Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 98
  1. #1
    Azathᴏth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    49°51′S 128°34′W
    Posts
    13,526
    Reputation
    1136
    Thanks
    1,683
    My Mood
    Lurking

    To jailbreak, or not to jailbreak?

    I just got my iPhone 2 days ago, and I'm considering JBing it. Should I do it? Advantages? Disadvantages? Last time I JBed an iDevice was about 2 years ago with my old Touch 3g. Hopefully jailbreaking has improved since then.

  2. #2
    Ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    female
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    18,294
    Reputation
    1007
    Thanks
    1,163
    My Mood
    In Love
    Free apps





  3. #3
    Azathᴏth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    49°51′S 128°34′W
    Posts
    13,526
    Reputation
    1136
    Thanks
    1,683
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Polos Bitch View Post
    Free apps
    NOT AN ACCEPTABLE ANSWER.

  4. #4
    Ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    female
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    18,294
    Reputation
    1007
    Thanks
    1,163
    My Mood
    In Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post


    NOT AN ACCEPTABLE ANSWER.
    Advantage: Free Apps
    Disadvantage: Broken






  5. #5
    Polo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    /197/ or /335/
    Posts
    12,263
    Reputation
    723
    Thanks
    13,321
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Yeah, jailbreak it. It's 10x better than a regular iPhone. If you'd like to me to list some ways how, just ask me .

  6. #6
    Azathᴏth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    49°51′S 128°34′W
    Posts
    13,526
    Reputation
    1136
    Thanks
    1,683
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Yeah, jailbreak it. It's 10x better than a regular iPhone. If you'd like to me to list some ways how, just ask me .
    Please do.

  7. #7
    Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,746
    Reputation
    333
    Thanks
    1,456
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Jail break: Advantages Free
    Disadvantages : None really.
    Resource Team: Feb/5/2012 - May/5/2012
    Middleman: April/25/2012 - September/16/12


  8. #8
    Azathᴏth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    49°51′S 128°34′W
    Posts
    13,526
    Reputation
    1136
    Thanks
    1,683
    My Mood
    Lurking
    You guys are not being specific at all. I know these aspects.


  9. #9
    Polo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    /197/ or /335/
    Posts
    12,263
    Reputation
    723
    Thanks
    13,321
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post


    Please do.
    Alright. Kinda tired so please excuse me if i start to make no sense or if i start repeating myself.

    1. You get any app you'd like for free.
    2. You can install something called SBSettings which really makes using your iPhone a lot more convenient.
    3. It frees up your iPhone so that you could do things that you wouldn't regularly be able to do, such as Facetime on 3G, Wifi Tethering without purchasing the data plan, and much more. Those are only two main tweaks.
    4. You can theme your iDevice..
    5. Lastly, one of the main reasons i jailbroke was because [if you got the iPhone 4], Siri will soon be available to you to use. So instead of paying an extra $100, you get it for free.
    Last edited by Polo; 02-07-2012 at 11:33 PM.

  10. #10
    Azathᴏth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    49°51′S 128°34′W
    Posts
    13,526
    Reputation
    1136
    Thanks
    1,683
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post


    Alright. Kinda tired so please excuse me if i start to make no sense or if i start repeating myself.

    1. You get any app you'd like for free.
    2. You can install something called SBSettings which really makes using your iPhone a lot more convenient.
    3. It frees up your iPhone so that you could do things that you wouldn't regularly be able to do, such as Facetime on 3G, Wifi Tethering without purchasing the data plan, and much more. Those are only two main tweaks.
    4. You can theme your iDevice..
    5. Lastly, one of the main reasons i jailbroke was because [if you got the iPhone 4], Siri will soon be available to you to use. So instead of paying an extra $100, you get it for free.
    You press a hard bargain sir.

  11. #11
    Tall kiwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Living in Kiwi land
    Posts
    4,536
    Reputation
    325
    Thanks
    573
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    do it and get touchgrind bmx
    Oh hai der.

  12. #12
    Shaun_707's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    ★Australia ★
    Posts
    518
    Reputation
    34
    Thanks
    360
    My Mood
    Amazed
    I recommend you jailbreak it!
    It has many advantages over a non-jailbroken iPhone.
    First of all, it allows you to use more of your iPhone. By jailbreaking, you can remove the software restrictions.
    Like @Blaze said, SBSettings is a must-have for jailbroken users.
    It allows you to pull down from your status bar a little menu that has options to enable or disable connections like WiFi, bluetooth or change the brightness all at your convenience instead of going to your Settings.app and doing that. Secondly, as most of people said here, you can obtain free apps (Cracked) from Cydia.app (When you jailbreak your phone, you'll get this application) via Installous.app. Although I do not support pirating apps, you can install them for free by searching it and pressing download. You can install an UI customization app called Winterboard.app which allows you to have total customizations on your iPhone, such as changing the icons themes, dock color and style, different sounds and much more. You can also hack games like Fruit Ninja to get crazy scores or have infinte bullet or health in Modern Combat 3 for example!

    Now the cons... Did some research for the cons for you
    First, not a big problem but jailbreaking does void your warranty and won't receive customer support if you are stupid enough to bring the phone to Apple while it's jalbroken. However, you can always do a clean install of iOS and there is no way for Apple to find out.
    Seond, let's say you're on iOS 5.0.1. A new jailbreak comes out and you're all happy BUT Apple decides to release iOS 5.1 after about three months...
    Then you can't update as it will break your jailbreak and should wait until another jailbreak comes out for the new firmware version.
    Third, you may sometimes experience instability when you install and tweak the stuff that you don't know well.
    Other then these, you would be fine

    If you want, I can show you how to jailbreak the current firmware and tell you some must-have Cydia sources and tweaks!
    Just PM me if you want :P

  13. #13
    Polo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    /197/ or /335/
    Posts
    12,263
    Reputation
    723
    Thanks
    13,321
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun_707 View Post
    I recommend you jailbreak it!
    It has many advantages over a non-jailbroken iPhone.
    First of all, it allows you to use more of your iPhone. By jailbreaking, you can remove the software restrictions.
    Like @Blaze said, SBSettings is a must-have for jailbroken users.
    It allows you to pull down from your status bar a little menu that has options to enable or disable connections like WiFi, bluetooth or change the brightness all at your convenience instead of going to your Settings.app and doing that. Secondly, as most of people said here, you can obtain free apps (Cracked) from Cydia.app (When you jailbreak your phone, you'll get this application) via Installous.app. Although I do not support pirating apps, you can install them for free by searching it and pressing download. You can install an UI customization app called Winterboard.app which allows you to have total customizations on your iPhone, such as changing the icons themes, dock color and style, different sounds and much more. You can also hack games like Fruit Ninja to get crazy scores or have infinte bullet or health in Modern Combat 3 for example!

    Now the cons... Did some research for the cons for you
    First, not a big problem but jailbreaking does void your warranty and won't receive customer support if you are stupid enough to bring the phone to Apple while it's jalbroken. However, you can always do a clean install of iOS and there is no way for Apple to find out.
    Seond, let's say you're on iOS 5.0.1. A new jailbreak comes out and you're all happy BUT Apple decides to release iOS 5.1 after about three months...
    Then you can't update as it will break your jailbreak and should wait until another jailbreak comes out for the new firmware version.
    Third, you may sometimes experience instability when you install and tweak the stuff that you don't know well.
    Other then these, you would be fine

    If you want, I can show you how to jailbreak the current firmware and tell you some must-have Cydia sources and tweaks!
    Just PM me if you want :P
    Okay, you said
    Seond, let's say you're on iOS 5.0.1. A new jailbreak comes out and you're all happy BUT Apple decides to release iOS 5.1 after about three months...
    Explain to me how that makes sense?

    -You're on iOS 5.0.1
    -A new jailbreak comes out. (wtf ? for what ?)
    -But Apple decides to release iOS 5.1 after three months? (??????)

    The only part i understood was that you're on iOS 5.0.1.

  14. #14
    Shaun_707's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    ★Australia ★
    Posts
    518
    Reputation
    34
    Thanks
    360
    My Mood
    Amazed
    /Herp Derp
    I meant when a jailbreak comes out for iOS 5.0.1, you're happy for three months until Apple releases iOS 5.1. Then the jailbreak is broken on the new firmware so you have to wait for a new jailbreak to come out for the new firmware which might take a while?
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post


    Okay, you said

    Explain to me how that makes sense?

    -You're on iOS 5.0.1
    -A new jailbreak comes out. (wtf ? for what ?)
    -But Apple decides to release iOS 5.1 after three months? (??????)

    The only part i understood was that you're on iOS 5.0.1.

  15. #15
    Polo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    /197/ or /335/
    Posts
    12,263
    Reputation
    723
    Thanks
    13,321
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    /derp.

    Then just stay on your old jailbroken firmware until the new jailbreak comes out for the new firmware .


Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help with Jailbreak Riot Mode
    By pojo114 in forum Alliance of Valiant Arms (AVA) Hacks & Cheats
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-27-2009, 05:28 PM
  2. Jailbreaking ipod?
    By epshreeman5 in forum Entertainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-25-2009, 01:43 PM
  3. QuickFreedom Jailbreak
    By BSG.Flash in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:39 AM
  4. Jailbreak virus prob
    By irav in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 11:37 AM
  5. Jailbreaking iPod touch 2G
    By Dorado in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2009, 12:48 PM