Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

It's Been a While (:

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted anywhere on MPGH. Basically, I'm heading off to college soon and I'm taking my computer with me.. Whether I decide to deal with the slow internet of a UC I plan to attend or buy a town house to commute from, I plan to spend my free time learning hobbies: Video Editing, Coding, etc. while playing video games. Since I am a biochemistry major, I doubt I will have any time for that..

Anyways, my computer build is currently ~2 years old, looking to upgrade some parts, all if need be.

Current build:

Case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Graphics Card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Hard Drive: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    MoBo: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    RAM: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    CPU Cooler: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Processor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    I currently have https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i7-...words=intel+i7 on hand to upgrade to, not sure if its good enough but its all I have..

Budget: $800 - $1500. Looking for a computer that will last me about 4 years before I upgrade again (if needed) before I head off to graduate (hopefully medical) school. I plan to get this build done before summer starts (June) so I have time to wait for sales and or the release of better components. Thank you for the help!

P.S. Can pay for those who help me through PayPal or Amazon GC since I feel morally obligated to do so.
    Godlike.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    I came up with this, https://pc part picker.com/p/6YwC99
    Good luck!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by minh278 View Post
    Do you feel like saving money? Because, if you do i would just upgrade the gpu to a 970/980 and buy a stick or two of 8gb ram for most cost effective measure. Your processor is still quite decent for gaming and other uses.

With Democritus's build the thing i might change is you can get a 2tb seagate hdd for $2 more.

The processor you have on hand is also good(the i7). Do you want a build that fits that?

The main thing is how much money would you like to spend, it will change the build options.

Optional question: Did you get the UCR scarf?
    Well, the thing is I feel like if I use a 980 or 970 I might as well take my i7 to 4790K or even a 5820K so in the end I would be pretty much scrapping everything.. I'd like to spend less than $1500, looking to get a laptop for school too that I can take to lectures.

And yes, I did get my UCR acceptance and my UCR scarf :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Democritus View Post
    I came up with this, https://pc part picker.com/p/6YwC99
    Good luck!
    'This webpage is not available'
    Godlike.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro. View Post
    Well, the thing is I feel like if I use a 980 or 970 I might as well take my i7 to 4790K or even a 5820K so in the end I would be pretty much scrapping everything.. I'd like to spend less than $1500, looking to get a laptop for school too that I can take to lectures.

And yes, I did get my UCR acceptance and my UCR scarf :P

- - - Updated - - -

'This webpage is not available'
    Take out the spaces between Pc-part-Picker

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh
    Do you feel like saving money? Because, if you do i would just upgrade the gpu to a 970/980 and buy a stick or two of 8gb ram for most cost effective measure. Your processor is still quite decent for gaming and other uses.

With Democritus's build the thing i might change is you can get a 2tb seagate hdd for $2 more.

The processor you have on hand is also good(the i7). Do you want a build that fits that?

The main thing is how much money would you like to spend, it will change the build options.

Optional question: Did you get the UCR scarf?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh
    You may want to look into getting a gaming laptop instead of buying a pc and a laptop.
    -asus rog, msi, clevo, gigabyte,...
    -benefit is its alot more portable and all your stuff is in one place(a gtx 860m should be able to max most games)

The two laptop branches i can currently recommend purely for work(little light gaming-none): any mac(pro, air), or a surface pro
    -both of these have proven quite reliable among my schools population with quite large battery life (i can give a run down on the benefits of either if you wish) (i can also talk about other laptops)

Honestly, that i7 3770 is good enough that people(including me) would buy it easily, haswell's main increase over ivy bridge is energy efficiency(less heat) not performance(however the 3770 is non-k so you cant overclock it). It may be reasonable to use that processor you have on hand(and spend more money towards the laptop).

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    You may want to look into getting a gaming laptop instead of buying a pc and a laptop.
    -asus rog, msi, clevo, gigabyte,...
    -benefit is its alot more portable and all your stuff is in one place(a gtx 860m should be able to max most games)

The two laptop branches i can currently recommend purely for work(little light gaming-none): any mac(pro, air), or a surface pro
    -both of these have proven quite reliable among my schools population with quite large battery life (i can give a run down on the benefits of either if you wish) (i can also talk about other laptops)

Honestly, that i7 3770 is good enough that people(including me) would buy it easily, haswell's main increase over ivy bridge is energy efficiency(less heat) not performance(however the 3770 is non-k so you cant overclock it). It may be reasonable to use that processor you have on hand(and spend more money towards the laptop).
    Well since I'm dorming, I plan to have a computer at my desk. I've grown up using a PC my whole life so I'm accustomed to it and I only tolerate laptops when I need to (in this case, its portability and using it for classes). I am a fan of both the ASUS Rog and MSI series so I'll look into getting a laptop along those lines.

Anyways, do you have a build that can run dual 4K monitors without lag and play video games such as CoD (I don't play CoD but just an example) on max settings? I understand the price is quite expensive but just find me the best setup and spare no cost
    Godlike.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Godlike.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro. View Post
    Dear god please don't ever buy anything from that terrible company. If you're going pre-built go with maingear or xidax even. Regardless are you wanting a laptop, or can we go with a desktop build?
    Computer Specifications:
    Case: NZXT H500i
    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W
    Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
    CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
    CPU Cooling: Kraken x62
    RAM: Gigabyte Aorus 16GB(8x2)3200Mhz
    GPU: Asus 1080 Strix

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by orlyy View Post
    Dear god please don't ever buy anything from that terrible company. If you're going pre-built go with maingear or xidax even. Regardless are you wanting a laptop, or can we go with a desktop build?
    Looking to upgrade my PC and get a laptop too.
    Godlike.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh
    For dual 4k monitors it will be hard(for any card really) to game on. How much do you care about laptop aesthetics and thickness? Do you want to fit the laptop and desktop into the $1500 budget(or are they seperate)?

And there are better laptop deals out there. I will reply faster since i get the day of tomorrow.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    For dual 4k monitors it will be hard(for any card really) to game on. How much do you care about laptop aesthetics and thickness? Do you want to fit the laptop and desktop into the $1500 budget(or are they seperate)?

And there are better laptop deals out there. I will reply faster since i get the day of tomorrow.
    I do kind of care about how the laptop looks. I want an average screen size which is about 15.6'' but in terms of aesthetics it does slightly matter to me (hence why I am attracted by the styles of the ASUS ROG and MSI series with their keyboards, speakers, etc.).

And thank you for your help!
    Godlike.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doh
    Quote Originally Posted by Meli View Post
    My Friend has that exact laptop just gave it an ssd and its quite decent plays most things max-ultra. 860m

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834232202
    -The difference from the one above is it has a 970m which is not bad
    -Thats like the one you were looking at but alot cheaper and rog. You can add an ssd for around $100 yourself a 240gb sandisk ultra plus II(not the best but more than most need)(ssd only affects loading speeds not fps)

I hate to be repetitive, but give me a budget on the laptop to find, this is probs the best sub $1500 laptop though.

This a a new hybrid thats out:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

-The problem is it does get noisy
    -battery life is only around 2.5 hours
    -you need to buy an gpu
    Last edited by minh278; 02-14-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast