Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I think I mentioned this in the past, but take high school seriously.

The better the college's ranking is in USNEWs and Forbe's magazine, the less money you'll pay to attend.

I pay <$900 a semester for tuition, room & board, books, food, etc at a PRIVATE COLLEGE with no loans.
    I've seen kids in my high school who blew their secondary school record and now attend some state university w/ $8,000+ loans a year and $5,000 up-front-cash. That's $13,000 a year + interest.

Of course, these kids are the also the ones calling for socialized higher-education.
    Last edited by Hyperion; 12-05-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post

I don't know where this rumor started, but a CEO isn't going to hire you, a college drop-out, to be a high-ranking executive over his company when he can hire a Harvard MBA even if you are close friends with the CEO.
    What if I dont want to be hired into some executive company? I make a living for myself and still have money to live comfortably. An education is important, but you overvalue it. I am not a college drop out as I never went. I scored in the top percentage of my high school in the SAT's and was offered plenty of opportunities to go to college. I turned them all down because I have real world skills and already had job offers from places that would hire me just fine.

Its a personal lifestyle choice, and in the end depends on what you want to do. If you want to work in a cooperation or formal business, a college degree would be more important than if you wanted to work for family, or a specific area of work. So I am not going to put myself under for tens of thousands of dollars for a slip of paper that says I made good grades, when I can go out and actually work for a living.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angry
    EDUCATION IS FUCKED! ITT ALWAYS HAS BEEN!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by derpderp View Post
    What if I dont want to be hired into some executive company? I make a living for myself and still have money to live comfortably. An education is important, but you overvalue it. I am not a college drop out as I never went. I scored in the top percentage of my high school in the SAT's and was offered plenty of opportunities to go to college. I turned them all down because I have real world skills and already had job offers from places that would hire me just fine.

Its a personal lifestyle choice, and in the end depends on what you want to do. If you want to work in a cooperation or formal business, a college degree would be more important than if you wanted to work for family, or a specific area of work. So I am not going to put myself under for tens of thousands of dollars for a slip of paper that says I made good grades, when I can go out and actually work for a living.
    So you want to tell us what you do for a living?

I used to sell "game hacks" and run a racist blog and pull in 130k+ annually.

The only people without a college degree who manage to make 60k+ tend to be their own bosses.
    I'm not going to assume that you're a liar since I have no proof, but employers don't tend to hire high school grads and pay them decently.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    i agree with derp, if schools not for you and u have a hands on job, college is a waste...electritions, carpentars, masons etc make a lot of money...not saying you are one derp im just saying that in general.

but for a "high-end" job, you need a college degreee.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zen For This Useful Post:

Obama (12-05-2010)

Thanks
    So you want to tell us what you do for a living?

The only people without a college degree who manage to make 60k+ tend to be their own bosses.
    I'm not going to assume that you're a liar since I have no proof, but employers don't tend to hire high school grads and pay them decently.
    I mainly work on farms around where I live. Its a good steady income and I make around $10 an hour. Its not consistent, and many people just choose to pay me for the day, but for me its far better living than having a formal job. I also have become a little known around the community for being a tech head, so if people have issues with their computers or electronics they will ask me. I do most stuff for free but I have managed to make money off it. I also have a friend who works at a rental service for electronics (renting XBOX's for parties and stuff) and also DJ's a little. I will help him with his stuff every now and then and make really good money doing that.

All of these are perfect examples of how just having the proper skills and knowing how to use them is far better than having a college degree. I have other sources of income, but none that I can say are steady. So by knowing a few people, and having a good skillset I am making better money than my friends in college, and have a much easier life. I grew up with the work so its not even hard for me. But I am looking to get a degree in computer engineering eventually, and possibly graphical design after that. But would I need to? No. That is just other plans I have.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Dont believe everything hyperion says, he has a Doctorate degree in trolling. Proven fact.

Thanks
    i got high school diploma and enrolled in a university and i can't find one fucking job..then again, i'm from michigan..

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Derp, i agree its a good income, but i wouldnt say its better then a college degree...you have taken the saying "do what you love and find a way to make money off of it" real, but i cant lie man, no matter how hard you work, the Worttman (spelling it wrong) Businees school of Upenn, has an average starting salary of 320k for its graduates. =/

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    Wohoo education

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Derp, i agree its a good income, but i wouldnt say its better then a college degree...you have taken the saying "do what you love and find a way to make money off of it" real, but i cant lie man, no matter how hard you work, the Worttman (spelling it wrong) Businees school of Upenn, has an average starting salary of 320k for its graduates. =/
    Which frankly, is more money than I would ever know what to do with. I have a few grand saved for emergencies, and some more money in the bank + cash on hand, and none of that tops over $10k But I still live very comfortable. Having a ton of money in the bank is useless as you will never use it.

But like I said before, it really depends on what you want to do. I cant stand the thought of working in some office somewhere, but if someone want to then power to em. So in the end the necessity of a college degree is all dependent on where you plan to go in life.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    AOK troll bait ahahahah

THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311

HAD VIRTUAL DETOX

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    Isnt he still supposed to be banned for trolling D:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Ban dat trolling rat faced bitch

THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311

HAD VIRTUAL DETOX

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    u a troll too, for real

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast