Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful

The stigma around joining the army...

So recently i signed up for cadet school and i'm starting in the new year, but the thing is everyone i tell this to who doesn't know me assumes it was because i had no other options, and everyone who knows me trys to convince me to reconsider. The thing is i got really good grades in school and could have done really anything i wanted, i could of been a accountant or a lawyer but no i joined the Army.

When i told my economics teacher this he seemed very disappointed and told me how i was wasting my potential, but the thing is i really didn't want to be a account or a lawyer sitting in an office all day, i wanted to be out in somewhere like Somalia or Sudan helping keep the peace and help people in a way that mattered.

Anyway this was just my rant because i couldn't fit in all in a tweet :P

TLDR; Me ranting. do what makes you happy.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Thanks
    Have fun in the army.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GerrysamHD View Post
    The thing is i got really good grades in school and could have done really anything i wanted, i could of been a accountant or a lawyer but no i joined the Army.
    Why would you join the army then.
    Starting out in the Army Active Duty Soldier's make $18,378 (Keep in mind that the government considers you in poverty if you make below $22k a year).
    As a lawyer your starting pay is $100,000 - $160,000.

So you're telling me you COULD have been a lawyer with no trouble at all, but instead you want to live like a vagabond?
    I'm calling bull shit on this one.
    Last edited by Schuba; 10-05-2015 at 07:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    When schuba speaks, people listen

Donator: September 24th, 2014
    News Force: October 17th, 2015 - Current
    News Force Editor: February 4th, 2017 - April, 2017

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Schuba For This Useful Post:

Gill Bates (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuba View Post

Starting out in the Army Active Duty Soldier's make $18,378 (Keep in mind that the government considers you in poverty if you make below $22k a year).

So you're telling me you COULD have been a lawyer with no trouble at all, but instead you want to live like a vagabond?
    I wouldnt be so quick in calling bullshit. People can join the army for any reason regardless of pay and education

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Job View Post

I wouldnt be so quick in calling bullshit. People can join the army for any reason regardless of pay and education
    I agree completely. My girlfriend's Dad works for NASA and he got bored one day and joined the Army and now he's some high ass rank idk. So I agree with you. But at the same time, he gets paid $7,000 a week FOR NOT SHOWING UP. He gets close to triple that per week FOR SHOWING UP. Plus the fact he owns 2 other local businesses.
    It's hard to fend for yourself on $18k a year buddy.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful

I can also go back and do my exams after if i so decide, plus i'v always wanted to be an officer in the army so i asked myself why not go for it.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and the pay starts arround €32,000 a year
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Good luck making 100-160k a year on a normal lawyer salary. That's corporate shit. Most lawyers don't make shit.
    Successful Trades: 52

Scammed Trades: 6

Vouch Profile!

Consider donating to my PayPal!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Minnesota Dabs For This Useful Post:

Gill Bates (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post

Good luck making 100-160k a year on a normal lawyer salary. That's corporate shit. Most lawyers don't make shit.
    Yeah depends on how good you are and if you get a break

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Most likely you won't be doing what you want in the army, you belong to the government, stationed in some random location. Be a doctor, engineer, or someone that can contribute to society and you can help all those people in their without borders programs. Keeping the peace is a relatively simple thing to do, it's just expensive, anyone can teach someone to shoot a gun to keep people afraid, but try teaching anyone how to save the sick or build them infrastructure. But hey, it's your life, do whatever makes you happy, that's what matters the most.

Money itself is of relatively low consequence. "Smart" people generally don't have to rely on their jobs as their primary source of income. Never stick all your eggs in one basket.

v1.96 - Tutorials, Upgraded Town, Def Revamp
    v1.97 - Cutscenes/Quests, Friend List
    v1.98 - Classes, Necklace/Rings
    v1.99 - Guilds
    v2.00 - Open Beta

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arunforce For This Useful Post:

Gill Bates (10-05-2015),Hunter (10-05-2015),Lunatic (10-05-2015)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    This sounds like a decision you make when you are 15 years old.
    Also, if you think that "...helping keep the peace..." in foreign countries by killing/bringing violence to them makes you a better person than a lawyer, think again buddy.
    A lawyer helps people directly. (e.g. filing lawsuits against a company who mistreated them, discrimination, etc.)
    A soldier gives his life for his country, who have an agenda of their own, and not to "keep peace".
    A soldier can be called brave, indeed, and I respect them, but I think this story is BS. lol

Read what Arun states above, it is a more detailed version.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post

Those would be lawyers you know, or lawyers in a place where there is not a high demand for lawyers. I'll list two lawyers I know personally and tell you what (I've been told by their children along with family) their salaries are.
    My very good friend lives in Charleston South Carolina. I visit him 5 - 8 times a year, and his father is a lawyer. His mother does not work, and their house is worth $2,500k. His annual salary is around $1,000k a year. He also owns a $4,200k home in Miami Florida along with his Charleston home. The thing is, he commutes to Miami from Charleston. Miami is in high demand for skilled lawyers and that is what he is, a very skilled lawyer.
    Another lawyer I know makes much much less than the previously mentioned one, but it is still a high amount of money. My friend from my home town's Dad is a lawyer in Charlotte North Carolina. If you're not familiar with this city it's like Atlanta Georgia, just smaller. Skilled lawyers are also in high demand here. He makes around $400k a year. I know his salary mainly because he jokes about it at dinner sometimes whenever I eat with my friend and his family.

There are tons of lawyers who make more than the average $133k a year starting salary. The lawyers you're mentioning are in small firms that get no business anyway.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Good luck in the army!
    I'm basically doing 5 years in the military because I want sponsoring for university and when I'm finished I'll go into the private sector.

Thanks

Those would be lawyers you know, or lawyers in a place where there is not a high demand for lawyers. I'll list two lawyers I know personally and tell you what (I've been told by their children along with family) their salaries are.
    My very good friend lives in Charleston South Carolina. I visit him 5 - 8 times a year, and his father is a lawyer. His mother does not work, and their house is worth $2,500k. His annual salary is around $1,000k a year. He also owns a $4,200k home in Miami Florida along with his Charleston home. The thing is, he commutes to Miami from Charleston. Miami is in high demand for skilled lawyers and that is what he is, a very skilled lawyer.
    Another lawyer I know makes much much less than the previously mentioned one, but it is still a high amount of money. My friend from my home town's Dad is a lawyer in Charlotte North Carolina. If you're not familiar with this city it's like Atlanta Georgia, just smaller. Skilled lawyers are also in high demand here. He makes around $400k a year. I know his salary mainly because he jokes about it at dinner sometimes whenever I eat with my friend and his family.

There are tons of lawyers who make more than the average $133k a year starting salary. The lawyers you're mentioning are in small firms that get no business anyway.
    God damn, that is a lot of money.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    To tag onto what arunforce said but kind of address the stigma, the reason being for that stigma is because if you serve in the military/army for 4 years your entire college is paid for so people assume you're using it as a "vehicle" to success ie not doing good in school thus you decided to join the army.

Do what you want but I'd definitely reconsider and look at arunforce's advice and think about it. You are no less nor no more of a man for not joining / joining the army and there will be plenty of people to do it so don't think you're putting our country at risk.

God of Marketplace

Global Moderator since 09.23.2017
    Moderator Since 09.01.2016
    Minion+ Since 07.22.2016

Marketplace Minion Since 06.09.2016
    Trove Minion Since 06.06.2016
    Middleman Since 04.21.2016
    Social Engineering Minion Since 02.03.2016
    News FO Freelancer From 11.08.2015 to 07.23.2016
    News FO Head Editor From 08.23.2015 to 11.08.2015
    News FO Head Editor From 07.19.2012 to 08.11.2014
    MPGH News and News FO Founder