Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Columbine: The Game

So apparently some indie developer is making a game made to simulate the columbine shooting, along side the Virginia Tech, and Sasebo elementary. Not just like a game where you pretend its a school, the levels were designed after cafeterias and gyms, and populated with innocent people that you run around and slaughter. Apparently the developers are taking the "Use this game as an excuse instead of shooting up your real school" excuse. Saying how game violence does not effect real violence, and that making a shooter like this is harmless.

I really think they dont understand how things work. Violence in video games is not what makes people go shoot up schools, but rather, personal problems with other people, or financial problems, or just a natural sociopathic tenancy. People do not play video games and get violent, people ARE violent, and after being provoked long enough, tend to fight back. Video games have never had anything to do with this type of violence. The only real video game violence is the kind of outbursts from people who have anger issues, and usually react violently after being beaten, or finding out they cant play anymore. But anything could provoke that, not just video games. People get angry while driving because other people get in their way, and then they get road rage. Are you going to turn around and say it was not the driver, but the car that caused the violence? No.

I can understand what they mean, that vidya-violence has nothing to do with real violence, but there is something wrong with making a game about real life events, and I think the majority of the wrongness of this, comes from the fact that their reason for making it is objectionable. (see above) When you miss the mark about video game violence, then you have no real reason to make a game about shooting up schools. Primarily because the game is not going to be a "substitute for real violence" as people that shoot up schools are not 'normal' people, but rather suppressed individuals, or problematic, or just messed up in the head, and playing video games is not going to cure them of whatever is wrong with them.

I would personally have no problem with playing a game like this, ignoring the fact of how boring it would be, but I do believe that it is quite messed up for it to be made in the first place. And not only because of moral objections, but primarily from the fact that this only makes it seem as if vidya-violence DOES effect people irl.

Oh, original story I found is here: and there is a link to an interview the Escapist did with them on that page. Kotaku, the Gamer?s Guide

/discuss

I'm a Buddhist, Christian, Paramedic, Vegan, Straight Edge Pimp
    But most of all, I am the flyest one you will ever meet.

Thanks
    I would love to shoot innocent people. Sounds fun

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Im not reading that Fuck you. cant make me.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I would love to shoot innocent people. Sounds fun
    Its not about the violence in the game, as there is plenty of other games more violent in that sense, its more about their reason for making it, and the fact they are modeling it after real life shootings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by z11 View Post
    Its not about the violence in the game, as there is plenty of other games more violent in that sense, its more about their reason for making it, and the fact they are modeling it after real life shootings.
    Oh, yeah, no shit. Now that's bad.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by M2A View Post
    Im not reading that Fuck you. cant make me.
    For anyone else tl;dr:

They are making a game based of of real life school killings, and are saying it is to be a substitute for real violence by playing their game, but they fail to realize that school killings have never had anything to do with video games, but rather the issues of the individual, and this game is going to go nowhere to prove that vidya-violence has no effect on people, but rather, do the opposite.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Looks like a fun game.
    Idc, if it has to do with real life shootings, nothing better then killing people :P

Btw, that gun reminds me of Garrys Mod.
    Do not pity the dead, pity the living.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex454 View Post
    Looks like a fun game.
    Idc, if it has to do with real life shootings, nothing better then killing people :P

only because it used hl2 engline /fp

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post

only because it used hl2 engline /fp
    Yeah, I realize that.
    Do not pity the dead, pity the living.

Thanks
    sounds fun

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by alex454 View Post
    Looks like a fun game.

Its written in the source engine so ofc it looks like garrys mod. And if vidya-violence is what suits you, there is more violent games out there. Postal immediately comes to mind.

But again, this is not about the actual shooting in the game, but rather, the point behind it, and the fact its based of real events. The shooting itself is probably nothing as violent as even games like CoD of Halo.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Hmmmmmmm interesting I wonder how this is going to play out though. could get video games banned now and forever or can prove a point for all gamers Hmmmmmmm Witch one is it worth the risk?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by M2A View Post
    Hmmmmmmm interesting I wonder how this is going to play out though. could get video games banned now and forever or can prove a point for all gamers Hmmmmmmm Witch one is it worth the risk?
    Its not ending up well for video games, because like I said, the developers missed the point entirely. This game is only going to strengthen the argument that video games cause violence, and it really doesnt help that that argument is going to be coming right from the video game industry.

I love violence in games just as much as anyone, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing Postal 2. But that is not what causes violence irl, and the devs dont realize that.

Thanks
    Having it Based off Real Events seems somewhat intelligible,
    since apparently it interests more people than it does discouraging others.
    /:
    GTFO

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m_t_h View Post
    sounds fun
    thats what I said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast