Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Need tech help (my mom is a retard)

Our iMac began crashing upon startup last night. I went into single-user mode and the error seemed to show a full hard drive. It would just black screen after the Apple logo.

I told my mom I'd see what I could do the next day. There was lots of personal info, pics, docs, etc. there.

Next day, she's given in the computer for repair. The repair man installed a new hard drive and now the old one is in my hand. How the fuck do I get the data? According to the repair man 'there is no data showing on it'.

Any items I can buy to DIY it? Since I don't wanna spend on recovery services

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Light View Post
    Our iMac began crashing upon startup last night. I went into single-user mode and the error seemed to show a full hard drive. It would just black screen after the Apple logo.

I told my mom I'd see what I could do the next day. There was lots of personal info, pics, docs, etc. there.

Next day, she's given in the computer for repair. The repair man installed a new hard drive and now the old one is in my hand. How the fuck do I get the data? According to the repair man 'there is no data showing on it'.

Unless you do a low level format or wipe your disk, there's no way you can't recover anything. In such case, there would be a mass damage over the disk surface, and neither the OS would appear on screen, it would just keep in black.
    Said that, I'm sorry to tell you that you will need to buy one of the following, eventually: Sata cable (in case you have a desk computer or by somehow your iMac has another Sata slot)/External HDD-SSD/Pendrive

I'm an experienced technician, and I can help you with this for some money. In case you're interested, chat me on Skype (click on the image at my signature to add me) and include this:

-How old is your HDD? Had it made any 'clock' sound when you turned your iMac on? What had you been doing when it stopped working? Was there any energy shutdown recently? Have you got a desk PC?
    -Open up the back of the iMac and take some photos for me (specially in the place for the HDD).

Once we sort the things above I'd be able to give an approximate price for this
    Last edited by Athos; 04-25-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    damn its a mac thats why there has to be some way the repairman can recover it though

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Just create a new partition and the computer is good as new.

Thanks
    >mac

but why

Quote Originally Posted by _Tavi View Post
    Skrillex and Justin bieber are great artists
    Quote Originally Posted by Transferred View Post
    i love donald trump.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Get an external hard drive dock plug it to a PC (I'm not sure if it can read the data on there), then transfer the data over to another external hard drive or flash drive?

Thanks

Show some respect to your mom you little shit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gab View Post

Show some respect to your mom you little shit
    lol fats u a funny dude

Quote Originally Posted by cornerpath View Post
    I NEED TO HELP PEOPLE IN HOUSTON TX UNBAN ME I don't deserve to be banned ever! I am damn near A perfect users do I look like "Dildotheking" to you guys??? I can see him being banned this long but not me!
    I am not very happy about this. Now I have to live with two infractions for the rest of my LIFE!! Over a little spamming. That's like me going to jail for 934563498 years for jaywalking. Now I have to hang and chat with the other low lives with infractions!!!!
    Hello, I would like to request Admin for A day. I have been in leader positions in certain things such as Roblox So I would hope you guys let me one day get od or Admin for A day
    Do not deal with this DEMON!!!!
    THIS GUY IS THE DEVIL!!! TRIED TO SCAM ME!

Global Moderator - October 2017
    Official News Team - June 2017
    Official Publicist - May 2017
    Moderator - May 2017
    Other MMORPGs Minion - May 2017
    Steam Minion - May 2017
    Minecraft Minion - May 2017
    Realm of the Mad God Minion - May 2017

The journey is over, I am finally GM. Thank you if you supported me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raple View Post

lol fats u a funny dude
    y u call me fat

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gab View Post

y u call me fat
    its ok ur my fat gabby

I NEED TO HELP PEOPLE IN HOUSTON TX UNBAN ME I don't deserve to be banned ever! I am damn near A perfect users do I look like "Dildotheking" to you guys??? I can see him being banned this long but not me!
    I am not very happy about this. Now I have to live with two infractions for the rest of my LIFE!! Over a little spamming. That's like me going to jail for 934563498 years for jaywalking. Now I have to hang and chat with the other low lives with infractions!!!!
    Hello, I would like to request Admin for A day. I have been in leader positions in certain things such as Roblox So I would hope you guys let me one day get od or Admin for A day
    Do not deal with this DEMON!!!!
    THIS GUY IS THE DEVIL!!! TRIED TO SCAM ME!

Global Moderator - October 2017
    Official News Team - June 2017
    Official Publicist - May 2017
    Moderator - May 2017
    Other MMORPGs Minion - May 2017
    Steam Minion - May 2017
    Minecraft Minion - May 2017
    Realm of the Mad God Minion - May 2017

The journey is over, I am finally GM. Thank you if you supported me.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Okay, so I got the hard drive dock and plugged it into my Windows laptop. It didn't show up, but after some digging I saw it was there in the Device Manager showing as a Removable USB device.

I downloaded a bunch of hardware recovery tools but none of them even seemed to detect the hard drive. (If it helps, every time I plugged it in the hard drive started whirring and buzzing like it normally did inside the Mac).

What I'm planning to do is to try and use the Mac itself to recover the hard drive instead of trying it with a Windows laptop. Would that make any difference (due to the different formatting)?

Thanks for the responses

We always want to see what is hidden by what we see.
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Okay, so I got the hard drive dock and plugged it into my Windows laptop. It didn't show up, but after some digging I saw it was there in the Device Manager showing as a Removable USB device.

I downloaded a bunch of hardware recovery tools but none of them even seemed to detect the hard drive. (If it helps, every time I plugged it in the hard drive started whirring and buzzing like it normally did inside the Mac).

What I'm planning to do is to try and use the Mac itself to recover the hard drive instead of trying it with a Windows laptop. Would that make any difference (due to the different formatting)?

Thanks for the responses
    Pretty sure you can't read the drive on Windows since it's formatted to the Mac specification (HFS+). I would insert the old drive back into the Mac, install Linux(ie Ubuntu since it's free) on a USB or CD drive, then run Linux and see if you can copy the files from the hard drive to a separate USB.

Member - IX.MMX
    Donator - XII.MMXI
    Middleman - IV.MMXII
    League of Legends Minion - V.MMXIV
    Editor - VI.MMXIV
    Other MMORPGs Minion - X.MMXIV
    Call of Duty Minion - XII.MMXIV
    CrossFire Minion - II.MMXV
    Steam Games Minion - III.MMXV
    Minion+ - IV.MMXV
    Former Staff - XI.MMXV

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataclypse View Post

Pretty sure you can't read the drive on Windows since it's formatted to the Mac specification (HFS+). I would insert the old drive back into the Mac, install Linux(ie Ubuntu since it's free) on a USB or CD drive, then run Linux and see if you can copy the files from the hard drive to a separate USB.
    Thanks.

So I used the case to plug it into Mac. It's not showing up in Finder nor in Disk Utility .-.

Thanks
    Plug it back into the windows laptop, and head to "Disk Management" (It's an application on your laptop installed already). If your laptop detected it, screenshot the whole page and upload it to imgur then link it here. Make sure to tag me so I can see see your reply.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    @Light the hard drive is probably HFS or whatever the mac bs format is, on ur pc just make a VM for OSX and you will have full access.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast