Thread: Gaming laptop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Denelf View Post
    HP is made to get stuck, buy a toshiba or acer they are pretty good
    The first Toshiba laptop I had crashed and apparently motherboard died completley after I installed an update from their website for my model laptop.
    ~
    "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." John 15:18

"True strength isn't determined by when a man has a lot and gives enough, but when he has nothing left but keeps on giving."
    "A man is determined by the strength of his will."
    "Courage has nothing to do with ascertaining any sense of certainty, but the will to go on even
    in the face of uncertainty." - Arhk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arhk View Post

I do heavy stuff, like running VMs probably will run multiple VMs for multiple things, I can think of say servers etc. in-fact if the laptop I get is ridiculously powerful enough I'll run multiple VMs and host private servers for games on it (like I usually do when I have a decent computer), and play games like Crysis 2 at the same time.
    ~
    Might as well build yourself a workstation if you're going to VM things.

@Swiftdude

dat 5400 RPM.

l0l

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronyx View Post

Might as well build yourself a workstation if you're going to VM things.

@Swiftdude

dat 5400 RPM.

l0l
    Eh, money isn't an object for me so I'm fine with getting the more expensive laptop equivalent.
    ~

"True strength isn't determined by when a man has a lot and gives enough, but when he has nothing left but keeps on giving."
    "Courage has nothing to do with ascertaining any sense of certainty, but the will to go on even

Thanks

Eh, money isn't an object for me so I'm fine with getting the more expensive laptop equivalent.
    ~
    Thing is, the things you want to do on the laptop, well, to put it simply, just aren't suited for the laptop.

You'd have to get a ridiculously fat laptop to cram in all the stuff you want in order for it to perform at the top level which you desire.

This defeats the mobile purpose of a laptop entirely, so you might as well get a desktop/workstation to do something like this.

And my reply wasn't in regards to the monetary issues, it's just that you'd be better off building a workstation with the things you want to do.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Thing is, the things you want to do on the laptop, well, to put it simply, just aren't suited for the laptop.

You'd have to get a ridiculously fat laptop to cram in all the stuff you want in order for it to perform at the top level which you desire.

This defeats the mobile purpose of a laptop entirely, so you might as well get a desktop/workstation to do something like this.

And my reply wasn't in regards to the monetary issues, it's just that you'd be better off building a workstation with the things you want to do.
    Bottom-line of me getting a laptop is that I need my PC to be something I can carry around right now.
    ~
    And I'm going to be waiting a bit and just get a Windows 8 tablet in the mean time until soon upcoming things like nVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX & DDR 4 hit the market. Another part of my new decision to go over-board is because I need a laptop,and a laptop isn't something that can be upgraded really, so I'm trying to future proof it.
    Last edited by Arhk; 10-29-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks

Bottom-line of me getting a laptop is that I need my PC to be something I can carry around right now.
    ~
    And I'm going to be waiting a bit and just get a Windows 8 tablet in the mean time until soon upcoming things like nVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX & DDR 4 hit the market. Another part of my new decision to go over-board is because I need a laptop,and a laptop isn't something that can be upgraded really, so I'm trying to future proof it.
    MSI GT70 .

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

MSI GT70 .
    Wouldn't consider it future-proof.
    ~

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Wouldn't consider it future-proof.
    ~
    There's no such thing as future proof. You either spend big now and spend nothing later or you spend half now and spend half later. Spending big now will only put you on the back-foot as soon as better and more efficient technologies hit the market especially when you're talking about a laptop which is extremely limited in terms of upgradeability and maintenance is concerned.

Also what kind of portability are we talking about here? The kind of thing you want to move from home to work, or something you want to use on a train? Or just something you want to be able to move around you room.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

aeronyx (11-03-2012)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

There's no such thing as future proof. You either spend big now and spend nothing later or you spend half now and spend half later. Spending big now will only put you on the back-foot as soon as better and more efficient technologies hit the market especially when you're talking about a laptop which is extremely limited in terms of upgradeability and maintenance is concerned.

Also what kind of portability are we talking about here? The kind of thing you want to move from home to work, or something you want to use on a train? Or just something you want to be able to move around you room.
    Anywhere, anything, I just have a habit of getting the nicest things when I get things, so I was trying to resist that urge initially, researched on the net a bit found out Intel is projecting to make it's first DDR4 compatible release in 2014, so I'll just get something standard, it's one thing to buy something and then unknowingly it becomes a whole generation deprecated in a couple months but it's a completely different thing to do it knowingly (although the span is a couple years).
    ~
    And in graphics cards at-least there is a bit of future proofing practically all of the models below GTX 680M are rebadged OEMs of last generation GTX 5**M's

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    I work with computers so here is what my experience and knowledge . As a start the phrase "Gaming laptop" doesn't exist. First think if you actually going to move this machine a lot , since if you aren't just buy a desktop. Second the brands you should look at are HP and Dell if you want to have something that would stay for a long time without braking. Acer and ASUS have a thing for braking down their videos and the south bridge (witch to my knowing is unfixable) . MSI and Lenovo don`t have a strong built machine so it`s not wise to purchase any of them.
    Now for the machine at hand, a processor i7 won`t be needed , i5 is just as good with less consumption and the performance in gaming won`t be seen since anything above i3 is just benchmarking mania. Don't look at laptops witch are Ultrabooks or super heavy ones (like a Qosmio , I will give you some models to look at). Next is the GPU , now don`t go full house with it , a laptop isn't and I do mean isn't made to play games on super heavy performance (maybe the Alienware ,but with 7kg of weight and 17 to 19 inch display ,you could brake the walls in your house by throwing it) , GPUs in laptops aren't even close to what a desktop can have so don't try and compare them . Search for NVidia and intel based machines since AMD and Ati don`t do well in the gaming part on laptops. Think long term not short , let it be a strong PC . If money isn't a problem look at the HP Elite Books , Dell Latitude series , there you will see machines that brake down only if thrown out of the 5th floor . Here are some machines you can consider :
    8770w Mobile Workstation Laptop With Dedicated Video Memory | HP This is the most powerfull of all HP laptops ,but it is a Workstation one , for gaming is too much.
    This in my opinion is one of the best ways to go New! XPS 15 laptop details | Dell
    Now there are others ,but consider looking in HP or Dell , just because I work with both brands and they have never disappointed me in any way ,especially Dell.
    Good luck mate, if you need more help just PM me.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace666 View Post
    I work with computers so here is what my experience and knowledge . As a start the phrase "Gaming laptop" doesn't exist. First think if you actually going to move this machine a lot , since if you aren't just buy a desktop. Second the brands you should look at are HP and Dell if you want to have something that would stay for a long time without braking. Acer and ASUS have a thing for braking down their videos and the south bridge (witch to my knowing is unfixable) . MSI and Lenovo don`t have a strong built machine so it`s not wise to purchase any of them.
    Now for the machine at hand, a processor i7 won`t be needed , i5 is just as good with less consumption and the performance in gaming won`t be seen since anything above i3 is just benchmarking mania. Don't look at laptops witch are Ultrabooks or super heavy ones (like a Qosmio , I will give you some models to look at). Next is the GPU , now don`t go full house with it , a laptop isn't and I do mean isn't made to play games on super heavy performance (maybe the Alienware ,but with 7kg of weight and 17 to 19 inch display ,you could brake the walls in your house by throwing it) , GPUs in laptops aren't even close to what a desktop can have so don't try and compare them . Search for NVidia and intel based machines since AMD and Ati don`t do well in the gaming part on laptops. Think long term not short , let it be a strong PC . If money isn't a problem look at the HP Elite Books , Dell Latitude series , there you will see machines that brake down only if thrown out of the 5th floor . Here are some machines you can consider :
    8770w Mobile Workstation Laptop With Dedicated Video Memory | HP This is the most powerfull of all HP laptops ,but it is a Workstation one , for gaming is too much.
    This in my opinion is one of the best ways to go New! XPS 15 laptop details | Dell
    Now there are others ,but consider looking in HP or Dell , just because I work with both brands and they have never disappointed me in any way ,especially Dell.
    i5 processor, newer games are optimized for quad cores, so an entry level i7 would be a minimum at the least. At this point getting a non-quad core laptop when games are being optimized for quad cores would make your computer useless for modern gaming beyond minimum settings in a few months. Both msi & ASUS are very large and reputable manufacturers of electronics, if a problem arose due to manufacturing, I'm more than certain they'd even send you a replacement after you sent it off and they had a look at it. Lenovo has a history of building physically strong laptops, they even use it in the advertising schemes

Best Graphics Cards October - 2012

If you look at the scores the GeForce GTX 680m surpasses
    The desktop GeForce GTX 570 is around $300+ for a 2GB version which is the minimum memory a GeForce GTX 680m will come with as stock

there is also a new 680mx out that is speculated to be a 25% performance increase over the 680m.

and also the XPS laptop you've linked is severely overpriced, by a margin of $400+ dollars (I've been looking at laptops online for about one or two months now, I know).
    ~

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Look , I am a gamer as well , I have had 3 configurations only this year and year past I had 5 ... I know what I am telling you ... My smaller PC is a i5-760 8 GB RAM , GTX570 Sonic Platinum PALIT , 240 GB SSD ,1 TB HDD , Shuttle SH55j2 and plays every and I mean every game on MAX with max antialising ,anistropic levels ,Vsync and so on. I have a Specter HP and play Crysis 2 on Very high with an i5 .... ASUS and Lenovo break down in less than 6 months and this is in my country where most electronics are with high quality .. Those bought in America ( I apologies if I offend someone) break down even easier. Lenovo has only one or 2 models that are able to withstand more time but they are in the business class. Now about that quad core created games ... I personally have made about 60 machines with p9400-9700 intel processors witch are dual core and work with Photoshop and 2 games at once and don't glitch even a bit. I see you want a powerhouse in a small package, well that isn't really possible , every laptop with a big performance is either 17 or 19 inch ,because most manufacturers know that user would need a big desktop. And as I said in my past post , the phrase "Gaming laptop" is covered only by Alienware and they are as big as a normal PC.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Look , I am a gamer as well , I have had 3 configurations only this year and year past I had 5 ... I know what I am telling you ... My smaller PC is a i5-760 8 GB RAM , GTX570 Sonic Platinum PALIT , 240 GB SSD ,1 TB HDD , Shuttle SH55j2 and plays every and I mean every game on MAX with max antialising ,anistropic levels ,Vsync and so on. I have a Specter HP and play Crysis 2 on Very high with an i5 .... ASUS and Lenovo break down in less than 6 months and this is in my country where most electronics are with high quality .. Those bought in America ( I apologies if I offend someone) break down even easier. Lenovo has only one or 2 models that are able to withstand more time but they are in the business class. Now about that quad core created games ... I personally have made about 60 machines with p9400-9700 intel processors witch are dual core and work with Photoshop and 2 games at once and don't glitch even a bit. I see you want a powerhouse in a small package, well that isn't really possible , every laptop with a big performance is either 17 or 19 inch ,because most manufacturers know that user would need a big desktop. And as I said in my past post , the phrase "Gaming laptop" is covered only by Alienware and they are as big as a normal PC.
    MSI GT60 0NE-220US 15.6" and has 680m graphics

~
    Last edited by Arhk; 10-30-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Razer Blade - The World's First True Gaming Laptop - Best Gaming PC You want something unique , see this , for now I haven't heard bad things about it. Also look at the HP Specters or Envy , but for a good one it has to be 17 inch

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Anywhere, anything, I just have a habit of getting the nicest things when I get things, so I was trying to resist that urge initially, researched on the net a bit found out Intel is projecting to make it's first DDR4 compatible release in 2014, so I'll just get something standard, it's one thing to buy something and then unknowingly it becomes a whole generation deprecated in a couple months but it's a completely different thing to do it knowingly (although the span is a couple years).
    ~
    And in graphics cards at-least there is a bit of future proofing practically all of the models below GTX 680M are rebadged OEMs of last generation GTX 5**M's
    Well that's fair enough I guess. But I don't think you're going to require such a full on GFX card. I mean the 600M series rebadged 500's in the sense that a 650M is more or less a rebadged 560M. I'd say go for 670M. If you really wan't portability then you don't want the 680, it'll fucking eat the battery in less than an hour. I think the 650 is a good equilibrium (I can play BF3 on medium [64 players] to high [32 players] at 1600x900), but if you want a bit more processing power from the GPU then go for a 660M or perhaps a 670M. But I do think the point of diminishing returns starts a lower level on laptops. If you're serious about Virtual Machines (not just fucking around in them everyonce in a while) than you're better off sacrificing the GPU for a more powerful CPU and an SSD.

Don't listen to this guy. He's speaking out of his ass. The 8770 is a fucking shite laptop. HP makes shitty quality laptops. It's a fact. I work in a studio where we are sending in an 8570 or a 8770 in for repairs every second week due to faulty motherboards, faulty regulators, faulty capacitors, fauty screens, faulty fucking everything. If it weren't for our workstation and farm deal with HP we'd be sourcing our own laptops. If you're investing in a desktop workstations they're the best, but in terms of mobile computing fucking stay away from them. Dell has an ok reputation but in all seriousness it's on par with Asus. Lenovo don't manufacture strongly built machines? What a fucking moron. Lenovo have a reputation for manufacturing the most reliable laptops in the world. We have 6 and 7 year old production Lenovo's that are fucking motoring even after being treated like shit (dropping them down concrete stairs, spilling drinks on them, smashing the keyboard). Fuck ThinkPad's are the only certified laptop for the motherfucking International Space Station.

This guys is completely talking bullshit with his pseudoexperience.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast