Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    This shit happens all the time. America has thousands of gun deaths a year, there are bound to be a few larger shootings.The media is just paying special attention recently.
    I would've thought it'd be because it left six people dead in a shoot out at a church :S . Idk though, I don't know the culture of American media very well, its probably a bit different than that of Canada so you might be correct.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetamay View Post
    I would've thought it'd be because it left six people dead in a shoot out at a church :S . Idk though, I don't know the culture of American media very well, its probably a bit different than that of Canada so you might be correct.
    You know it's a problem when the Americans don't think that the shooting is a big deal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian View Post

You know it's a problem when the Americans don't think that the shooting is a big deal.
    There are bigger things at hand than six deaths from a gun, you just fall for the media's interpolation.

"Christian Bible, the Gospel of Mark, chapter five, verse nine. We acknowledge this as an appropriate metaphor. We are Legion, a terminal of the Geth. We will integrate into Normandy."
    -Legion

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander X View Post
    There are bigger things at hand than six deaths from a gun, you just fall for the media's interpolation.
    So much so that it can be considered irrelevant? Then you're in trouble.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Six deaths from a gun?
    "Approximately 12,252 murders by firearms 80% of which are caused by felons/career criminals/gang member activities. USDOJ National Gang Threat Assessment annual report 2009
    Approximately 600 justifiable defensive shootings by both police and citizens.
    The remainder in accidental firearms discharges"

Murders with firearms statistics - countries compared - NationMaster Crime

Your deaths by firearm related incidents are literally 1000x Canada's.
    why do you need to defend every aspect of your country when clearly you have no defense.

Thanks
    Something that is 5+ will usually get attention, but not as much as this. And they ignored the story were a teen kill 7 people with a knife. It's all so they can run the usual "omfg we nedz gun cntrl!!!" pieces.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I wonder when the liberal media is going to get it through its thick dumb fucking skull that gun control is not the issue here. Banning guns is not only unconstitutional and unrealistic, but it will not in any shape or form help solve America's gun violence issue. If anything, it will most likely promote it since you are now leaving law abiding citizens without a means to defend themselves and criminals armed to the teeth because the law is the least of their concerns. These acts of violence are the products of a decaying society. And I think it's too late to address the root of the problem. In my opinion America is fucked, and has been fucked. Gun restrictions aren't going to help.

Thanks
    So much so that it can be considered irrelevant? Then you're in trouble.
    It's not completely irrelevant but there are other things that are more dire.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

Six deaths from a gun?
    "Approximately 12,252 murders by firearms 80% of which are caused by felons/career criminals/gang member activities. USDOJ National Gang Threat Assessment annual report 2009
    Approximately 600 justifiable defensive shootings by both police and citizens.
    The remainder in accidental firearms discharges"

Murders with firearms statistics - countries compared - NationMaster Crime

Your deaths by firearm related incidents are literally 1000x Canada's.
    why do you need to defend every aspect of your country when clearly you have no defense.
    Get it through your thick skull that nothing about this topic invited Canadian nationalism.[COLOR="Silver"]
    Last edited by Commander X; 08-05-2012 at 11:02 PM.

"Christian Bible, the Gospel of Mark, chapter five, verse nine. We acknowledge this as an appropriate metaphor. We are Legion, a terminal of the Geth. We will integrate into Normandy."
    -Legion

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    [COLOR="Black"]
    It's not completely irrelevant but there are other things that are more dire.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

Get it through your thick skull that nothing about this topic invited Canadian nationalism.

It's nothing about Canadian nationalism, I was just giving an example I could have said any country.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post

Something that is 5+ will usually get attention, but not as much as this. And they ignored the story were a teen kill 7 people with a knife. It's all so they can run the usual "omfg we nedz gun cntrl!!!" pieces.
    It is very likely that the media is playing this up due to the Colorado shooting.

Guns are not required by citizens to keep them\community safe. UK Police officers are usually not equip with guns in typical situations, and there is also lower a crime rate there than in Canada. However the UK has proved itself very tough on crime (look at the UK riots that occured I think early this year or last year.) They were much more aggressive than the Canadian police in regards to pushing criminals through their courts. Obviously, citizens don't have guns there either.

Japan has an incredibly dense population and yet their crime is lower than the UK. (they have gun control much stricter than that of Canada) However, it is arguable on whether this low crime rate is due to gun control, or "People control."
    Last edited by radnomguywfq3; 08-06-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    It is very likely that the media is playing this up due to the Colorado shooting.

Guns are not required by citizens to keep them\community safe. UK Police officers are usually not equip with guns in typical situations, and there is also lower a crime rate there than in Canada. However the UK has proved itself very tough on crime (look at the UK riots that occured I think early this year or last year.) They were much more aggressive than the Canadian police in regards to pushing criminals through their courts. Obviously, citizens don't have guns there either.

Japan has an incredibly dense population and yet their crime is lower than the UK. (they have gun control much stricter than that of Canada) However, it is arguable on whether this low crime rate is due to gun control, or "People control."
    That's because japan doesn't have a stagnating society.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Azathᴏth View Post

That's because japan doesn't have a stagnating society.
    I can neither agree nor disagree, I haven't read enough in to the subject to develop a perspective on that :S

But I agree the murders have a lot more to do with than just gun control.
    Last edited by radnomguywfq3; 08-06-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    It's not a problem with the guns. Guns don't take human lives. People do. It's a problem with your society.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I can neither agree nor disagree, I haven't read enough in to the subject to develop a perspective on that :S
    To be honest, I'm making this observation based on a cursory glance, but one I believe to be pretty accurate.

Japan has the 3rd largest economy in the world, after America and China, in that order. They are arguably the most technologically advanced society on earth. And I don't see their growth slowing down anytime soon.

America is just the opposite. We may still hold the title of world's #1 biggest economy, but our economic situation is a dire one. Corporate and government corruption is rampant and evident, with tensions between the government and civilians on the rise. And our cultural value just keeps on dropping.

Thanks

It's nothing about Canadian nationalism, I was just giving an example I could have said any country.
    All I see is a Canadian nationalist.

-Legion

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast