Thread: Question

Thanks

Question

So for everyone that doesnt know, Ive been moving out of my house, into a new one, and am trying to get the internet here squared away at my new house. But the house is a little old, and the phone jacks that are close to my room where my computer is are dead. There is one on the other side of the house which is about 50 feet away.

So right now I am connected through wireless, which is sketchy at best. The house is a mason one, made out of cinderblocks and concrete. So even though I bought a decent Linksys router, I still have a shitty wireless connection. Im getting less than 1mbit download here, and the speed should be about 3mbit. (a drop from my 6.5 at the old house /bawww)

So my question is: How bad would it effect the strength of the connection, if I ran about 60 feet of ethernet cable from the router on the other side of the house, outside, and back in my room here? There is an option to hook up a new modem and then run about 25-50 feet through the wall to here thanks to me just finding a live phone jack in the living room. But that is going to be about $20 or $30 more expensive.

Before anyone cries about wrong section, the help sections are pretty quiet, and I need to know by like, tomorrow with some decent responses, so inb4spamanyways. I would normally just figure these things out myself, but working with networking has always been shady territory for me, as I am more of a hardware person.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I don't think it would do much at all to your speed, maybe take a second or two longer to connect but you should be fine.

SuperBadassExtraordinaire says (5:53 PM):
    babysitting is ghey
    Corndog says (5:53 PM):
    ur ghey
    Baron De Montesquieu..Wtf? [Czar] says (5:53 PM):
    you're a breaded hotdog

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Poor derp
    Love you all

~BE A PART OF MPGH. JOIN GROUPS~

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻
    ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Quote Originally Posted by KingDot
    Flame bait and instigate

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DickLovingFaggotBitch View Post
    I don't think it would do much at all to your speed, maybe take a second or two longer to connect but you should be fine.
    Thats kinda what Im worried about. If it effects ping in games much. Because I went from 30-50 ping (in mw2) at my old house, to the lowest being 110 on this wireless connection.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by derpderp View Post
    Thats kinda what Im worried about. If it effects ping in games much. Because I went from 30-50 ping (in mw2) at my old house, to the lowest being 110 on this wireless connection.
    Yea, your ping is going to go up a little from a long cable, but not much
    save up, get good internets
    life is nothing without a connection to the rest of the world

SuperBadassExtraordinaire says (5:53 PM):
    babysitting is ghey
    Corndog says (5:53 PM):
    ur ghey
    Baron De Montesquieu..Wtf? [Czar] says (5:53 PM):
    you're a breaded hotdog

Thanks
    Good internets doesnt exist way out here in the sticks. 10mbit is about as good as it gets. Im starting to wonder if there is another way. Its not high up on my list of shit to get fixed atm, but its starting to piss me off. Its constantly freezing up now.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    If I were in the position, I'd go with the wired set up. From my past experience networking my house and few friend's, 50' wouldn't affect your ping that much at all. Most users prefer wired over wireless anyways, and with the home details you gave, you probably won't have that great of signal with wireless. Just from my Linksys into a room down the hall, the signal drops immensely, and this Linksys has rangeboost and all that junk. =\

EDIT:
    Code:
    DC-Loop resistance      ≤ 0.188         Ω/m

Propagation speed       0.64            c

Propagation delay       4.80-5.30       ns/m

Delay skew < 100 MHz    < 0.20          ns/m
    In that, the only shit you need to look at is the 2nd and 3rd lines. That said, I'm only talking about propagation delay (latency, as you know it). There are other concerns that arise if you're trying to make a REALLY long cable (like >300 feet). You get signal degradation past that. I'd go into more detail, but my Transmission Lines knowledge is a bit fuzzy now.
    Last edited by Killian; 03-27-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    '08 MPGH OG

You get the bag and fumble it
    I get the bag and flip it and tumble it
    Straight out the lot, 300 cash
    And the car came with a blunt in it
    Lil mama a thot, and she got ass
    And she gon' fuck up a bag
    Pull up to the spot, livin' too fast
    Droppin' the dope in the stash
    In Italy, got two foreign hoes, they DM me
    Drop the top when it's cold
    But you feel the heat
    Be real with me, just be real with me
    Eat it up like it's a feast
    They say the dope on fleek

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    If I were in the position, I'd go with the wired set up. From my past experience networking my house and few friend's, 50' wouldn't affect your ping that much at all. Most users prefer wired over wireless anyways, and with the home details you gave, you probably won't have that great of signal with wireless. Just from my Linksys into a room down the hall, the signal drops immensely, and this Linksys has rangeboost and all that junk. =\

EDIT:
    Code:
    DC-Loop resistance      ≤ 0.188         Ω/m

Propagation speed       0.64            c

Propagation delay       4.80-5.30       ns/m

Delay skew < 100 MHz    < 0.20          ns/m
    In that, the only shit you need to look at is the 2nd and 3rd lines. That said, I'm only talking about propagation delay (latency, as you know it). There are other concerns that arise if you're trying to make a REALLY long cable (like >300 feet). You get signal degradation past that. I'd go into more detail, but my Transmission Lines knowledge is a bit fuzzy now.
    Ahh that seems to be a little better. So using about 60 feet of cable would not have a very big impact over using just a regular 10 foot or so?
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by derpderp View Post
    Ahh that seems to be a little better. So using about 60 feet of cable would not have a very big impact over using just a regular 10 foot or so?
    Nope. Not much at all. Once you exceed 95 meters, then you'll start having signal problems, and will probably need a repeater.
    Last edited by Killian; 03-27-2011 at 10:26 PM.
    '08 MPGH OG

You get the bag and fumble it
    I get the bag and flip it and tumble it
    Straight out the lot, 300 cash
    And the car came with a blunt in it
    Lil mama a thot, and she got ass
    And she gon' fuck up a bag
    Pull up to the spot, livin' too fast
    Droppin' the dope in the stash
    In Italy, got two foreign hoes, they DM me
    Drop the top when it's cold
    But you feel the heat
    Be real with me, just be real with me
    Eat it up like it's a feast
    They say the dope on fleek

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    Honestly wire length shouldn't be much of a problem, as long as you don't have a bunch of extra coiled up which could cause line interference. Just keep in mind that data travels at the speed of light no matter how you put it, I would go with a long wired set up over a shitty wireless signal any day.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iverson954360 For This Useful Post:

Luke420 (03-27-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by iverson954360 View Post
    Honestly wire length shouldn't be much of a problem, as long as you don't have a bunch of extra coiled up which could cause line interference. Just keep in mind that data travels at the speed of light no matter how you put it, I would go with a long wired set up over a shitty wireless signal any day.
    yeh thats true
    inFAMOUS
    It is the best game

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    Quote Originally Posted by iverson954360 View Post
    ya fucking right fuck wifi i have a 300foot cable runing from my modem

Thanks
    sounds like Im good anyways. The only reason I asked is because I read something somewhere about long wires having problems, but I guess its good. I should be able to set it up within the next few days, and then I will just have to worry about the connection itself. I have been getting really mixed results from speed/ping tests from around the house.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low