I managed to make a Maricopa edu adress using the steps in the first post. There are just a few tricks to make it work:
1. Use thunderbird as your email manager. The regular google powered one won't work for a while.
2. >very important< enroll on some courses. You must do it in order for your edu mail to get confirmed.
The bad news is that:
1. the email i got it's not working with on-the-hub software.
2. You can't get free Microsoft office with maricopa emails.
The good news:
1. Autodesk software can be downloaded with this edu address
And that was pretty much everything i tried to do with that edu address...
I created my maricopa edu email on 1st of August 2015. (yep, it took me a while to post here).