Thanks

Has 'New Imperialism' or Colonization really stopped?

If we look at the recent years, can we really say that the U.S. has stopped their efforts of colonization? Most would say that after the Cold War it did indeed stop for us however will we ever pursue it again or do you think another superpower will take on the "White Man's Burden" from the U.S.?

Super User since 02.02.2020
    Global Moderator since 09.23.2017
    Moderator since 09.01.2016
    Minion+ since 07.22.2016

Marketplace Minion since 06.09.2016
    Trove Minion since 06.06.2016
    Middleman since 04.21.2016
    Social Engineering Minion since 02.03.2016
    News FO Freelancer From 11.08.2015 to 07.23.2016
    News FO Head Editor From 08.23.2015 to 11.08.2015
    News FO Head Editor From 07.19.2012 to 08.11.2014
    MPGH News and News FO Founder
    Programming Minion From Unknown to 04.23.2013
    Minecraft Minion From 09.19.2012 to 04.23.2013
    Member since 05.13.2012

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    I mean publicly America hasn't made an effort to really "colonize" any country per say and Imperialism has ended.

However, and I'm entering conspiracy theory territory here, that's not to say America doesn't have 'colonies' around the world today.

America has countless treaties with other coutnries that favor them. These treaties basically give America unlimited access to certain countries and regions.

I'm gonna talk about 3 ways america spreads its influence in a non-chalant way in the modern day.

1. Capitalism. Remember the cold war? Remember containment? Remember how Russia and America were both competing on who can turn the most countries capitalist/communist. Yeah, America is still using Capitalism to control countries today. I'm not gonna go too in-depth about this, just please watch this video, it's very insightful.

2. Militarism. America has military bases in countries all over the world. These countries range from Saudi Arabia to most of Europe. In some cases, America has full access to a country's military. You can look up statistics about american military bases and you'll get the idea.
    3. The U.N and the Security Council. I might be alone in thinking this but the U.N is basically just another way for America to flex its muscles. The U.N is literally America's puppet. America contributes to the U.N's budget more than any country in the world. Through the U.N, America has bailed Israel out of its war crimes and just did a whole bunch of shit( through veto and what not) to its own advantage.

Now all 3 of these resemble Imperialism pretty closely. In other words, America has successfully 'colonized' a lot of the world today.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
    Text...
    I agree with the general direction of your thoughts. Modern Imperializm seems to go with time and is not like what it was in the beginning of XX century. Everything was much simplier back then: if somebody wanted something he couldn't claim by right he simply took it by force, attacked a coutry, destroyed it's government, deployed occupant/colonial administration, overwhelmed any opposition.

Today's Imperializm is less straightforward but more sophisticated and devious. One doesn't need to launch a full scale military operation to steal resources and achieve control, he can simply buy a minister or entire government, force country into unprofitable deals, launch an economic invasion. And if that doesn't work, there is always an opposition (doesn't matter if they actually have any ideas or are just bandit or fascist scum) that can be armed, called "freedom fighters" by propaganda machine and overthrow legit government, doing all the dirty work for Imperialist country.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by d1spenser View Post
    I agree with the general direction of your thoughts. Modern Imperializm seems to go with time and is not like what it was in the beginning of XX century. Everything was much simplier back then: if somebody wanted something he couldn't claim by right he simply took it by force, attacked a coutry, destroyed it's government, deployed occupant/colonial administration, overwhelmed any opposition.

Today's Imperializm is less straightforward but more sophisticated and devious. One doesn't need to launch a full scale military operation to steal resources and achieve control, he can simply buy a minister or entire government, force country into unprofitable deals, launch an economic invasion. And if that doesn't work, there is always an opposition (doesn't matter if they actually have any ideas or are just bandit or fascist scum) that can be armed, called "freedom fighters" by propaganda machine and overthrow legit government, doing all the dirty work for Imperialist country.
    Yeah definetly. I'd rather have the old system of imperialism than this new one. At least back then you knew what you were fighting. However nowadays everything is hidden.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post

Yeah definetly. I'd rather have the old system of imperialism than this new one. At least back then you knew what you were fighting. However nowadays everything is hidden.
    Imperialism in the 20th century was hidden, but they weren't stealthy enough with it. Even today it's not well-hidden, just take a look at the Ukraine government for example.

Before the gods, there were the Titans.
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    The U.S. does whatever is in its best interests, and uses its self-appointed ideology of being the World Police to do so.

Thanks
    Modern day imperialism is just the manipulation of a free market to enslave other organisations or nations.

Quality is not an act, it is a habit.
    Premium Seller
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by sw3111 View Post
    Modern day imperialism is just the manipulation of a free market to enslave other organisations or nations.
    True. I second this.