Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

I was looking for what people thought they were based upon the bible.(or the quran if you knew).

Because I'm going to do a thread later next week about sins and there relationship to the workings of the bible and its system.
    ----------------

In other words, I was wondering if people had an idea based on the text, not based upon what their personal opinion is of sin.

Most likely, the seven sins most people know are from early catholic teachings and dante's divine comedy.

But I was wondering if you had a biblical reasoning for what sin is.

Oh well if you're looking for actual evidence from the bible on what sin is, here's a few verses that should explain it.

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.(1 John 3:4)

So basically breaking the "law" is a sin. However the law is everchanging so there's much debate on the concept of sin. Because if this verse is indeed accurate, then for example, if marijuana is legalized, does that mean smoking it is not a sin?

Then once again I fell prostrate before the Lord for forty days and forty nights; I ate no bread and drank no water, because of all the sin you had committed, doing what was evil in the Lord’s sight and so arousing his anger.(Deuteronomy 9:7-21)

In here there is another concept for sin. This concept is that doing whatever angers the Lord is a sin. So basically whatever the Lord mentioned in his holy transcriptions.

Also you might want to look into hamartiology, the study of sin. I'm not too in depth in the biblical concepts but I do have a grasping of it as a whole.
    Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 04-20-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferris Bueller View Post

Oh well if you're looking for actual evidence from the bible on what sin is, here's a few verses that should explain it.

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.(1 John 3:4)

So basically breaking the "law" is a sin. However the law is everchanging so there's much debate on the concept of sin. Because if this verse is indeed accurate, then for example, if marijuana is legalized, does that mean smoking it is not a sin?

Then once again I fell prostrate before the Lord for forty days and forty nights; I ate no bread and drank no water, because of all the sin you had committed, doing what was evil in the Lord’s sight and so arousing his anger.(Deuteronomy 9:7-21)

In here there is another concept for sin. This concept is that doing whatever angers the Lord is a sin. So basically whatever the Lord mentioned in his holy transcriptions.

Also you might want to look into hamartiology, the study of sin. I'm not too in depth in the biblical concepts but I do have a grasping of it as a whole.
    So......#2?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

So......#2?
    Yes, #2 is most likely it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I consider Sin to be the actions that agitate my conscience to a great extent.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Time View Post
    Soo Justin Bieber is a sin ?

The thread was asking about sin on a religious level (specifically christianity).

Also I think he wanted us to pick one of the 2 concepts he mentioned.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Time View Post
    Yeah....that doesn't work on any level.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12