Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    unknownartist0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Murica
    Posts
    667
    Reputation
    378
    Thanks
    761

    Logical Fallacies, for MPGH.

    I notice that often times when people are arguing in the general section they use many logical fallacies. The point of this thread is to enlighten people on logical fallacies and hopefully people will not continue to argue in such invalid ways.


    The following information is the various types of common logical fallacies that are often used when people are arguing.


    1. The Straw man
    Misrepresenting someone's argument to make it easier to attack.
    By exaggerating, misrepresenting, or just completely fabricating someone's argument it is much easier to present your own position as being reasonable, but this kind of dishonesty serves to undermine rational debate.
    Example: After Will said that we should put more money into health and education, Warren responded by saying that he was surprised Will hates are country so much that he wants to leave it defenseless by cutting military spending.


    2. False Cause
    Presuming that a real or perceived relationship between things means that one is the cause of the other.
    Many people confuse correlation (things happening together or in sequence) for causation (that one thing actually cause the other to happen). Sometimes correlation is coincidental or it may be attributable to a common cause.
    Example: Pointing to a fancy chart, Roger shows how temperatures have been rising over the past few centuries, whilst at the same time the numbers of pirates have been decreasing, thus pirates cool the world and global warming is a hoax.


    3. Slippery Slope
    Asserting that if we allow A to happen, then Z will consequently happen too, therefore A should not happen.
    The problem with this reasoning is that it avoids engaging with the issue at hand and instead shifts attention to baseless extreme hypotheticals. The merits of the original argument are then tainted by unsubstantiated conjecture.
    Example: Colin Closet asserts that if we allow same-sex couples to marry, then the next thing we know we'll be allowing people to marry their parents, their cars, and even monkeys.


    4. Ad Hominem
    Attacking your opponent's character or personal traits in an attempt to undermine their argument.
    Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overly attacking somebody, or casting doubt on their character. The result of an ad hom attack can be to undermine someone without actually engaging with the substance of their argument.
    Example: After Sally presents an eloquent and compelling case for a more equitable taxation system, Sam asks the audience whether we should believe anything from a woman who isn't married, was once arrested, and smells a bit weird.


    5. Special Pleading
    Moving the goalposts or making up exceptions when a claim is shown to be false.
    Humans are funny creatures and have a foolish aversion to being wrong. Rather than appreciate the benefits of being able to change one's mind through better understanding, many will invent ways to cling to old beliefs.
    Example: Edward Johns claimed to be psychic but when his 'abilities' were tested under proper scientific conditions, they magically disappeared. Edward explained this saying that one had to have faith in his abilities for them to work.


    6. Loaded Question
    Asking a question that has an assumption built into it so that it can't be answered without appearing guilty.
    Loaded question fallacies are particularly effective at derailing rational debates because of their inflammatory nature - the recipient of the loaded question is compelled to defend themselves and may appear flustered or on the back foot.
    Example: Grace and Helen were both romantically interested in Brad. One day, with Brad sitting within earshot, Grace asked in an inquisitive tone whether Helen was having any problems with a fungal infection.


    7. The Gambler's Fallacy
    Believing that 'runs' occur to statistically independent phenomena such as roulette wheel spins.
    This commonly believed fallacy can be said to have helped create a city in the desert of Nevada USA. though the overall odds of a 'big run' happening may be low, each spin of the wheel is itself entirely independent from the last.
    Example: Red had come up six times in a row on the roulette wheel, so Greg knew that it was close to certain that black would be next up. Suffering an economic form of natural selection with this thinking, he soon lost all of his savings.


    8. Bandwagon
    Appealing to popularity or the fact that many people do something as an attempted form of validation.
    The flaw in this argument is that the popularity of an idea has absolutely no bearing on its validity. If it did then the Earth would have made itself flat for most of history to accommodate this popular belief.
    Example: Shamus pointed a drunken finger at Sean and asked him to explain how so many people could believe in leprechauns if they're only a silly old superstition. Sean, however, had had a few too many Guinness himself and fell off his chair.


    9. Black-or-White
    Where two alternate states are presented as the only possibilities, when in fact more possibilities exist.
    Also known as the false dilemma, this insidious tactic has the appearance of forming a logical argument, but under closer scrutiny it becomes evident that there are more possibilities than the either/or choice that is presented.
    Example: Whilst rallying support for his plan to fundamentally undermine citizens' rights, the Supreme Leader told the people they were either on his side, or on the side of the enemy.


    10. Begging the Question
    A circular argument in which the conclusion is included in the premise.
    This logically incoherent argument often arises in situations where people have an assumption that is very ingrained, and therefore taken in their minds as a given. Circular reasoning is bad mostly because it is not very good.
    Example: The word of Zorbo the Great is flawless and perfect. We know this because it says so in The Great Infallible book of Zorbo's Best and Most Truest Things that are Definitely True and Should Not Ever Be Questioned.


    11. Appeal to Authority
    Saying that because an authority thinks something, it must therefore be true.
    It's important to note that this fallacy should not be used to dismiss the claims of experts, or scientific consensus. Appeals to authority are not valid arguments, but nor is it reasonable to disregard the claims of experts who have a demonstrated depth of knowledge unless one has a similar level of understanding.
    Example: Not able to defend his position that evolution 'isn't true' Bob says that he knows a scientist who also questions evolution (and presumably isn't herself a primate.)


    12. Appeal to Nature
    Making the argument that because something is 'natural' it is therefore valid, justified, inevitable, good, or ideal.
    Many 'natural' things are also considered 'good' and this can bias our thinking, but naturalness itself doesn't make something good or bad. For instance murder could be seen as very natural, but that doesn't mean it's justifiable.
    Example: The medicine man rolled into town on his bandwagon offering various natural remedies, such as very special plain water. He said that it was only natural that people should be wary of 'artificial' medicines like antibiotics.


    13. Composition/Division
    Assuming that what's true about one part of something has to be applied to all, or other, parts of it.
    Often when something is true for the part it does also apply to the whole, but because this isn't always the case it can't be presumed to be true. We must show evidence for why a consistency will exist.
    Example: Daniel was a precocious child and had a liking for logic. He reasoned that atoms are invisible, and that he was made of atoms and therefore invisible too. Unfortunately, despite his thinking skills, he lost the game of hide and go seek.


    14. Anecdotal
    Using personal experience or and isolated example instead of a valid argument, especially to dismiss statistics.
    It's often much easier for people to believe someone's testimony as opposed to understanding variation across a continuum. Scientific and statistical measures are almost always more accurate than individual perceptions and experiences.
    Example: Jason said that was all cool and everything, but his grandfather smoked, like, 30 cigarettes a day and lived until 97 - so don't believe everything you read about meta-analysis of sound studies showing proven causal relationships.

    15. Appeal to Emotion
    Manipulating an emotional response in place of a valid compelling argument.
    Appeals to emotion include appeals to fear, envy, hatred, pity, guilt, and more. Through a valid, and reasoned, argument may sometimes have an emotional aspect, one must be careful that emotion doesn't obscure or replace reason.
    Example: Luke didn't want to eat his sheep's brains with chopped liver and Brussels sprouts, but his father told him to think about the poor, starving children in a third world country who weren't fortunate enough to have any food at all.


    16. The Fallacy Fallacy
    Presuming a claim to be necessarily wrong because a fallacy has been committed.
    It is entirely possible to make a claim that is false yet argue with logical coherency for that claim, just as it is possible to make a claim that is true and justify it with various fallacies and poor arguments.
    Example: Recognizing that Erika had committed a fallacy in arguing that we should eat healthy food because a nutritionist said it was popular, Victoria said we should therefore eat bacon double cheeseburgers every day.


    17. Tu Quoque
    Avoiding having to engage with criticism by turning it back on the accuser - answering criticism with criticism.
    Literally translating as 'you too' this fallacy is commonly employed as an effective red herring because it takes the heat off the accused having to defend themselves and shifts the focus back onto the accuser themselves.
    Example: Nicole identified that Hannah had committed a logical fallacy, but instead of addressing the substance of her claim, Hannah accused Nicole of committing a fallacy earlier on in the conversation.

    18. Personal Incredulity
    Saying that because one finds something difficult to understand, it's therefore not true.
    Subjects such as biological evolution via the process of natural selection require a good amount of understanding before one is able to properly grasp them, this fallacy is usually used in place of that understanding.
    Example: Kirk drew a picture of a fish and a human and with effusive disdain asked Richard if he really thought we were stupid enough to believe that a fish somehow turned into a human through just, like, random things happening over time.


    19. Burden of Proof
    Saying that the burden of proof lies not with the person making the claim, but with someone else to disprove.
    The burden of proof lies with someone who is making a claim, and is not upon anyone else to disprove. The inability, or disinclination, to prove a claim does not make it valid (however we must always go by the best available evidence).
    Example: Hans declared that a teapot is, at this very moment, in orbit around the sun between Earth and Mars, and that because no one can prove him wrong his claim is therefore a valid one.


    20. Ambiguity
    Using double meanings or ambiguities of language to mislead or misrepresent the truth.
    Politicians are often guilty of using ambiguity to mislead and will later point to how they were technically not outright lying if they come under scrutiny. It's a particularly tricky and premeditated fallacy to commit.
    Example: When the judge asked the defendant why he hadn't paid his parking fines, he said that he shouldn't have to pay them because the sign said 'Fine for parking here' and so he naturally presumed that it would be fine to park there.


    21. No True Scotsman
    Making what could be called an appeal to purity as a way to dismiss relevant criticisms or flaws of an argument.
    This fallacy is often employed as a measure of last resort when a point has been lost. Seeing that a criticism is valid, yet not wanting to admit it, new criteria are involved to dissociate oneself or one's argument.
    Example: Angus declares that Scotsmen do not put sugar on their porridge, to which Lachlan points out that he is a Scotsman and puts sugar on his porridge. Furious, like a true Scot, Angus yells that no true Scotsman sugars his porridge.


    22.Genetic
    Judging something good or bad on the basis of where it comes from, or from whom it comes.
    To appeal to prejudices surrounding something's origin is another red herring fallacy. This fallacy has the same function as an ad hominem, but applies instead to perceptions surrounding something's source or context.
    Example: Accused on the 6 o'clock news of corruption and taking bribes, the senator said that we should all be very wary of the things we hear in the media, because we all know how very unreliable the media can be.


    23. The Texas Sharpshooter
    Cherry-picking data clusters to suit an argument, or finding a pattern to fit a presumption.
    This false cause' fallacy is coined after a marksman shooting at barns and then painting a bulls-eye target around the spot where the most bullet holes appear. Clusters naturally appear by chance, and don't necessarily indicate causation.
    Example: The makes of Sugarette Candy Drinks point to research showing that of the five countries where Sugarette drinks sell the most units, three of them are in the top then healthiest countries on Earth, therefore Sugarette drinks are healthy.


    24.Middle Ground
    Saying that a compromise, or middle point, between two extremes must be the truth.
    Much of the time the truth does indeed lie between two extreme points, but this can bias our thinking, sometimes a thing is simply untrue and a compromise is also untrue. Half way between a lie is still a lie.
    Example: Holly said that vaccinations caused autism in children, but her scientifically well-read friend Caleb said that this claim had been debunked and proven false. Their friend Alice offered a compromise that vaccinations cause some autism.

    There is many more but these are just some I've came across in my time spent on here.

  2. #2
    Xenocide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,498
    Reputation
    2486
    Thanks
    9,962
    Informative I guess.

  3. #3
    Lightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    MPGH
    Posts
    4,760
    Reputation
    1653
    Thanks
    11,710
    My Mood
    Angelic
    TL;DR
    But all i could see here was that op is a faggot

    MPGH member since 11 February 2012
    Ex - Contributor
    Ex - CF minion

  4. #4
    Raple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    male
    Posts
    9,419
    Reputation
    3093
    Thanks
    8,382
    No one is going to listen to this anyway.
    There will always be a group of idiots arguing in general.


     
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerpath View Post
    I NEED TO HELP PEOPLE IN HOUSTON TX UNBAN ME I don't deserve to be banned ever! I am damn near A perfect users do I look like "Dildotheking" to you guys??? I can see him being banned this long but not me!
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerpath View Post
    I am not very happy about this. Now I have to live with two infractions for the rest of my LIFE!! Over a little spamming. That's like me going to jail for 934563498 years for jaywalking. Now I have to hang and chat with the other low lives with infractions!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerpath View Post
    Hello, I would like to request Admin for A day. I have been in leader positions in certain things such as Roblox So I would hope you guys let me one day get od or Admin for A day
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerpath View Post
    Do not deal with this DEMON!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cornerpath View Post
    THIS GUY IS THE DEVIL!!! TRIED TO SCAM ME!


    Global Moderator - October 2017
    Official News Team - June 2017
    Official Publicist - May 2017
    Moderator - May 2017
    Other MMORPGs Minion - May 2017
    Steam Minion - May 2017
    Minecraft Minion - May 2017
    Realm of the Mad God Minion - May 2017




     



    The journey is over, I am finally GM. Thank you if you supported me.

  5. #5
    Xenocide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,498
    Reputation
    2486
    Thanks
    9,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Raple Syrup View Post
    No one is going to listen to this anyway.
    There will always be a group of idiots arguing in general.
    Nobody ever argues in general.

  6. #6
    HΔSTUR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    ┐└.jambi
    Posts
    1,959
    Reputation
    279
    Thanks
    201
    Post this as "How to argue" in Rage section.



  7. #7
    Snape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Hogwarts
    Posts
    13,888
    Reputation
    855
    Thanks
    2,987
    cool story bro, now gtfo



  8. #8
    Denelf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    DEAD
    Posts
    5,323
    Reputation
    422
    Thanks
    639
    Im sorry but i cant hear you with a mouthfull of cocks

  9. #9
    unknownartist0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Murica
    Posts
    667
    Reputation
    378
    Thanks
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post


    Nobody ever argues in general.
    General counts as Debate fort, Entertainment, etc...

  10. #10
    EL Surenzo dA KK Caponeiyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Underground city
    Posts
    3,674
    Reputation
    503
    Thanks
    1,748
    My Mood
    Drunk
    GoodDay Sir

  11. #11
    Azathᴏth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    male
    Location
    49°51′S 128°34′W
    Posts
    13,526
    Reputation
    1136
    Thanks
    1,683
    My Mood
    Lurking
    These aren't logical fallacies.

  12. #12
    Xenocide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,498
    Reputation
    2486
    Thanks
    9,962
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownartist0 View Post


    General counts as Debate fort, Entertainment, etc...
    But in there everyone always agrees about everything, every time.

  13. #13
    unknownartist0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Murica
    Posts
    667
    Reputation
    378
    Thanks
    761
    Quote Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post


    But in there everyone always agrees about everything, every time.
    I think your just not looking hard enough.

  14. #14
    Skipsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    male
    Location
    Kamchatka
    Posts
    1,704
    Reputation
    74
    Thanks
    646
    My Mood
    Cynical
    I find that people just choose who they want to hate.

    Depending on whether other people dislike them or not.

    They just hop on the bandwagon because they want to be popular instead of having a real argument.

  15. #15
    Exotiic.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    male
    Location
    '|NYC|'
    Posts
    3,497
    Reputation
    421
    Thanks
    841
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    But everyone in General can agree on one thing:


    OP is a faggot and needs to stop typing and start sucking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. For MPGH Admin's/Mods!
    By dragooon in forum WarRock - International Hacks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-28-2007, 06:10 AM
  2. Petition for MPGH Skin
    By BluSpex in forum Suggestions, Requests & Help
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 04:46 AM
  3. new room for mpgh
    By damanis1 in forum WarRock Korea Hacks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 10:33 AM
  4. DOWNLOAD WoW.exe HERE! (Full Client For MPGH Server)
    By RebornAce in forum General Gaming
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-14-2006, 03:54 AM
  5. My Predictions for MPGH...
    By RebornAce in forum General Gaming
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 09:15 AM