View Poll Results: What did it do for you?

Voters
7. This poll is closed
  • Smoother

3 42.86%
  • No change/Slower

4 57.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

-Virtual Memory-[VISTA]/[LESS GFX LAG]

For those of you who are using GameBooster and are having no luck, I have an alternate solution for you.
    It's fairly easy to do, and simple to understand, but makes a huge difference if your problem is your CPU's ability to handle graphics, rather than your internet connection (that, I can not help with much).

It's called "virtual memory", which by definition, is "a computer system technique which gives an application program the impression that it has contiguous working memory (an address space), while in fact it may be physically fragmented and may even overflow on to disk storage."

In other words, it tells your program (in this case CA, or whatever other game you have, I use it for Halo and Call of Duty 4) that it can use more disk memory than normal, making it run smoothly.

I run both games on highest detail without any modifications to my laptop.

Here's how to do it:

VISTA IS USED FOR THIS, I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S THE SAME FOR XP (THOUGH I ASSUME IT WOULD BE SIMILAR)

1. Start > Control Panel
    2. Click "System and Maintenance"
    3. Click "System"
    4. On the left side, click "Advanced System Settings" (you will need ADMIN permission)
    5. Under Performance, click Settings
    6. Under the "Advanced" tab, under Virtual Memory, click change.
    7. By default, the top check-box will be selected, uncheck it.
    8. Select your OS drive from the list (C drive)
    9. Check the option "Custom size"
    10. Change both the initial size and the maximum size to whatever number is recommended (found at the bottom)
    - Mine was 6127, which I recommend first, and then change it however you please, but not too high (I changed mine to 10,000)
    11. Click "Set", "Ok"
    12. You should be prompted to restart your computer, which is necessary for the setting to go into effect.

Once you have restarted, the setting will be in effect and you should have a smoother gaming experience.

Thank me if I helped, and PM me or hit up my MSN if you have any further questions or issues.

- RPB93

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

D3Dh0oker (03-06-2010)

Thanks
    not exactly...

virtual memory, does make it slow too.

get a better video card.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddieboy12 View Post
    not exactly...

virtual memory, does make it slow too.

get a better video card.
    The way I described it makes your game smoother.
    Mmk?
    Mmk.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    If you want virtual memory, some usb's have something called readyboost which you can use (ONLY ON VISTA maybe window 7 idk).

As you can see, when its only autoplay, don't click open files, click "Speed up my system using Windows Readyboost"

I reckon this is an easier way xD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leetdragon100 View Post
    If you want virtual memory, some usb's have something called readyboost which you can use (ONLY ON VISTA maybe window 7 idk).

As you can see, when its only autoplay, don't click open files, click "Speed up my system using Windows Readyboost"

I reckon this is an easier way xD
    It works for windows 7 readyboost.
    But readyboost isn't that great.

Thanks
    yeah ready boost sucks

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Increasing virtual memory is just giving your hard drive more space to be used as RAM.
    Since RAM needs to be accessed very quickly, the hard drive has to work harder.
    This is called "thrashing"
    Thrashing isn't good, as it wears out your hard drive.
    "Aren't you the guy that made unlimited respawn for CA along time ago? That was epic." - [MPGH]AVGN

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by bsrkrnghivu View Post
    Increasing virtual memory is just giving your hard drive more space to be used as RAM.
    Since RAM needs to be accessed very quickly, the hard drive has to work harder.
    This is called "thrashing"
    Thrashing isn't good, as it wears out your hard drive.
    The damn ram change nothing, i added 1g ram and still getting the same laggs, but when i bought my new video card : nvidia geforce 9500 gt 1gb virtual ram, all was working and no laggs, i can max resolutiona and details no lags....

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by alixl2 View Post
    The damn ram change nothing, i added 1g ram and still getting the same laggs, but when i bought my new video card : nvidia geforce 9500 gt 1gb virtual ram, all was working and no laggs, i can max resolutiona and details no lags....
    This doesn't change your amount of RAM, it changes how much RAM is used for the processes.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by RPB93 View Post

This doesn't change your amount of RAM, it changes how much RAM is used for the processes.
    Ok i didn't say that way but it almost that

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angry
    I Should do this...
    My Combat Arms Experience is Shit. I never even Play anymore, because It sucks so much.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunky View Post
    I Should do this...
    My Combat Arms Experience is Shit. I never even Play anymore, because It sucks so much.
    I went from being able to not run COD4 at all, to running it on highest quality.
    I recommend atleast trying.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Nice idea...I have 1 problem though...

"Enter a maximum page file size that is greater or equal to the initial page file size, and less than 4096 mb".

Care to explain...?

EDIT-

Wow replying to this thread miraculously fixed my problem...
    Last edited by pimpinallovertheworld666; 11-21-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Quote Originally Posted by RPB93 View Post

I went from being able to not run COD4 at all, to running it on highest quality.
    I recommend atleast trying.
    Hmmm.... Okay well there's a reason it is called Virtual Memory, and that is because it does not exist. I'm not really sure how changing the amount of virtual memory would help at all though. So I did a little looking around and here's my theory:

Increasing your Virtual Memory allows you to run more memory intensive applications, such as COD4, but the trade off to this is it is much slower. And I wouldn't recommend doing this because the side effect is it creates fragmentation. This may be good for a couple times, this is because Windows is probably accessing the new memory space you just created which is completely clear, but as you continue to do this that space will also become cluttered as Windows attempts to reuse old memory. So unless you plan on defragmenting your hard-drive every week or more (depending on how often you play COD4) then this is not a good idea.

However there are ways to drastically increase the speed of your system. One way to do so is to restart your computer by turning off all nonessential applications:

Just:
    Start>Run
    type "msconfig" into Run and hit OK
    A window will pop up, You need Admin rights.
    Go to the "Services" tab
    Select "Hide all microsoft Services" > Then Click "Disable All"> Click OK> and restart your computer.Now your computer will restart with only only essentially processes running in the background.

Also: you can go to your TaskManager once you start COD4 and select its process and give it High Priority, which will give it even more processing time.

Lastly:
    If you using a laptop, simply buying a cooling stand for around $20.00 can help you immensely when running intense applications. Laptobs have a tendency to over heat which is often why the are not good for gaming, but a cooling stand keeps it from heating up to much which allows you to run more intense applications for a longer time, while preserving the life of your computer.

Doing all these things I was able to run MW2 on the highest settings on my laptop, which only has 3GB of Ram! Lol. though it was rather laggy... but I'm able to play on normal settings now without any detectable lag, except on a few large maps. Hope this helps you.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

CRUSTY (03-06-2010),darthmala (03-06-2010),imgunna (11-21-2009)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    i use laptop and the heat is annoying on the legs...... cause i dont play at a table im in bed/chair/anywheres...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast