Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
  1. #16
    Margherita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    female
    Posts
    11,306
    Reputation
    783
    Thanks
    1,285
    My Mood
    Bashful
    This makes no sense because it's impossible and anyone could probably solve this.
    PM Me | VM Me | Rules

    MARGHERITA

  2. #17
    _corn_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    0x0C482BF2
    Posts
    673
    Reputation
    13
    Thanks
    279
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Quote Originally Posted by Margherita View Post
    This makes no sense because it's impossible and anyone could probably solve this.
    Wow. The average IQ on this forum must be around 50.

    You just said anyone could solve an impossible problem...
    My Brainfuck division algorithm. Input of n7 means 110/55 (ascii values for n and 7):
    Code:
    >,>,<[>[>>>+>+<<<<-]>>>>[<<<<+>>>>-]<<<<[<-[>>+>+<<<-]>>>[<<<+>>>-]+<[>-<<->[-]]>[<<-[<<->>[-]]>>-]<<]>>>[<<<+>>>-]<<<<<+>]<.
    There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311
    LOLOLOL NOT NO MOAR

  3. #18
    maximon555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Paradigm City
    Posts
    780
    Reputation
    100
    Thanks
    93
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Quote Originally Posted by _corn_ View Post


    I know that the runner passes the turtle, I admitted it in my first post. I do understand how physics and logic works, obviously more so than you.

    This paradox, as I said before, has baffled the world's top mathematicians for over 2000 years, what makes you think you are smarter than them?

    If you actually try and understand the paradox, you will see what the paradox is about - and you actually tried to say the paradox is a fallacy with the main concept of the paradox. If the runner catches up with the turtle, it seems he must have completed an infinite number of steps in a finite time, which is impossible. That is the paradox.
    The paradox asumes that you can infinitely reduce the time segments and distances and therefore, Achilles can never overtake the turtle.
    But you can't infinitely reduce distance. At some sub-atomic level, distance simply seizes to exist because there are no more "markers".

  4. #19
    _corn_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    0x0C482BF2
    Posts
    673
    Reputation
    13
    Thanks
    279
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Quote Originally Posted by maximon555 View Post
    The paradox asumes that you can infinitely reduce the time segments and distances and therefore, Achilles can never overtake the turtle.
    But you can't infinitely reduce distance. At some sub-atomic level, distance simply seizes to exist because there are no more "markers".
    You have a point there. Although I'm not sure what you are trying to say about distance "seizing" to exist. If distance doesn't exist at some sub-atomic level, how can you say it is a sub-atomic level?? Sub-atomic means the distance you are talking about is less than an atom, but if distance doesn't exist...wtf?

    EDIT: Or do you mean that the smallest unit of distance is reached at a sub-atomic level, so you cannot divide the distance any more? Is distance discrete or continuous?
    Last edited by _corn_; 10-22-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    My Brainfuck division algorithm. Input of n7 means 110/55 (ascii values for n and 7):
    Code:
    >,>,<[>[>>>+>+<<<<-]>>>>[<<<<+>>>>-]<<<<[<-[>>+>+<<<-]>>>[<<<+>>>-]+<[>-<<->[-]]>[<<-[<<->>[-]]>>-]<<]>>>[<<<+>>>-]<<<<<+>]<.
    There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311
    LOLOLOL NOT NO MOAR

  5. #20
    Assistive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
    Posts
    6,336
    Reputation
    705
    Thanks
    1,459
    My Mood
    Amused
    tl;dr

    Can I have a third grader version?

    "Dab is a Shitposting Retard" - Boombox 2016
     


  6. #21
    maximon555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Paradigm City
    Posts
    780
    Reputation
    100
    Thanks
    93
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Quote Originally Posted by _corn_ View Post


    You have a point there. Although I'm not sure what you are trying to say about distance "seizing" to exist. If distance doesn't exist at some sub-atomic level, how can you say it is a sub-atomic level?? Sub-atomic means the distance you are talking about is less than an atom, but if distance doesn't exist...wtf?

    EDIT: Or do you mean that the smallest unit of distance is reached at a sub-atomic level, so you cannot divide the distance any more? Is distance discrete or continuous?
    the paradox says that you can divide an object infinitely or as you put it approach a value, but never reach it, however, this paradox is completely mathematical and has no application in the real world. The thing about quantum mechanics though is that it requires a natural limit of space, Planck's constant which is equivalent to approximately (6.626 x 10^-34 Joules). Infinite doesn't exist in nature because they lead to contradictions as seen in the case of cavity radiation. The Planck length is about 10^-35 meters and is the smallest distance possible in the universe because at this scale quantum fluctuations cause distances smaller than this length impossible to be determined.
    Last edited by maximon555; 10-22-2013 at 05:49 AM.

  7. #22
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    female
    Location
    In your meatus
    Posts
    23,573
    Reputation
    2920
    Thanks
    5,343
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by _corn_ View Post


    I know that the runner passes the turtle, I admitted it in my first post. I do understand how physics and logic works, obviously more so than you.

    This paradox, as I said before, has baffled the world's top mathematicians for over 2000 years, what makes you think you are smarter than them?

    If you actually try and understand the paradox, you will see what the paradox is about - and you actually tried to say the paradox is a fallacy with the main concept of the paradox. If the runner catches up with the turtle, it seems he must have completed an infinite number of steps in a finite time, which is impossible. That is the paradox.


    See this video:




    LOL I know................

    THIS IS A BLOODY PARADOX NOT A SIMPLE PHYSICS QUESTION
    I'm not sure you are understanding me here. The presmise of the paradox states that he must do infinite steps within a finite period of time. The only way for that to be possible scientifically is for him to break constant velocity. Zeno's literally states that the pursuer only makes steps to where the tortoise HAS been. If he were to maintain constant velocity then Zeno's paradox relies on the assumption that both time and distance are infinitely divisible. Geometrically Achilles velocity will eventually reach and surpass the assymptote, in which the units of distance covere to reach where the tortuise HAD been becomes finite. Mathematicians have already made a standard solution to the paradox centuries ago and it's a lot simpler than what you're making it out to be.

  8. #23
    Youtro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Location Location Location!
    Posts
    3,328
    Reputation
    1175
    Thanks
    477
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    It's not a paradox.. nor it's even a mathematical theory. Just because the distance between the runner and the turtle changed in a specific factor up to a particular point, You still cannot prove any pattern.



  9. #24
    Ygritte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    WildLands
    Posts
    2,572
    Reputation
    183
    Thanks
    1,473
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Youtro View Post
    It's not a paradox.. nor it's even a mathematical theory. Just because the distance between the runner and the turtle changed in a specific factor up to a particular point, You still cannot prove any pattern.
    Exactly, This is one of the Stupidiest Paradox i ever heard...or maybe its just his explanation

  10. #25
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Under your bed, watching you sleep.
    Posts
    24,674
    Reputation
    3481
    Thanks
    3,602
    this is probably the most retarded paradox iv'e ever heard of



    My games;

    x

  11. #26
    Xenocide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,498
    Reputation
    2486
    Thanks
    9,960
    You, are fucking stupid.
    Of course he will run past him, it's not like he's slowing down his run the closer he gets to it.

    Congratulations, nobody lost their mind, except for you, who clearly didn't have one to begin with.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Xenocide For This Useful Post:

    maximon555 (10-22-2013)

  13. #27
    Hugo Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    28,442
    Reputation
    4062
    Thanks
    5,704
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Mathematics wise, no matter how many times you divide by 10, you will never reach 0.


    Please be aware of imposters. I do not own a Skype account and I will NEVER contact you outside of MPGH.


    My MPGH History

    Super User since 08-29-2017
    Global Moderator from 10-02-2016 - 08-29-2017
    Premium Seller since 11-16-2016
    Moderator from 09-24-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Alliance of Valiant Arms Minion from 11-12-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Market place Minion from 09-24-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Crossfire Minion from 09-11-2015 - 01-09-2016

    Middleman from 07-07-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Market Place Minion from 03-03-2014 - 08-01-2014
    Middleman from 01-30-2014 - 08-01-2014
    Moderator from 03-29-2013 - 04-04-2013
    Market Place Minion from 03-07-2013 - 04-04-2013
    Premium Member since 01-25-2013
    Middleman from 12-04-2012 - 04-04-2013
    Registered since 10-9-2011

  14. #28
    .REZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Real life
    Posts
    10,387
    Reputation
    1110
    Thanks
    2,216
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Quote Originally Posted by _corn_ View Post


    I don't see any rule saying the pursuer must get progressively slower. The pursuer and the turtle both run at a constant velocity, and the pursuer runs 10 times as fast as the turtle.
    It's not a fallacy, and no theory is being set up, this is a paradox.

    EDIT: I should have known better than to post this on here...
    If the pursuer runs 10 times as fast as the turtle then the pursuer would pass the turtle. The way that the "puzzle" is written states that the person never passes the turtle, but to do that, the person would have to slow down consistently to keep the decreasing distance between them constant. There.

  15. #29
    BurningAshes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    In ma house
    Posts
    3,087
    Reputation
    121
    Thanks
    310
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Wtf,Is the answer potato?

  16. #30
    HeroicXPharaoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    9,456
    Reputation
    1530
    Thanks
    1,910
    Meh, the guy will pass him in a few meters, not really that hard
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.


     
    If'd you like to donate to support me, shoot me a PM
     
     
    History
    Official Middleman January 15, 2015>May 20, 2015
    Marketplace Minion May 20, 2015>September 24, 2015
    Marketplace Moderator September 24, 2015>October 17, 2015
    Former Staff October 17, 2015>May 10, 2017
    Official Middleman May 10, 2017>November, 2017
    Resigned

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DO NOT POST UNLESS YOU HAVE A REQUEST!
    By Liz in forum Profile Edit Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM
  2. Ravallo, I need your help, if you would not mind
    By xXmw2fanXx in forum Middleman Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 12:31 PM
  3. Do not read this! Awh you read it ):
    By Omar the Sandnigger in forum General
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 04:03 PM
  4. hey you guys i need help istallin my template
    By da_g in forum Suggestions, Requests & Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 05:37 PM
  5. Please Read If you Need a Hack.
    By MaskedFox in forum WarRock - International Hacks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 09:17 PM