Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Anybody else interested in Cyber Security?

So I was planning on going into the field of Cyber security and didn't know if anyone is/ is studying to be trained in this field as well and could give some advice to start early such as what kind of programming languages to learn before college. Also, was wondering some good schools in your opinion in this field, personal experience would be appreciated.

𝕡𝕠𝕔𝕜𝕖𝕥𝕤 𝕤𝕠 𝕗𝕒𝕥
    Admin
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    No offense, but why choose cyber security? It sounds like you have absolutely no experience in it based on the questions, so why limit your job prospects without knowing if you actually like what you're studying.

On the flip side, you don't need to be able to program to manage cyber security, but I don't know if there's a degree for that, but that could be anything from desktop virus installer to IT manager to anti virus software programmer.

v1.96 - Tutorials, Upgraded Town, Def Revamp
    v1.97 - Cutscenes/Quests, Friend List
    v1.98 - Classes, Necklace/Rings
    v1.99 - Guilds
    v2.00 - Open Beta

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arunforce For This Useful Post:

Youtro (12-06-2014)

Thanks
    I have no interest in it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Well, I'll do my best to answer all your questions. In high school I was a programmer, very attributed one, I won multiple awards from my school and the Xerox Award which came with a grant, and I was split between Computer Science major and Infosec because during high school I went to a secondary college that allowed me to study cyber security in partition with my high school and still get all the credits I need. You need to do what you want because if this is your first time haering about cyber security and you lack really any knowledge about a computer then you're most likely going to be very behind everyone else taking the class and that will turn into self-doubt and you'll eventually just fall behind. If you've been studying computers for a few years now and are just kinda familiarizing with this subject then that's fine, but make sure you don't do it because it has hacking because that's part of it, but Infosec is a huge field.

Infosec is a huge field with a variety of jobs, but not in comparison to what Software Engineering or Computer Science provides. Infosec scope is very small however there's not a lot of us out there and security will be a very demanding job within the next few years if you've followed the Sony hack and what not. On the topic of colleges, just go in state. If you are superb in school, and I'm talking 36 on the ACT with AP classes 4.0+GPA then don't plan on going to Carnegie or MIT. There are many colleges in state that have the Infosec major and they're probably very good so don't get caught up about college prestige and notority because it doesn't matter when you're getting hired. They look at your certifications, high school attributions, and what you can do. Your major is an aspect of what you can do, but you'd be amazed at how many programmers get hired and they don't even know how to program, or during the programming interview they can't do a simple algorithm.

Infosec does require a bit of programming, I had a lot of programming experience before my decision, but I also learned some at the secondary college I was talking about. The secondary college had an airgap network and we were able to pentest on different OSs, we had wifi sniffers, we did all sorts of things like that so it was a great introduction to the field. I also got a book called CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker, and you can get a CEH certification once you''re 18 which I have yet to get despite the fact I read the book and have all the knowledge needed, one of the requirements for the certification is 2 years experience or attending one of their official meetings or something. Anyways, as far as programming languages go, I would learn Python. Easy to learn, simple, but very powerful and is used with Metasploit attacks and will be very helpful for when you are securing networks or websites as you can make a simple check to attempt to bypass security you've implemented without you doing it yourself a hundred times. After Python, learning something a lower level language can really help you, but not much programming is needed, but it does help.

edit: sorry for this very poor put together text. I was looking at my last sentence and how horrid it is. I just woke up. If you have any questions feel free to PM/VM me. Specific or personal is fine.
    Last edited by Psychotic; 12-06-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Global Moderator since 09.23.2017
    Moderator Since 09.01.2016
    Minion+ Since 07.22.2016

Marketplace Minion Since 06.09.2016
    Trove Minion Since 06.06.2016
    Middleman Since 04.21.2016
    Social Engineering Minion Since 02.03.2016
    News FO Freelancer From 11.08.2015 to 07.23.2016
    News FO Head Editor From 08.23.2015 to 11.08.2015
    News FO Head Editor From 07.19.2012 to 08.11.2014
    MPGH News and News FO Founder
    Programming Minion From Unknown to 04.23.2013
    Minecraft Minion From 09.19.2012 to 04.23.2013
    Member Since 05.13.2012

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Sheep View Post
    Well, I'll do my best to answer all your questions. In high school I was a programmer, very attributed one, I won multiple awards from my school and the Xerox Award which came with a grant, and I was split between Computer Science major and Infosec because during high school I went to a secondary college that allowed me to study cyber security in partition with my high school and still get all the credits I need. You need to do what you want because if this is your first time haering about cyber security and you lack really any knowledge about a computer then you're most likely going to be very behind everyone else taking the class and that will turn into self-doubt and you'll eventually just fall behind. If you've been studying computers for a few years now and are just kinda familiarizing with this subject then that's fine, but make sure you don't do it because it has hacking because that's part of it, but Infosec is a huge field.

Infosec is a huge field with a variety of jobs, but not in comparison to what Software Engineering or Computer Science provides. Infosec scope is very small however there's not a lot of us out there and security will be a very demanding job within the next few years if you've followed the Sony hack and what not. On the topic of colleges, just go in state. If you are superb in school, and I'm talking 36 on the ACT with AP classes 4.0+GPA then don't plan on going to Carnegie or MIT. There are many colleges in state that have the Infosec major and they're probably very good so don't get caught up about college prestige and notority because it doesn't matter when you're getting hired. They look at your certifications, high school attributions, and what you can do. Your major is an aspect of what you can do, but you'd be amazed at how many programmers get hired and they don't even know how to program, or during the programming interview they can't do a simple algorithm.

Infosec does require a bit of programming, I had a lot of programming experience before my decision, but I also learned some at the secondary college I was talking about. The secondary college had an airgap network and we were able to pentest on different OSs, we had wifi sniffers, we did all sorts of things like that so it was a great introduction to the field. I also got a book called CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker, and you can get a CEH certification once you''re 18 which I have yet to get despite the fact I read the book and have all the knowledge needed, one of the requirements for the certification is 2 years experience or attending one of their official meetings or something. Anyways, as far as programming languages go, I would learn Python. Easy to learn, simple, but very powerful and is used with Metasploit attacks and will be very helpful for when you are securing networks or websites as you can make a simple check to attempt to bypass security you've implemented without you doing it yourself a hundred times. After Python, learning something a lower level language can really help you, but not much programming is needed, but it does help.

edit: sorry for this very poor put together text. I was looking at my last sentence and how horrid it is. I just woke up. If you have any questions feel free to PM/VM me. Specific or personal is fine.
    Very well detailed, thank you for putting the time into making this post.