Thread: please help

Thanks

please help

what is the easiest compiler to use for C++ for learning and practicing? Any tips for a new user would be nice, like where to begin learning from scratch?.?.
    Thanks for the help

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Compiler or IDE?

I'm pretty sure you mean IDE. I think most people use Visual Studio, for good reason. C++ and C are Microsoft languages, VS was made by Microsoft.
    Another popular one is Code::Blocks. I didn't use it much but I tried writing in it. You need to download the compiler along with it in order for your programs to work. Which means you also have to set the compiler in your Code::Blocks settings.

As for learning/practicing get a book. You can learn on a website like cplusplus or some other site, or you can watch youtube videos, best answer though is probably to get a book. If you google "C++ book" the second link down (right after amazon) is "The Definitive C++ Book Guide and List" which pretty much has THE recommended compilation of best books to read to learn.

I don't think I'm allowed to link to other sites so I'll just copy/paste the first few

Beginner
    Introductory, no previous programming experience

1. Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ (Bjarne Stroustrup) (updated for C++11/C++14) An introduction to programming using C++ by the creator of the language. A good read, that assumes no previous programming experience, but is not only for beginners.

Introductory, with previous programming experience

1. C++ Primer * (Stanley Lippman, Josée Lajoie, and Barbara E. Moo) (updated for C++11) Coming at 1k pages, this is a very thorough introduction into C++ that covers just about everything in the language in a very accessible format and in great detail. The fifth edition (released August 16, 2012) covers C++11. [Review]
    2. A Tour of C++ (Bjarne Stroustrup) The "tour" is a quick (about 180 pages and 14 chapters) tutorial overview of all of standard C++ (language and standard library, and using C++11) at a moderately high level for people who already know C++ or at least are experienced programmers. This book is an extended version of the material that constitutes Chapters 2-5 of The C++ Programming Language, 4th edition.
    3. Accelerated C++ (Andrew Koenig and Barbara Moo) This basically covers the same ground as the C++ Primer, but does so on a fourth of its space. This is largely because it does not attempt to be an introduction to programming, but an introduction to C++ for people who've previously programmed in some other language. It has a steeper learning curve, but, for those who can cope with this, it is a very compact introduction into the language. (Historically, it broke new ground by being the first beginner's book to use a modern approach at teaching the language.) [Review]
    4. Thinking in C++ (Bruce Eckel) Two volumes; is a tutorial style free set of intro level books. Downloads: vol 1, vol 2. Unfortunately they’re marred by a number of trivial errors (e.g. maintaining that temporaries are automatically const), with no official errata list. A partial 3rd party errata list is available at (https://www.computersciencelab.com/Eckel.htm), but it’s apparently not maintained.

I personally am reading C++ Primer. 1k page book and it has gone over a lot of the basic level stuff, in depth. Giving a good understanding of how things work. And because of that, I feel like I understand the language a lot better.

Hopefully that answered your question.
    https://www.mpgh.net/forum/signaturepics/sigpic210976_1.gif

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by InunoTaishou View Post
    Compiler or IDE?

I'm pretty sure you mean IDE. I think most people use Visual Studio, for good reason. C++ and C are Microsoft languages, VS was made by Microsoft.
    Another popular one is Code::Blocks. I didn't use it much but I tried writing in it. You need to download the compiler along with it in order for your programs to work. Which means you also have to set the compiler in your Code::Blocks settings.

As for learning/practicing get a book. You can learn on a website like cplusplus or some other site, or you can watch youtube videos, best answer though is probably to get a book. If you google "C++ book" the second link down (right after amazon) is "The Definitive C++ Book Guide and List" which pretty much has THE recommended compilation of best books to read to learn.

I don't think I'm allowed to link to other sites so I'll just copy/paste the first few

Beginner
    Introductory, no previous programming experience

1. Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ (Bjarne Stroustrup) (updated for C++11/C++14) An introduction to programming using C++ by the creator of the language. A good read, that assumes no previous programming experience, but is not only for beginners.

Introductory, with previous programming experience

1. C++ Primer * (Stanley Lippman, Josée Lajoie, and Barbara E. Moo) (updated for C++11) Coming at 1k pages, this is a very thorough introduction into C++ that covers just about everything in the language in a very accessible format and in great detail. The fifth edition (released August 16, 2012) covers C++11. [Review]
    2. A Tour of C++ (Bjarne Stroustrup) The "tour" is a quick (about 180 pages and 14 chapters) tutorial overview of all of standard C++ (language and standard library, and using C++11) at a moderately high level for people who already know C++ or at least are experienced programmers. This book is an extended version of the material that constitutes Chapters 2-5 of The C++ Programming Language, 4th edition.
    3. Accelerated C++ (Andrew Koenig and Barbara Moo) This basically covers the same ground as the C++ Primer, but does so on a fourth of its space. This is largely because it does not attempt to be an introduction to programming, but an introduction to C++ for people who've previously programmed in some other language. It has a steeper learning curve, but, for those who can cope with this, it is a very compact introduction into the language. (Historically, it broke new ground by being the first beginner's book to use a modern approach at teaching the language.) [Review]
    4. Thinking in C++ (Bruce Eckel) Two volumes; is a tutorial style free set of intro level books. Downloads: vol 1, vol 2. Unfortunately they’re marred by a number of trivial errors (e.g. maintaining that temporaries are automatically const), with no official errata list. A partial 3rd party errata list is available at (https://www.computersciencelab.com/Eckel.htm), but it’s apparently not maintained.

I personally am reading C++ Primer. 1k page book and it has gone over a lot of the basic level stuff, in depth. Giving a good understanding of how things work. And because of that, I feel like I understand the language a lot better.

Hopefully that answered your question.
    He might be going all HAM with a text editor so gcc is also a good compiler.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Knochove View Post
    He might be going all HAM with a text editor so gcc is also a good compiler.
    As my computer science teacher would say, he's building some character. haha
    https://www.mpgh.net/forum/signaturepics/sigpic210976_1.gif

5. The Following User Says Thank You to InunoTaishou For This Useful Post:

Knochove (01-29-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    I'd recommend you the Microsoft Visual C++ 2012, since it supports C++/cli which is really good way of approaching C++ if you have experience with the .Net concept. Also UI is very pleasant and nice, not to mention the various options you have when creating your project. C++ uses winAPI which is developed by microsoft, also visual studio is developed by microsoft. So what are you waiting for, get your own copy of Visual C++!