Installation and Patching Instructions for BitDefender 2011 Products:
1. Install your chosen BitDefender 2011 product using preferably the installer downloaded from the appropriate BitDefender direct links indicated above. During installation process:
a) Two checkboxes will appear saying "I want to evaluate BD for 30 days" or "I want to register BD with licence key", choose "I want to evaluate BD for 30 days".
b) You will be required to sign into a previous account or to create a new one, select "Create New Account" and simply type any fake e-mail format, such as (don't use exactly this, it's just a sample, there have been reports that BitDefender servers is rejecting it)
You can use 10 Minute Mail For This Step.
and a password (such as ABCD1234).
c) Then, a new window will appear where BitDefender will ask you if you would like to be informed about special offers and promotions using the e-mail address of your account. Since you are entering a fake data, select the option "Do not send me any messages" and click "Submit" to complete the installation process.
After installation has finished DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.
2. Download to your Desktop the Patch by BOX 3.1 from any of the above mentioned links.
If you cannot download the Patch by BOX 3.1 because BitDefender 2011 is blocking or deleting it, then proceed as follows:
a) Firstly set your BitDefender 2011 in "Expert Mode" by clicking the "Settings" button located at the top right of BitDefender window.
b) Now click the "Antivirus" Tab => In the "Shield" tab, untick "Real-time protection is enabled", a warning window will appear. Leave it in 5 (five) minutes and click "OK". Now download the patch by BOX 3.1 from any of above links and once you have finished said task, restart your PC in "Safe Mode" to run and apply the patch in said mode.
3. Restart your computer but boot it into Safe Mode (F8) using an account with Administrator's rights. To boot in Safe Mode in Windows XP, Vista or 7 proceed as follows:
a) Restart the computer. Immediately after the screen goes blank for the first time, or after the BIOS post ends, start taping the F8 key repeatedly.
b) The Windows Advanced Options menu appears on a black screen.
c) Choose "Safe Mode" and press ENTER.
d) Log onto your account which should have Administrator's rights or onto the Administrator's account. If a password was never set, leave the password blank and press "Enter" and after a while you are under Windows Safe Mode GUI.
(If BitDefender 2011 has already been installed, then see Note A below.)
4. Once in Windows Safe Mode, open the file "Box_BD2011_3.1.rar" located in your Desktop and extract the Patch ("Box_BD2011.exe") to said place. Double click the Patch to run it and execute it by clicking the "Year 2045" button or, in case you have not disabled UAC, right click on "Box_BD2011.exe" and choose "Run as Administrator" and then proceed as indicated. When patching has been finished a small window will pop-up telling you that the patching was successful. Now it is suggested that the patch be deleted because it will be detected as a virus/trojan by BitDefender, however IT IS WORTH MENTIONING THAT THE PATCH 3.1 BY BOX IS SAFE AND CLEAN. Such possible circumstance is called "FALSE POSITIVE".
5. Now restart your PC in Windows Normal Mode.
6. Open Bitdefender GUI, click the "Registration" tab and in the "Registration Information" area check that your BitDefender 2011 product expires in about 13000 days.
7. Adjust your BitDefender 2011 product settings, update it and you are done. Afterwards and at your convenience, you may conduct a full scan of your computer but bear in mind that for a not newly formated PC the scanning may take a long time.
8. You may re-enable UAC if you so wish it.
9. If at a later stage you want to remove the effects of the Patch from your Bitdefender 2011 product, simply run again the Patch by BOX in Windows Normal Mode and click the "Uninstall" button. Said manoeuvre will convert the BitDefender 2011 product back to a 30-day trial version.
10. If for any reason you want to uninstall BitDefender, first you must eliminate the effects of the Patch. To that end, run the Patch in Windows Normal Mode and click the "Uninstall" button. When indicated by the Patch, restart the computer in Windows Normal Mode and try to update BitDefender and a window will pop-up advising you that BitDefender has reverted to Trial and now proceed to uninstall BitDefender. If you don't proceed as above, BitDefender will generate a bug report which nevertheless will not affect your PC at all, but most important, BitDefender will not allow you any future reinstallation by telling you that you are no longer able to evaluate the product because you have used up all the evaluation time. To solve said problem, please contact me through this post and I will guide you how to remedy the issue at stake.
NOTE A: If any BitDefender 2011 product is already installed and registered with a valid key or with a key that has expired or that it is shown as invalid and you want to patch it to have it registered again or for a longer period of time, you have to restart your computer in Windows Safe Mode (F8) and then run the Patch using an account with Administrator's rights and click the "Year 2045" button. Once patching has been finished you have to restart your PC in Windows Normal Mode and you are done.
NOTE B: When you have applied the Patch to BD Total Security, the Online Backup feature does not work because you don't have and/or cannot create an account at BitDefender website.