Thread: New Gaming Rig

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired

Question New Gaming Rig

Hello ladies and Gents, I recently built a new gaming Rig to fit my thirst for games. I have spent a little under a thousand bucks and I love it. I am looking to get a rating on my rig and also find if there is anything I can do to improve performance without outfitting the chassis with all new parts. So before we get into that, here is my setup;

CPU: i7 Quad Core
    MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA Z97
    Ram: G-Skill DDR4 (12GB)
    Chassis: Apevia X Dreamer 4
    Graphics Card: Sexy xfx Double D R9-280A

I have two 1TB HDD Sata in and then a nice heat sink. Personally I love my rig, runs smooth and is by far the fastest thing I have ever owned. So suggestions? Have I made a stupid mistake and mixed parts that will cause my trouble down the road? Is there anything I can do to improve performance without outfitting the inside again?

Thanks guys,
    Best wishes,
    0Z
    Last edited by x0Z3ro0x; 07-16-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the Graphics card :)
    "America? Huh, there is no such thing anymore. Just an empty husk of a once great nation, turned to ash by greed and evil. The one way to change it, is the one thing we fear most. Giving up our lives, our addictions, and our habits, and picking up a rifle. Only the people can change what is happening, and only death will end the greed and evil that has infected our once great nation."

- Gabriel G.

[IMG]https://i1119.photobucke*****m/albums/k623/_BW_/Ts1VOqA_zps8yjvdjpn.png[/IMG]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by x0Z3ro0x View Post
    Hello ladies and Gents, I recently built a new gaming Rig to fit my thirst for games. I have spent a little under a thousand bucks and I love it. I am looking to get a rating on my rig and also find if there is anything I can do to improve performance without outfitting the chassis with all new parts. So before we get into that, here is my setup;

CPU: i7 Quad Core
    MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA Z97
    Ram: G-Skill DDR4 (12GB)
    Chassis: Apevia X Dreamer 4
    Graphics Card: Sexy xfx Double D R9-280A

I have two 1TB HDD Sata in and then a nice heat sink. Personally I love my rig, runs smooth and is by far the fastest thing I have ever owned. So suggestions? Have I made a stupid mistake and mixed parts that will cause my trouble down the road? Is there anything I can do to improve performance without outfitting the inside again?

Thanks guys,
    Best wishes,
    0Z
    How the fuck did you fit DDR4 ram into a Z97 motherboard? I think you meant DDR3 ram haha!

As far as your computer goes it looks decent. I would've opted for something like an i5-4670k/i5-4690k and spend more money on a beefier GPU but that's pretty much it. The i7-4790 is alright but I also would have gotten a 4790K instead if you're going to get an i7. It's only 10-20 dollars more and gives your better performance and a way better long-term performance.

And I wouldn't say that you'd have problems down the road if you know for sure that you're going to upgrade your GPU.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Don't use Triple channel ram, try to get another stick of 4 GB of memory, it's just better.

Thanks
    You should get a 1tb SSD. :P

MPGH Staff History:
    Minion: 02-12-2013 - 6-28-2013
    Former Staff: 6-28-2013 - 7-14-2014
    Minion: 7-14-2014 - 1-3-2015
    Minion+: 1-3-2015 - 6-1-2015
    Moderator: 6-1-2015 - 10-2-2016
    Global Moderator: 10-2-2016 - Current

Current Sections:
    DayZ Mod & Standalone Hacks & Cheats
    BattleOn Games Hacks, Cheats & Trainers
    Minecraft Hacks
    Other Semi-Popular First Person Shooter Hacks
    Blackshot Hacks & Cheats
    Need For Speed World Hacks
    Other First Person Shooter Hacks
    CounterStrike: Global Offensive Hacks
    Garry's Mod Hacks & Cheats

Donating:
    If you want to donate money to me I take Bitcoin & Paypal, PM me for either of these if you're interested and thanks.
    Top Donators: (Awesome People)
    FanticSteal $75.00
    smurf_master $58.00 <- Best DayZ Gear Seller
    Fujiyama $25.00
    [MPGH]Black $10.00
    [MPGH]Hova $10.00
    xJudgez $4.54
    [MPGH]Normen's Sheep $3.50
    eminemlover $1.50

Brony?
    https://www.mpgh.net/forum/groups/1728-mpgh-bronies.html

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatenashi Sarashiki. View Post
    How the fuck did you fit DDR4 ram into a Z97 motherboard? I think you meant DDR3 ram haha!

As far as your computer goes it looks decent. I would've opted for something like an i5-4670k/i5-4690k and spend more money on a beefier GPU but that's pretty much it. The i7-4790 is alright but I also would have gotten a 4790K instead if you're going to get an i7. It's only 10-20 dollars more and gives your better performance and a way better long-term performance.

And I wouldn't say that you'd have problems down the road if you know for sure that you're going to upgrade your GPU.
    My bad you are right, I have G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series which I just looked and it is DDR3 :3

It is not to late for me to get a new Processor for this rig, so I can still switch it out, might I ask though, what gives it better long term performance than the one currently?

Also, I fixed the link to my Video Card, here it is. I thought it was a decent card and seems to be doing fine, but if I am being honest, I wasn't sure if it would hold up in the future as technology advances. Would you recommend something better? If so what would you recommend.

Basically I have built this machine to allow me to buy any PC game I wish, and play it without lag.
    "America? Huh, there is no such thing anymore. Just an empty husk of a once great nation, turned to ash by greed and evil. The one way to change it, is the one thing we fear most. Giving up our lives, our addictions, and our habits, and picking up a rifle. Only the people can change what is happening, and only death will end the greed and evil that has infected our once great nation."

- Gabriel G.

[IMG]https://i1119.photobucke*****m/albums/k623/_BW_/Ts1VOqA_zps8yjvdjpn.png[/IMG]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    My bad you are right, I have G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series which I just looked and it is DDR3 :3

It is not to late for me to get a new Processor for this rig, so I can still switch it out, might I ask though, what gives it better long term performance than the one currently?

Also, I fixed the link to my Video Card, here it is. I thought it was a decent card and seems to be doing fine, but if I am being honest, I wasn't sure if it would hold up in the future as technology advances. Would you recommend something better? If so what would you recommend.

Basically I have built this machine to allow me to buy any PC game I wish, and play it without lag.
    The Core i7-4790k is better overall for long term because if your CPU is struggling to do CPU heavy programs then you can always overclock it to get better performance later down the road if you choose do to so.

The R9-280 is a "good enough" graphics card to play pretty much most games at High settings at 1920 X 1080 resolution. And as far as what I recommend would pretty much rely on what your budget is.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kongou. For This Useful Post:

x0Z3ro0x (07-19-2015)

Thanks
    Your GPU and case link should be fixed
    You should have gotten i5-4690k and use the price gap to get better gpu,and you should get another 4gb stick of ram to run it dual chanell,other than that it is very nice build

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrawtf View Post
    Your GPU and case link should be fixed
    You should have gotten i5-4690k and use the price gap to get better gpu,and you should get another 4gb stick of ram to run it dual chanell,other than that it is very nice build
    I was going to fix the links but I cannot edit my starting post :/

Here is the Chassis I have.
    Here is the Graphics Card I have.

Sorry for the mix-up, I would edit it if I could

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tatenashi Sarashiki. View Post
    The Core i7-4790k is better overall for long term because if your CPU is struggling to do CPU heavy programs then you can always overclock it to get better performance later down the road if you choose do to so.

The R9-280 is a "good enough" graphics card to play pretty much most games at High settings at 1920 X 1080 resolution. And as far as what I recommend would pretty much rely on what your budget is.
    Alright, I will be taking your advice on the CPU and changing, thank you for the tip.

- Gabriel G.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    I was going to fix the links but I cannot edit my starting post :/

Here is the Chassis I have.
    Here is the Graphics Card I have.

Sorry for the mix-up, I would edit it if I could

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, I will be taking your advice on the CPU and changing, thank you for the tip.
    Oh god that is an ugly case. Chinese built case that only costs $15 to buy from a distributor.
    THE ABSOLUTE GREATEST

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    You couldn't buy the metal or the fans on this Chassis for 15$, it's worth more than that. More so what the hell is the point in spending 100$ or more on a chassis, unless your rough on your equipment, there is no point, and if you are rough, you shouldn't have nice electronics.

- Gabriel G.

Thanks
    A few positives and criticisms:

Pros:
    Good RAM
    Good Mobo
    GPU is a meh. A few bucks more on degrading the CPU would score you a 960, which is good.

Cons:
    CPU is wayyy to overkill and is even locked. I'd personally downgrade it and get a GPU for better price, as a 280 is good but not great.
    Case is AIDS. Only way to put it. Although you said it isn't really a factor, you can get a case that provides better airflow, actual warranty and support, for just a few bucks more, or even less. (Look: Corsair 750D, NXZT Source 210)

Other:
    What PSU/Cooler do you have?
    Do you still have any money? Are any of the items returnable?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by 3mpire View Post
    A few positives and criticisms:

Pros:
    Good RAM
    Good Mobo
    GPU is a meh. A few bucks more on degrading the CPU would score you a 960, which is good.

Cons:
    CPU is wayyy to overkill and is even locked. I'd personally downgrade it and get a GPU for better price, as a 280 is good but not great.
    Case is AIDS. Only way to put it. Although you said it isn't really a factor, you can get a case that provides better airflow, actual warranty and support, for just a few bucks more, or even less. (Look: Corsair 750D, NXZT Source 210)

Other:
    What PSU/Cooler do you have?
    Do you still have any money? Are any of the items returnable?
    I like overkill lol, no honestly I do a lot more on my computer than gaming, I do a lot of streaming at times, and even video editing. I do need a lot of CPU power so overkill for me is not a bad thing. Yes I can return the video card and get a better one. To give you an idea though, I am not looking to play games on maxed out settings 1980 res. I just want the ability to play ANY game that comes out without lag. 30+fps easy.

Knowing that, would you recommend a better video card still? If so I can spend a bit more to get a 250$+ card.

lol note to all users: Quit harping on meh case ya fuckers she is actually a very nice case, my core temps have never risen above 25 degrees Celsius. Two fans on the top, two on back, a massive one on the side, one on the front, one underneath, and one from the PSU Unit, the air flow is amazing, and I love the red LED effect. Are there better? Ya I am sure there are, MUCH better cases, but meh I like this one

- Gabriel G.

Thanks
    GTX 970
    R9 290
    Both $300.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by 3mpire View Post
    GTX 970
    R9 290
    Both $300.
    Are we looking at the same video card?? Mine is only $209.00 + tax + Free Shipping. Video Card

- Gabriel G.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    The links send me to some not-where-i-meant-to-go places.