Offical KABAM response to security breach...
Hey guys! Looks likes the developers of RoTMG have something to say about the security breach...
Official Realm Update (9/7/13)
On September 6, 2013, we detected a security breach in connection with Kabamís Realm of the Mad God forums website. The forums database only stores email addresses and passwords. While passwords are stored in a hashed format, not in plain text, a determined effort could reverse engineer such information to gain access to passwords. You should immediately change the password for any email addresses you use along with any accounts that shared the same password as your Realm of the Mad God forums account.
Please rest assured that no information stored within the Realm of the Mad God game databases were accessed. My account was compromised because it shared an email address and password with the account I used on the Realm of the Mad God forums. As a result of this security issue on the Realm of the Mad God forums, they have been closed until further notice which will prevent any further abuse. A brand new official Realm of the Mad God forums has been created here. We will be migrating important threads from the previous forums to the new forums and will have more information about the player maintained wiki in the near future.
There are a few things youíll immediately notice when youíre able to log back into the game:
- Character data has been rolled back. This means that any character that died between 12:01 AM PDT on 9/5 until the game was brought down on 9/6 will once again be alive with the gear they had before dying. To ensure that there are no conflicts, these characters have been put into new Character Slots. If you feel that your character was not restored please contact support HERE
- Any unreleased items that were distributed have been removed.
- The Nexus has been damaged. Oryx the Mad God found someone willing to summon him and his minions into the Nexus and this battle has left lasting damage. As heroes defeat Oryx 2 and other bosses in the Battle for the Nexus (see below for more details) the Nexus will return to its normal state.
Shortly the team will be bringing Realm of the Mad God back online. We thank you for your patience today while we corrected this issue. Any events and/or promotions that were planned for this weekend have been moved to a later date. Early next week we will be releasing the key to Battle for the Nexus. This key will be available for Fame or a small amount of Gold and will unlock a dungeon that has players fighting back various dungeon bosses and Oryx 2 from the damaged Nexus. Each boss will have a chance to drop an admin themed vanity weapon:
- Staff: Koala Pow (KoalaP)
- Sword: Dr Swordsworth (Dr. Bearsworth)
- Wand: Spicy Wand of Spice (SirRacha)
- Bow: Robobow (NullBot)
- Dagger: Sunshine Shiv (sgtsunshne)
- Katana: Arbiters Wrath (ArbiterZ)
Have a great week and again we all thank you for your patience.
Do you guys think that this was the right decision my Kabam? Discuss below!