Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad

Stand-Your-Ground law in the US.

Alright, so I came across a US Florida poster on liveleak yesterday who says:

"Florida law states that there is no legal expectation for an individual to flee from confrontation, the owner may legally stand his ground and fight. All crimes committed during the event will be charged against the criminals who attempted the robbery. It is completely legal to shoot and kill a fleeing felon in the State of Florida and most other US States.. The owner has the legal right to eliminate the threat these men pose to himself and others. There can be no greater deterrent to threatening someones life than the fear of losing your own, when the those who follow the law can legally kill it leaves criminals with no safety net."

I can't find a liable source for this information, so do you Americans know whether or not this is true?

And if it is, isn't that kinda fucked up? I mean, that's just plain murder. You're defending your property, not acting as judge, jury and executioner. Killing a fleeing felon is cold blooded murder; they have a right to be dragged through the justice system and tried before a jury\judge, and even there after, whether or not capitol punishment should be allowed is highly controversial.

Also, if a fleeing felon feels their life is at risk, then they probably aren't going to stop fighting: I.e it defeats the purpose of stand-your-ground and turns it in to a gun fight at best and murder otherwise.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

☬Ξητσρζ Ζσ♍βε δτσηε☬
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    I can not find a reference either but I have seen the same poster. IMO I think it's bullshit, I've seen stories of shop keepers killing fleeing robbers and the shop owner is almost always charged. The reason I LIKE that idea, is that if someone performs an armed robbery, it's probable they may use excessive force on yet another innocent civilian. Eliminating the wrong-doer would eliminate the chance of this happening, possibly saving ones life. If someone is going as far as armed robbery, police and government law enforces usually consider them armed and "dangerous" for that reason, but they aren't dangerous if they're dead.

It also allows said shop keeper to kill the thief before their own life is possibly ended, they have that right to defend themselves. I don't see it as cold blooded murder, as they are potentially saving other civilians lives.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    its America. And this seems to be sum kind of act of self defense. Im guessing this is true.

☬Ξητσρζ Ζσ♍βε δτσηε☬
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Apparently it's true. That's how Trayvon Martin ended up getting killed in Florida, there a few cases on it I've found.

Stand your ground law, Trayvon Martin and a shocking legacy | Tampa Bay Times

Though I dunno how reputable that site is.

𝕡𝕠𝕔𝕜𝕖𝕥𝕤 𝕤𝕠 𝕗𝕒𝕥
    Admin
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    I'm pretty sure the Stand Your Ground law, well at least in Texas and other states, requires the person to be on your property if they are killed. You can't shoot them off your property (don't quote me on this).

I think it's a valid law, someone breaking and entering your house, and putting you and your family in danger should be able to be killed. It's a valid deterrent to would be criminals knowing they can meet some friendly lead while they pillage through your things.

v1.96 - Tutorials, Upgraded Town, Def Revamp
    v1.97 - Cutscenes/Quests, Friend List
    v1.98 - Classes, Necklace/Rings
    v1.99 - Guilds
    v2.00 - Open Beta

Thanks
    Its not fucked up, if you rob someone then fuck it you don't deserve to live.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by InCognito View Post
    Its not fucked up, if you rob someone then fuck it you don't deserve to live.

what if someone made u do it at gun point?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ℒεℬss View Post
    what if someone made u do it at gun point?
    run bitch run

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
    I can not find a reference either but I have seen the same poster. IMO I think it's bullshit, I've seen stories of shop keepers killing fleeing robbers and the shop owner is almost always charged. The reason I LIKE that idea, is that if someone performs an armed robbery, it's probable they may use excessive force on yet another innocent civilian. Eliminating the wrong-doer would eliminate the chance of this happening, possibly saving ones life. If someone is going as far as armed robbery, police and government law enforces usually consider them armed and "dangerous" for that reason, but they aren't dangerous if they're dead.

It also allows said shop keeper to kill the thief before their own life is possibly ended, they have that right to defend themselves. I don't see it as cold blooded murder, as they are potentially saving other civilians lives.
    True, but I don't agree with punishing someone for a crime they might do. I also don't agree in capitol punishment.

A lot of people who try and rob from stores have no intention of getting involved in a gun-fight; and usually they flee if it comes down to it. I.e, they are not looking to kill someone.

I'd rather have someone rob me for all I have then have to take their life.
    Last edited by radnomguywfq3; 07-29-2012 at 04:59 PM.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angry
    Yes, I'm from Florida.

If you think your life is in endanger you can shoot and kill the problem/person.

1.The problem is once you kill the person, in most cases you kill the evidence. The person dead can;t defend themselves so you can only take the one who shot word for it. That leads to obvious problems because well...people will fucking lie lol

2.It's easy to say your life was in danger because everyone is different. A large athlete or x military may not be as scared/timid compared to an elderly lady.

3. In the famous Treyvon Martin case, Treyvon essentially was being stalked by a rent a cop, he was being followed for so long, he grew scared and when your scared you either choose fight or flight. Treyvon chose to fight(probabbly a ways home so where to run to lol?), started fighting Zimmerson(rent a cop). Zimmerson got tired of getting his ass beat so he pulled his gone and shot Treyvon. Simmerson is claiming self defense (stand your ground). I'm not saying Zimmerson is right or wrong, but that the law needs to change. It's to easy to claim self defense IMO.

Thanks
    There's no reason why you should shoot to kill, but I'm sure everyone is going to start saying "Well you're in a life threatening situation so it's okay because you don't have much time to react." But really if you have a firearm with you you should be know it enough to know where the bullet is going to land. There is no reason why you need to shoot the head where you can go for the shoulders.

The stand your ground law should only be allowed on your property when your life is in danger even then it shouldn't cover acts of murder because that's going overboard.

"Christian Bible, the Gospel of Mark, chapter five, verse nine. We acknowledge this as an appropriate metaphor. We are Legion, a terminal of the Geth. We will integrate into Normandy."
    -Legion

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Quote Originally Posted by InCognito View Post
    (null)

lol. You better run better run faster than my
    bullet.

Thanks
    Liberal hippies, liberal hippies everywhere.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    That law is stupid really. You can get away with murder which is the most serious thing taken in the U.S

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    is it true u can get off easier if u kill a man with a gun than beat him till hes ALMOST dead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast