Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabuuty671 View Post
    You can't be addicted to computers unless, if possible prove me wrong; that your body has developed a chemical need for you to play games and type and waste your time on a computer. If you can't experience a real withdrawal and you can almost NOT live without it; then you're addicted.
    Same goes with Weed; you can't be addicted to it... You can be obsessed but not addicted.
    Simple shit; get the fuck off and find something better to do. Get a girlfriend; or boyfriend if you roll that way.
    If he derives pleasure from being on the computer or playing video games then he can be addicted to it.

The pleasure center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by iverson954360 View Post

If he derives pleasure from being on the computer or playing video games then he can be addicted to it.

The pleasure center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Does psychological addiction have withdrawal symptoms like chemical addiction? If so, to what degree, in relativity to chemical addiction.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    its normal; you will get over it..

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post

Does psychological addiction have withdrawal symptoms like chemical addiction? If so, to what degree, in relativity to chemical addiction.
    This is just speculation but I think since chemically inducing pleasure releases a lot more dopamine/serotonin then any normal pleasure inducing activity then it makes sense that the withdrawal can be severely difficult and in some cases painful. In terms of addiction to normal activities I think the degree of withdrawal will obviously be less as well as the kind of symptoms. In a case like this I think it would just be like kicking a hard habit like chewing on erasers or drinking soda, more of an annoying feeling, like when you have an impulse but know you can't satisfy it (like wanting ice cream but not having any), than say feeling physical pain.
    Last edited by iverson954360; 01-04-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    makes sense.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy
    Well hmmm im 16 and this is what I do. I go to work after school or when i don't work i hang out with friends occasionaly playing xbox at home. go out hunting or play some kinda rec sport. don't sit on your ass finding stupid shit like the pc your only entertainment.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Last edited by Swiftdude; 01-04-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    Still love you Giggletron

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Firstly, you can be psychologically addicted to computers and the internet as a few people have already said (I read a study a while ago saying that psychologically the internet can be as addictive as cocaine), but because you are not chemically/physically addicted to it then it shouldn't be as hard to shake.

Secondly, a lot of people probably spend as much time as you on the computer. What is making your eyes tired is the lack of sleep. WHEN YOU SLEEP, YOUR BODY RESTS -- INCLUDING YOUR EYES. Lack of sleep = poorly rested body. If you sit following ergonomic procedures, it shouldn't strain your eyes much at all. It's summer holidays here at the moment, meaning I go to sleep at 11pm and wake up at 10. That's 11 hours of sleep a night. Granted you need not get that much sleep, but try to aim for 9, preferably 10 hours a night. Go to sleep roughly the same time each night, and eat food the same time at daytime to help get your body into a healthy digestive and resting routine.

If you've ever tried to ween yourself of drugs or any sort of addiction, you know that quitting cold turkey isn't the best way to do it. For example, when I was 10 I played PS2 pretty much all day and everyday. I played Canis Canem Edit (Bully) a lot. One night, I started having lucid nightmares about the game. These nightmares continued for weeks. I decided that it was caused by playing the game constantly, and letting it creep into my every thought. So I tried to stop playing PS2 for 1 week to see if I was right, and suffered a pretty nasty psychological withdrawal. After failing miserably to quit, I decided the best way to quit for to slowly ween myself off. It worked, and I barely get nightmares anymore even if that was a long time ago.

Even though you can probably put your eye strain down to sleep deprivation rather than computer addiction, you should still try to ween yourself off technology for a healthier lifestyle. Technology is fun, but you don't want to look back on your life a few years in the future and think about all the time you wasted on the internet when you could have been having fun. Like it or not -- these are the best years of your life. Since I'm a nice guy and I have nothing better to do, here's a few tips on what to do instead of going on the computer. **This is my schedule, yours may be different depending on what time you go to school etc.**

11pm - Sleep (school)
    8am - wake up
    8 to 8:30am - get ready for school
    8:45am - begin school
    2:45pm - finish school
    3:00pm - arrive home
    3 to 3:45pm - ride bike/jog
    4 to 5:00pm - study for exams/do home work (more or less time accordingly)
    5-6:00pm - talk to friends through social networking OR video gaming
    6 to 7pm - eat dinner, shower
    7pm - Go on computer/play games
    9:30pm - read
    10:30 - go to bed
    11 to 11:30pm - fall asleep (it usually takes me more than an hour to fall asleep).

Ideas for what to do instead:
    • Get a job
    • Exercise (cycling, jogging, resistance exercises)
    • Hang out with friends
    • Take up a hobby (construction, art, cooking, growing plants, reading)
    • Get a partner (very important)

The world is full of fun things to do, many of which are free and a lot more worthwhile than sitting on a computer. Go for a walk somewhere. Have sex. Do whatever. I spend less than 4 hours on a computer during school days, and I live an enjoyable and healthy lifestyle. Just go out and find something you enjoy doing and do it.

-Sam

R.I.P a great GM

Quote Originally Posted by Assalamu alaikum View Post
    what? maybe stop talk with riddles and with words i am not even know.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Physcadelic For This Useful Post:

Typical Male (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftdude View Post
    If you sit in front of a monitor for a long ass time, the strain is going to take it's toll. Ever had red eyes after marathon session or something similar? That's capillaries popping in your eyes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iverson954360 View Post

This is just speculation but I think since chemically inducing pleasure releases a lot more dopamine/serotonin then any normal pleasure inducing activity then it makes sense that the withdrawal can be severely difficult and in some cases painful. In terms of addiction to normal activities I think the degree of withdrawal will obviously be less as well as the kind of symptoms. In a case like this I think it would just be like kicking a hard habit like chewing on erasers or drinking soda, more of an annoying feeling, like when you have an impulse but know you can't satisfy it (like wanting ice cream but not having any), than say feeling physical pain.
    I like scratching my arm really hard, the burning sensation feels damn good.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Quote Originally Posted by InCognito View Post

I like scratching my arm really hard, the burning sensation feels damn good.
    I thought I was the only one.

R.I.P a great GM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physcadelic View Post

I thought I was the only one.
    It's not sexual pleasure like most masochistic acts, but when I do it, it feels like my arm is on fire and feels damn good for some reason.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Quote Originally Posted by InCognito View Post

It's not sexual pleasure like most masochistic acts, but when I do it, it feels like my arm is on fire and feels damn good for some reason.
    I know exactly what you mean. But I can't do it in front of people without 'harp derp why are you trying to hurt yourself? do u need therapy?'.

R.I.P a great GM

Thanks
    Do something related to computers but not actually be on it.

Build a computer case, desk, or something.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Physcadelic View Post

I know exactly what you mean. But I can't do it in front of people without 'harp derp why are you trying to hurt yourself? do u need therapy?'.
    Glad i'm not alone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast