Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ☬Ξητσρζ Ζσ♍βε δτσηε☬
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Something like Hal, within the next 40 years. Cortana is way off. Hal did not operate on emotions and found them to be obsolete, a defect in humans. Remove the emotional substandard and set up a self learning AI and I can see it in the future, definitely not a mere ten years away though.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Azathᴏth View Post
    Asimov's 3 laws of robotics. kkkkkkkkk
    SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD PLAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Misdemeanor View Post
    Yes. Scientists are already close so..
    Quote Originally Posted by Azathᴏth View Post
    No they're not.
    YOUR REPLY IS AWESOME. IT IS ALSO ACCURATE.

YOU ARE AWESOME.

Quote Originally Posted by arunforce View Post
    Well it's definitely not that simple, a "firmware" isn't the only thing holding us back, the brain is a complex object, certain regions harbor certain things, and function differently from mammal to mammal. If it was just all synapses and neurons, we wouldn't be the apex intellectual of the mammals, there are mammals with brains far larger than ours. You can't just inject a stem cell of brain matter into the brain and regrow it with full function back, since you already have the "firmware" (AHAHHHAHAHA FRINGE AHAHAHAHHAA, yah fku ratlen), or just steal someone's else's brain and become twice as smart. Shit just don't work like that, there's consciousness, dreaming, and hundreds of other things that are unexplained about the brain.
    RATTY UMAD? Also pretty much qft, the problem is only matching the complexity and computing power of our brain, but also creating the "emulation" or "wrapper" or "firmware" if you will, which will utilize that computing power in a manner like intelligence does today (i.e. different centres etc.). Given that we cannot emulate something as simple as the ps2 without using up many times its computing power, I doubt we will emulate something as powerful as a self-aware brain within the next 100 years. Depending on your understanding of "intelligence" though, we might be able to emulate/create a lesser intelligence within those 100 years (yes, look at computing power predictions k).

Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    Something like Hal, within the next 40 years. Cortana is way off. Hal did not operate on emotions and found them to be obsolete, a defect in humans. Remove the emotional substandard and set up a self learning AI and I can see it in the future, definitely not a mere ten years away though.
    Meh. Dunno. HAL wasn't really described in depth so it's hard to estimate how much complexity/power it requires. Still doubt the 40 year figure.
    I'm Alen on Steam. RIP Skype Friday nights.

I'm Navi's lover <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:2.5% 97.5%;background-size:4100%" title="hearts"></span></span>

Messenger: Toxin about Dave | Paladin on Skyrim's AI | Dakota on JB | Royku leeching | Sjoerd's penis | Blitz's derpiness | Jason on Blitz
    Dave84311: God I've always wanted to eat crayons, with their vibrant colors. Only if they had taste.
    Mr. Lonely: @Alen I like making you wet, it makes me hard.

☬Ξητσρζ Ζσ♍βε δτσηε☬
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    @Alen true there wasn't much focus on Hal, I mean the only thing we really knew is that his brain was te size of a small house but he had control over every electronic device on board the spacecraft, I really think in 40 years we will have more accurate self leaning AI software, not in the advanced sense but for learning simple calculations and how to improve them with a consistently updated databank.

𝕡𝕠𝕔𝕜𝕖𝕥𝕤 𝕤𝕠 𝕗𝕒𝕥
    Admin
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    I think we could, just because not everything is going to be counted by Moore's law.

Quantum computing, memristors (I think there was an article on how this would lead to A.I. or something), 3d chip, stacking and other things keep pushing bounds, and not just in raw computing power, but functions more like a brain. And don't think that you need one chip, they can stack 100,000 chips together like a super computer and host an A.I. if it's all about power.

v1.96 - Tutorials, Upgraded Town, Def Revamp
    v1.97 - Cutscenes/Quests, Friend List
    v1.98 - Classes, Necklace/Rings
    v1.99 - Guilds
    v2.00 - Open Beta

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    I think we could, just because not everything is going to be counted by Moore's law.

Quantum computing, memristors (I think there was an article on how this would lead to A.I. or something), 3d chip, stacking and other things keep pushing bounds, and not just in raw computing power, but functions more like a brain. And don't think that you need one chip, they can stack 100,000 chips together like a super computer and host an A.I. if it's all about power.
    Well essentially you need that overhead computing power to mimick the brain's low-level functions. If you get that with the actual hardware, problem solved. I'm still doubtful about processing power. And yeah, I'm talking in terms of supercomputers, not single chips. Derp.
    I'm Alen on Steam. RIP Skype Friday nights.

I'm Navi's lover <span class="emoji-outer emoji-sizer"><span class="emoji-inner" style="background: url(chrome-extension://immhpnclomdloikkpcefncmfgjbkojmh/emoji-data/sheet_apple_64.png);background-position:2.5% 97.5%;background-size:4100%" title="hearts"></span></span>

Messenger: Toxin about Dave | Paladin on Skyrim's AI | Dakota on JB | Royku leeching | Sjoerd's penis | Blitz's derpiness | Jason on Blitz
    Dave84311: God I've always wanted to eat crayons, with their vibrant colors. Only if they had taste.
    Mr. Lonely: @Alen I like making you wet, it makes me hard.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    YO

Watch the ducumentation on IBM's jeopardy robot. The built incredible AI, then 'tought' it how to play jeopardy via the interface they programmed. However when they tested it with real competitors, there was a point in the game where you had to name the origin of a particular inventor who had created something, which the programmers were not aware of and thus did not teach the robot how to answer.

The first two times the robot was asked, the robot responded to "What is Newton" etc... because it thought the announcer was asking for the answer in that particular form. However, the robot was also able to listen to the conversation between two individuals and had amazing pattern matching abilities. When it heard how the other competitors where asnwering the question, it tried responding with "What is (the country of origin)"

Very impressive AI module engineered by IBM.

IF we reverse engineering the brain, I think its possible. But we don't need to reverse engineer the brain to create realistic AI, we can do it on a high-level as well.
    Last edited by radnomguywfq3; 07-27-2012 at 06:53 PM.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    I thought about a walking Cleverbot
    Rep. Power: 111

Minion: 11/28/12-3/15/14

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetamay View Post
    YO

Watch the ducumentation on IBM's jeopardy robot. The built incredible AI, then 'tought' it how to play jeopardy via the interface they programmed. However when they tested it with real competitors, there was a point in the game where you had to name the origin of a particular inventor who had created something, which the programmers were not aware of and thus did not teach the robot how to answer.

The first two times the robot was asked, the robot responded to "What is Newton" etc... because it thought the announcer was asking for the answer in that particular form. However, the robot was also able to listen to the conversation between two individuals and had amazing pattern matching abilities. When it heard how the other competitors where asnwering the question, it tried responding with "What is (the country of origin)"

Very impressive AI module engineered by IBM.

IF we reverse engineering the brain, I think its possible. But we don't need to reverse engineer the brain to create realistic AI, we can do it on a high-level as well.
    It had a few bugs, like saying exactly what the other person said.

Ken: What is ....?
    Alex: No.
    Watson: What is ....?
    Alex: That's what Ken said.
    Last edited by Cyborgy; 07-27-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Well it's definitely not that simple, a "firmware" isn't the only thing holding us back, the brain is a complex object, certain regions harbor certain things, and function differently from mammal to mammal. If it was just all synapses and neurons, we wouldn't be the apex intellectual of the mammals, there are mammals with brains far larger than ours. You can't just inject a stem cell of brain matter into the brain and regrow it with full function back, since you already have the "firmware" (AHAHHHAHAHA FRINGE AHAHAHAHHAA, yah fku ratlen), or just steal someone's else's brain and become twice as smart. Shit just don't work like that, there's consciousness, dreaming, and hundreds of other things that are unexplained about the brain.
    Dreaming is perfectly explained and mapped. Its not some weird magic that happens while you sleep.
    I'm not talking about regrowing brains and stuff I'm talking about figuring out exactly how neurons interact with each other on a large scale.
    The only reason I suggested a "Firmware" is because otherwise the brain would be a mush of neurons firing randomly and we would likely not be having thins convo.
    I'm convinced that to make a true A.I. we need to use analog(1v+1v=2v) circuits as opposed to digital(Binary). The brain functions as an analog computer so it might be a possibility that analog circuitry excels in consciousness like digital circuitry excels in math. (We cant do math very well in our brains but a cheap calculator will spit answers in milliseconds).
    .Gragtastic.
    Failed Genius

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gragodine View Post
    Dreaming is perfectly explained and mapped. Its not some weird magic that happens while you sleep.
    I'm not talking about regrowing brains and stuff I'm talking about figuring out exactly how neurons interact with each other on a large scale.
    The only reason I suggested a "Firmware" is because otherwise the brain would be a mush of neurons firing randomly and we would likely not be having thins convo.
    I'm convinced that to make a true A.I. we need to use analog(1v+1v=2v) circuits as opposed to digital(Binary). The brain functions as an analog computer so it might be a possibility that analog circuitry excels in consciousness like digital circuitry excels in math. (We cant do math very well in our brains but a cheap calculator will spit answers in milliseconds).
    Artificial intelligence doesn't have to be modeled after the human brain.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    I really really really don't think you can apply any model of computing to the brain. They're totally different systems.
    Last edited by radnomguywfq3; 07-28-2012 at 01:58 AM.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Japan already created a very sophisticated robot. I would say its already possible

𝕡𝕠𝕔𝕜𝕖𝕥𝕤 𝕤𝕠 𝕗𝕒𝕥
    Admin
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    To say dreaming is perfectly explained is an overstatement, while we do have a good understanding of what happens when we dream, there are many things that we don't know that an MRI scan can't show, and can only pretty much theorize about dreaming. Why it happens, what is the purpose of dreaming, etc. But that isn't the point, there are plenty of other things the brain does that simply can't be explained. It's not an object like a cell phone loaded with transistors and firmware, it's the most complex organ for a reason. My point being is not even about the firmware, it's that just because you make a duplicate brain, (I talked about this in another thread) that there will be another self conscious being that can think on their own that will arise from it, firmware or not.

I agree with Jetamay about comparing a brain to a computer. I don't see how an analog computer could possibly excel as some living being, digital computers use electricity too, to power every single change, computation, and status maintaining. In fact, the first calculators were analog, and I'm not talking about the non-electronic ones. They even showed us how to make one in my EE class, though they had to be hard wired and took advantage of the natural mathematical state of physics. Even then there are math savants that are really good at numbers, and can recite PI out too freakishly far, and multiply huge numbers together perfectly because they see numbers in terms of textures, shapes, colors, etc. That's not exactly a binary system.

I think the whole "argument" is that people like me and Jetamay see consciousness as the pinnical of life, and not something that can be created that easily (the old age approach or w/e), if at all. While you take the other approach that it's just another thing that comes when you make a brain, or w/e. If I had to guess, I'd say you are probably right, and maybe it is just a simple thing that happens when neurons start firing harmoniously. While I'm not religious at all, I just can't take that leap of faith, because all in all, self consciousness baffles me. But if we ever can create life like that, chalk one up to science, maybe in 2000 years, they will reconstruct my brain and it will bring ME back from the dead, sure would be fun if we're all not dead or living in some forsaken hell hole. Though I wouldn't have all my memories, unless they reused my old brain or somehow transferred it back.

v1.96 - Tutorials, Upgraded Town, Def Revamp
    v1.97 - Cutscenes/Quests, Friend List
    v1.98 - Classes, Necklace/Rings
    v1.99 - Guilds
    v2.00 - Open Beta

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bashful

To say dreaming is perfectly explained is an overstatement, while we do have a good understanding of what happens when we dream, there are many things that we don't know that an MRI scan can't show, and can only pretty much theorize about dreaming. Why it happens, what is the purpose of dreaming, etc. But that isn't the point, there are plenty of other things the brain does that simply can't be explained. It's not an object like a cell phone loaded with transistors and firmware, it's the most complex organ for a reason. My point being is not even about the firmware, it's that just because you make a duplicate brain, (I talked about this in another thread) that there will be another self conscious being that can think on their own that will arise from it, firmware or not.

I agree with Jetamay about comparing a brain to a computer. I don't see how an analog computer could possibly excel as some living being, digital computers use electricity too, to power every single change, computation, and status maintaining. In fact, the first calculators were analog, and I'm not talking about the non-electronic ones. They even showed us how to make one in my EE class, though they had to be hard wired and took advantage of the natural mathematical state of physics. Even then there are math savants that are really good at numbers, and can recite PI out too freakishly far, and multiply huge numbers together perfectly because they see numbers in terms of textures, shapes, colors, etc. That's not exactly a binary system.

I think the whole "argument" is that people like me and Jetamay see consciousness as the pinnical of life, and not something that can be created that easily (the old age approach or w/e), if at all. While you take the other approach that it's just another thing that comes when you make a brain, or w/e. If I had to guess, I'd say you are probably right, and maybe it is just a simple thing that happens when neurons start firing harmoniously. While I'm not religious at all, I just can't take that leap of faith, because all in all, self consciousness baffles me. But if we ever can create life like that, chalk one up to science, maybe in 2000 years, they will reconstruct my brain and it will bring ME back from the dead, sure would be fun if we're all not dead or living in some forsaken hell hole. Though I wouldn't have all my memories, unless they reused my old brain or somehow transferred it back.
    Didn't read.

Okay i read

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed

TL;DR? I'm kinda lazy right now..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast