for it. When you take classes you take around 4 practice SAT (not the PSAT but actual SAT exams that are created for your class). The information is pretty basic because the math only goes up to Algebra 2 and the English is pretty much what you should already know. The key factor is basically learning the tricks on how to take the SAT. With the tricks, you apply your knowledge in order to solve the problem as fast as possible and to get it right.

The SAT depends on what college you want to apply to. Some look at the SAT differently then others. Some just require you to take the ACT.

Reply back if you want to talk more about it.
    For our school it's diff, the school pays for freshman, jr, and sr PSAT's.
    I already took testmasters and currently review study books for the SAT.
    I'm taking it in November. Depending on if i can get a 2250+ or not. I might see how well I do in the ACT.
    I might focus on the ACT if I can't break a 2250.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnlightenedOne View Post

For our school it's diff, the school pays for freshman, jr, and sr PSAT's.
    I already took testmasters and currently review study books for the SAT.
    I'm taking it in November. Depending on if i can get a 2250+ or not. I might see how well I do in the ACT.
    I might focus on the ACT if I can't break a 2250.
    Good luck! The main thing is to do as much practice SAT tests as you can. The book will offer you lots of tricks to use to figure out those tricky problems so practice using them while you're taking the practice tests.

You should look into what colleges and universities you want to go to. Most schools in the east coast prefer the ACT over the SAT and some colleges look at the weighted SAT score (basically how well you did in each section as opposed to your overall score).

Also keep in mind that if you don't reach your goal of 2250+ that doesn't mean you won't get into a good school. Remember, your GPA and extracurricular activities play a big part in your acceptance. Just aim for a minimum of 2000 and above and you should be in good standing.

MPGH Member Since: 2011
    AVA Minion Since: 7.14.2013 - 7.4.2014

⎳ℴ ⎷ ℯ
    進撃の巨人

私は武器販売業者と一緒に旅行した

犬の日が終わった

MPGH Relic, Full-time Lurker.

Join Anime Force, take over the world.

✘✘✘

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Predator For This Useful Post:

Slump God (10-15-2014)

Threadstarter
    MPGH Member
    Thanks

Good luck! The main thing is to do as much practice SAT tests as you can. The book will offer you lots of tricks to use to figure out those tricky problems so practice using them while you're taking the practice tests.

You should look into what colleges and universities you want to go to. Most schools in the east coast prefer the ACT over the SAT and some colleges look at the weighted SAT score (basically how well you did in each section as opposed to your overall score).

Also keep in mind that if you don't reach your goal of 2250+ that doesn't mean you won't get into a good school. Remember, your GPA and extracurricular activities play a big part in your acceptance. Just aim for a minimum of 2000 and above and you should be in good standing.
    Yup!
    I'm trying to aim for ivy's but I need a pretty high score.
    Doesn't help that I'm asian. I'm in top 5-7% in my school (they haven't released rankings yet). But I don't have as much extracurricular activites I would like nor club leaderships and volunteer hours.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Took mine today to boring as hell easy as hell and dumb as hell. ENUFF SAID. Except for math i'll admit i suck ballz at math
    NightOwl

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEnlightenedOne View Post
    But I don't have as much extracurricular activites I would like nor club leaderships and volunteer hours.
    Yeah you gotta start working on those ASAP. I remember my counselor saying extracurricular activites are at least half of what universities look for. Definitely start volunteering weekly. I highly suggest you volunteer at places that relate to what you're majoring in. For myself, I volunteered at various hospitals because I wanted to work in the medical field. You don't have to do leadership because it just mainly focuses on the school. Instead, join some clubs in your school that help the community. Schools would much rather see a person who is actively involved in their community. Remember, try to be a well rounded student/person.

I can relate to you, since I've already done all of this. Plus I'm asian as well so the expectations are pretty high. Just start planning out everything right now so you have less to worry about later. If you have any questions you know where to ask.

⎳ℴ ⎷ ℯ
    進撃の巨人

私は武器販売業者と一緒に旅行した

犬の日が終わった

✘✘✘

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Predator For This Useful Post:

Slump God (10-16-2014)

Threadstarter
    MPGH Member
    Thanks

Yeah you gotta start working on those ASAP. I remember my counselor saying extracurricular activites are at least half of what universities look for. Definitely start volunteering weekly. I highly suggest you volunteer at places that relate to what you're majoring in. For myself, I volunteered at various hospitals because I wanted to work in the medical field. You don't have to do leadership because it just mainly focuses on the school. Instead, join some clubs in your school that help the community. Schools would much rather see a person who is actively involved in their community. Remember, try to be a well rounded student/person.

I can relate to you, since I've already done all of this. Plus I'm asian as well so the expectations are pretty high. Just start planning out everything right now so you have less to worry about later. If you have any questions you know where to ask.
    Yeah I'm doing business related activities since I want to pursue a career in the business field.
    Yeah, I'll PM you if I have any questions.

Thanks
    [FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"]Academically speaking, the PSAT means and is nothing. It can mean something if you are terrible with tests and have some anxiety towards them which would just attest that you're an idiot because we've been taking standardized tests (state managed) since we were in the 3rd grade implying you went to a normal elementary school and live in the US. The PSAT isn't a test of knowledge - Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors all have the opportunity to take it. If it was a test of knowledge of intellectual superiority it'd be differentiated for each grade level. The PSAT is merely for practice testing -- to become cultured to how to take a test. I believe in order to take the PSAT you had to attend a few conferences or meetings before it and really it's to teach students how to take tests much more efficiently. For those of you saying you can get a scholarship off of it are oblivious; it has a P in the fucking acronym. It's a practice SAT.

Taking it can either be a waste of your time if you've been accustomed to testing (such as taking an AP class and being under that type of stress as well as being taught the more advanced testing techniques such as deductive reasoning) or if you're not very used to tests and what to be prepared, I'd take it. The meetings for it I heard were pretty good despite the fact you sit in a room for 6 hours on a weekend.
    Last edited by Psychotic; 10-16-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Super User since 02.02.2020
    Global Moderator since 09.23.2017
    Moderator since 09.01.2016
    Minion+ since 07.22.2016

Marketplace Minion since 06.09.2016
    Trove Minion since 06.06.2016
    Middleman since 04.21.2016
    Social Engineering Minion since 02.03.2016
    News FO Freelancer From 11.08.2015 to 07.23.2016
    News FO Head Editor From 08.23.2015 to 11.08.2015
    News FO Head Editor From 07.19.2012 to 08.11.2014
    MPGH News and News FO Founder
    Programming Minion From Unknown to 04.23.2013
    Minecraft Minion From 09.19.2012 to 04.23.2013
    Member since 05.13.2012

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Yeah no one studies for the PSAT

⎳ℴ ⎷ ℯ
    進撃の巨人

私は武器販売業者と一緒に旅行した

犬の日が終わった

✘✘✘

Thanks
    Yeah no one studies for the PSAT
    Well of course. it's not a study of intellectual superiority as I said. Yes, I believe there is some kind of measurement similar to ACT/SAT, but in it's entirety it's just a practice test which in helps people be mentally prepared for what an ACT/SAT looks, feels, and entails.

Super User since 02.02.2020
    Global Moderator since 09.23.2017
    Moderator since 09.01.2016
    Minion+ since 07.22.2016

Marketplace Minion since 06.09.2016
    Trove Minion since 06.06.2016
    Middleman since 04.21.2016
    Social Engineering Minion since 02.03.2016
    News FO Freelancer From 11.08.2015 to 07.23.2016
    News FO Head Editor From 08.23.2015 to 11.08.2015
    News FO Head Editor From 07.19.2012 to 08.11.2014
    MPGH News and News FO Founder
    Programming Minion From Unknown to 04.23.2013
    Minecraft Minion From 09.19.2012 to 04.23.2013
    Member since 05.13.2012

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Did the Israeli version of the SAT two weeks ago.. the damn writing assignment wasn't what I expected so that sucks but everything else seemed to go well :P

Threadstarter
    MPGH Member
    Thanks
    PSAT gives scholarships and colleges will give you intership opportunities based on your score. For Texas at least. That's why it's pretty important for us.

Thanks
    crimson leaves
    falling

BEST POETRY

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12