Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Cool Some more motherfuckin' Science (Compensation for general's retardation)

Someone has to compensate for all these fucking retarded threads I've been seeing... So I'll try and make you all a little smarter

Here's some more interesting shit.

Element 115

Thanks to the work of chemists at Lund University in Sweden, a brand new element has taken a seat at the periodic table: Element 115, or ununpentium (Uup) as it is currently known. Ununpentium (which is sadly just the Latin/Greek for “115,” not a homage to the Intel CPU) is one of the heaviest elements ever created, extremely rare (it probably only occurs in nature a few milliseconds after a star goes supernova), and realistically won’t impact your life at all. Still, it’s a good chance to discuss how chemists create super-heavy elements — and more importantly, why.

The heaviest (i.e. highest atomic number) readily occurring element in nature is uranium, with 92 protons. Every element above it, including plutonium, americium, and einsteinium, can only be created through processes such as fusion, or being bombarded with neutrons. Fairly large quantities of americium, for example, are produced when uranium and plutonium are bombarded by neutrons in a nuclear reactor. In the lab, most super-heavy elements are created by fusing lighter elements in a particle accelerator. Ununpentium, for example, was created by firing calcium-48 ions (a nucleus with 20 protons and 28 neutrons) at an americium target (with 95 protons and 148 neutrons), creating a fused nucleus of ununpentium-291 with 115 protons and 176 neutrons.

SCIENTISTS GROW MINIATURE, BUT DISTINCTLY HUMAN, BRAIN IN THE LAB

Austrian researchers have used regenerative techniques to grow a miniature human brain in the lab, they reported recently in the journal Nature.

The researchers started with pluripotent human stem cells, or stem cells that are capable of developing into various kinds of specialized cell. After letting them develop, they removed proto-neural cells and placed them on a scaffold. Using a bioreactor to improve cellular growing conditions, they obtained a brain-like organ that exhibited differentiated brain regions.

retinaThe mini-brains developed into distinct regions, including a cerebral cortex, retina (pictured), meninges and choroid plexus. But they stopped growing after two months. The Austrian researchers, led by Jurgen Knoblich of the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, said that in the absence of a circulation system, the core of the mini-brains probably didn’t receive adequate nutrients or oxygen to continue growing.

Earth life 'may have come from Mars'

https://www****c.co.uk/news/science-environment-23872765

Life may have started on Mars before arriving on Earth, a major scientific conference has heard.

New research supports an idea that the Red Planet was a better place to kick-start biology billions of years ago than the early Earth was.

The evidence is based on how the first molecules necessary for life were assembled.
    Scientists have long wondered how atoms first came together to make up the three crucial molecular components of living organisms: RNA, DNA and proteins.

The molecules that combined to form genetic material are far more complex than the primordial "pre-biotic" soup of organic (carbon-based) chemicals thought to have existed on the Earth more than three billion years ago, and RNA (ribonucleic acid) is thought to have been the first of them to appear.

Japanese Scientists Perfect Freeze-Dried Sperm, Hoping To 'Zip' Earth's Biodiversity Into Space

Scientists are collecting the sperm of rare animals to preserve a possible future for Earth’s biodiversity on other planets colonized by man and his machines — along with a supporting cast including chimpanzees, giraffes, and other animal species.

Takehito Kaneko, an associate professor at Kyoto University in Japan, has perfected a method of freeze-drying sperm after 10 years of work, incorporating a buffer solution into the process that protects the genetic information in the sperm from decay. In experiments, Kaneko and his colleagues reawakened frozen sperm by simply thawing it in water. “This method preserves the sperm samples very well and technically we believe it is possible to store them for decades or even longer into the future,” Kaneko told The Daily Telegraph. “After they have been preserved, we want to continually examine the condition of the genetic information.”

Japanese Scientists Perfect Freeze-Dried Sperm, Hoping To 'Zip' Earth's Biodiversity Into Space

Single gene change increases mouse lifespan by 20 percent

NIH intramural study also shows that individual organs are affected differently
    By lowering the expression of a single gene, researchers at the National Institutes of Health have extended the average lifespan of a group of mice by about 20 percent -- the equivalent of raising the average human lifespan by 16 years, from 79 to 95. The research team targeted a gene called mTOR, which is involved in metabolism and energy balance, and may be connected with the increased lifespan associated with caloric restriction.

A detailed study of these mice revealed that gene-influenced lifespan extension did not affect every tissue and organ the same way. For example, the mice retained better memory and balance as they aged, but their bones deteriorated more quickly than normal.

This study appears in the Aug. 29 edition of Cell Reports.

Alcohol breaks brain connections needed to process social cues

Alcohol intoxication reduces communication between two areas of the brain that work together to properly interpret and respond to social signals, according to researchers at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine.
    Their results were published in the September issue of Psychopharmacology.

Previous research has shown that alcohol suppresses activity in the amygdala, the area of the brain responsible for perceiving social cues such as facial expressions.

“Because emotional processing involves both the amygdala and areas of the brain located in the prefrontal cortex responsible for cognition and modulation of behavior, we wanted to see if there were any alterations in the functional connectivity or communication between these two brain regions that might underlie alcohol’s effects,” said K. Luan Phan, UIC professor of psychiatry.

Painkiller addictions worst drug epidemic in US history

Prescriptions for painkillers in the United States have nearly tripled in the past two decades and fatal overdoses reached epidemic levels, exceeding those from heroin and cocaine combined, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

At the same time, the first-ever global analysis of illicit drug abuse, published this month in the British medical journal The Lancet, found that addictions to heroin and popular painkillers, including Vicodin and OxyContin, kill the most people and cause the greatest health burden, compared with illicit drugs such as marijuana and cocaine.

High-income nations, such as the United States, the United Kingdom and Australia, had the highest rates of abuse, 20 times greater than in the least affected countries, according to the Lancet study.

Saudi Arabia's cabinet has passed a ban on domestic violence and other forms of abuse against women for the first time in the Kingdom's history. The cabinet approved a ban on physical or sexual violence earlier this week, which applies both at home or within the work place.

Hemp car made by FORD: 'Bio-degradable auto parts' green car dream of celebrity manufacturing giant in 1940's

Henry Ford was a pioneer, that indisputable statement is certain. Did you know that when he was experimenting with the use of space age materials to help create his automobiles, he experimented with the use of Marijuana? In production of his plastic car models, that is... read on to get the full story about the daring design concept that could have made the Ford Motor Corporation the 21st century front runner of sustainable, eco-friendly industry had they not had their plans thwarted by the United States government.

Untreatable 'superbug' infections flourish due to excessive prescription - The loss of effective antibiotics to antimicrobial resistance within two generations of their discovery is one of the great tragedies of human history.

more information can be found here: https://bit****/1dOvNLi

LSD is good for you, say Norway researchers

"There were no significant associations between lifetime use of any psychedelics, or use of LSD in the past year, and increased rate of any of the mental health outcomes," Pĺl-Řrjan Johansen and Teri Krebs from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim concluded in their study published in the PLOS One journal on Tuesday.

"Rather, in several cases psychedelic use was associated with a lower rate of mental health problems."

For the study, the researchers analyzed data on the more than 130,000 Americans who took drug use ******s between 2001 and 2004, of which 22,000 had used a psychedelic drug at least once.

(My Thoughts: LSD isn't illegal because the government is concerned for your health- that should be clear to us all.

Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve socially programmed patterns of thought and behavior and help you to realize that everything you know is wrong.)

Just Thinking about Science Triggers Moral Behavior

Public opinion towards science has made headlines over the past several years for a variety of reasons — mostly negative. High profile cases of academic dishonesty and disputes over funding have left many questioning the integrity and societal value of basic science, while accusations of politically motivated research fly from left and right. There is little doubt that science is value-laden. Allegiances to theories and ideologies can skew the kinds of hypotheses tested and the methods used to test them. These, however, are errors in the application of the method, not the method itself. In other words, it’s possible that public opinion towards science more generally might be relatively unaffected by the misdeeds and biases of individual scientists. In fact, given the undeniable benefits scientific progress yielded, associations with the process of scientific inquiry may be quite positive.

Astrophile: The iron planet with a 4-hour year

Object: KOI 1843.03
    Year: 4.25 hours

When Joe lived back on Earth, it felt like the years were flying by. Then he went to work in the mines on the iron planet, and discovered how wrong he'd been. One side of the small world enjoyed perpetual night, and in his heat-resistant spacesuit it was just cool enough to stand and drill into the ground. There was neither sunrise nor sunset to mark the passage of time, yet he knew the iron planet whirled around its star so fast that every time he lay down for his 8 Earth-hours of shut-eye, he woke up two years later.

If Joe the space miner existed, that would be his life on KOI 1843.03, a potential planet found by NASA's Kepler space telescope. This odd world appears to have the shortest known year, completing an orbit around its star in just 4 hours, 15 minutes.

Becaue it is so close to the star, one side of the planet most likely always faces the star and feels more of its gravitational pull, creating tidal forces that squish and stretch the tiny body. And to withstand the star's gravitational wrath, the planet must be made almost entirely of iron.

Archaeologists Realise 5000-Year-Old Egyptian Beads Are From Space

Over 100 years ago, archaeologists dug up these nine blackened, corroded lumps of stone from a pre-dynastic Egyptian cemetery. But it wasn’t until now that we realised just how old they are — and that they came from outer space.

Originally excavated back in 1911 near el-Gerzeh, the beads came from a meteorite that was actually an alloy of iron and nickel mixed with other elements like cobalt and phosphorus — these last two are what helped archaeologists determine its extraterrestrial origins. Because even though the beads are now highly corroded, a team led by Professor Thilo Rehren, director of the UCL branch in Qatar and an expert on the archaeology of metal working, were able to use a non-destructive test called prompt-gamma neutron activation analysis to determine both where they come from and how they were made.

more information here: Archaeologists Realise 5000-Year-Old Egyptian Beads Are From Space | Gizmodo Australia

A comet DID wipe out first North American prehistoric humans: Ice core data suggests

A cosmic impact 12,900 years ago could have led to the demise of the ‘Clovis’ people of North America, researchers claim.
    A layer of platinum from an ice core taken in Greenland has been dated back to the time of a known abrupt climate transition, known as the 'Big Freeze'.
    The freeze has been previously been linked to the demise of the Clovis people, the prehistoric hunter gatherers who were the first to occupy North America.
    According to researchers at Harvard University, this provides evidence that a comet tipped the world into its colder phase, making dozens of species extinct.

Read more: A comet DID wipe out first North American prehistoric humans: Ice core data suggests a cosmic impact killed off Clovis people | Mail Online

There's some motherfuckin' science...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    the Egyptian beads from space are pretty fucking interesting. Thanks

NOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOB
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    Copy & Pasta

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    Copy & Pasta
    that's why there's sited sources on the one's copy and pasted.

NOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOBNOOB
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirish View Post
    that's why there's sited sources on the one's copy and pasted.
    Yea which is basically all.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

4/15
    ​"Basically all".
    I am the seer in the dark,
    the vagabond of yore,
    valediction.
    I am the sum of all your parts,
    and proprietor of all.
    A miasma,
    the conclusion,
    blackmonger of Inlé,
    valediction.
    Synapses fray,
    my form now vivid,
    as torpor sets and blood grows tepid.
    With every ounce of flesh now offered,
    I hold your corpse within my coffers.
    Knitted cells now split asunder,
    stand alongside me brother.
    Take your place amongst my Owsla,
    we march at dawn now and forever.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Well if you don't fucking like it, then you can shut the fuck up. I'm posting interesting shit which most intelligent people would appreciate reading. Besides there's 15 different articles that I personally found and put together for everyone to read, which is more effort than I see in anything you post. Now don't quote me unless it's something that doesn't consist of retarded criticism or something a person with a high IQ can articulate in something more than 1 sentence of bullshit.

Better MPGH Event Organizer Than Arun Since '12
    Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Gonna start doing LSD.

Member Since 8/05/2012
    Editor 4/04/13 - 4/21/13
    Middleman 7/14/13 - 11/4/13

Battlefield Minion 6/13/14-3/20/15
    Steam Minion 7/16/14-3/20/15

Minion+ 10/1/14-3/20/15
    M.A.T. Minion 10/19/14-3/20/15
    ROTMG Minion 1/14/15-3/20/15

Donator Since 2/26/15 (Thanks @Cursed!)
    Steam Minion 5/9/15 - 11/5/15
    OSFPS Minion 9/15/15 - 11/5/15

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Color View Post
    Gonna start doing LSD.
    I'd highly advise it. I've never thought about life so much. Like I said "LSD isn't illegal because the government is concerned for your health that should be clear to us all. Psychedelics are illegal because they dissolve socially programmed patterns of thought and behavior and help you to realize that everything you know is wrong."

My life has never been the same after in a good way, and anyone you ask who's taken LSD will say the same. Nothing more spiritual I would say

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirish View Post
    Well if you don't fucking like it, then you can shut the fuck up. I'm posting interesting shit which most intelligent people would appreciate reading. Besides there's 15 different articles that I personally found and put together for everyone to read, which is more effort than I see in anything you post. Now don't quote me unless it's something that doesn't consist of retarded criticism or something a person with a high IQ can articulate in something more than 1 sentence of bullshit.
    Hue, got your panties up in a bunch? No one gives a fuck about your gay ass science threads, also you got offended and quoted me because I said "Copy & Pasta". Now listen to me, stfu and go suck a dick and go design some stuff for Arun also grow your "weed" lmfao. Faggot..

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Hue, got your panties up in a bunch? No one gives a fuck about your gay ass science threads, also you got offended and quoted me because I said "Copy & Pasta". Now listen to me, stfu and go suck a dick and go design some stuff for Arun also grow your "weed" lmfao. Faggot..
    ​Simmer down and go make some shitty eletronic music.
    the vagabond of yore,
    valediction.
    and proprietor of all.
    A miasma,
    the conclusion,
    blackmonger of Inlé,
    valediction.
    Synapses fray,
    my form now vivid,

Thanks
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by Aborted View Post

​Simmer down and go make some shitty eletronic music.
    K XTCJr. I don't produce music like I said before. Seems like you guys can't get into empty heads.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

K XTCJr. I don't produce music like I said before. Seems like you guys can't get into empty heads.
    ​Simmer down and link music passing it off as your own.
    the vagabond of yore,
    valediction.
    and proprietor of all.
    A miasma,
    the conclusion,
    blackmonger of Inlé,
    valediction.
    Synapses fray,
    my form now vivid,

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Didn't I specifically say "Now don't quote me unless it's something that doesn't consist of retarded criticism or something a person with a high IQ can articulate in something more than 1 sentence of bullshit."

Also i'm confused, I'm a faggot because I grow weed and make $100,000 every 4 months, as well as have artistic skills that are good enough to help arun on his game... I really don't understand where you're basing your information on, nor do I understand why you have to criticize and make false statements to fill your ego with more shit that it's already full of...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    "Previous research has shown that alcohol suppresses activity in the amygdala."

Fuck. This is why I can never notice danger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast