Slimenia's shop, right next to the church
    Thanks

I'm interested in learning how to create custom content for Private Servers.

Hi. I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a while in the Realm of the Mad God section. The game has been fun, although as my account is somewhat new, I haven't dabbled in using clients in the game, nor have I really tried out any private servers on the section. I created this account because I've been wondering recently as to what I could create for a Private Server, but I haven't dabbled in coding, well, at all, really. I've heard codeacademy is a good place to start, but a few things first.

-I want to develop server plugins, not actually develop an entirely new Private Server source, version, etc. This extends past simply custom items, custom enemies, custom maps, and other similar content covered in the Sticky.
    -I have no coding knowledge, as stated before. Is there any language I should try to learn first before tackling a version of ActionScript?
    -Which version of ActionScript are Private Servers most often coded in? I know that ActionScript 3 was built from the ground up, making it entirely different from older versions of the code.
    -What should I focus on when learning the proper version of ActionScript in order to make the most out of the tutorials for creating Private Server content?
    -Anything I should watch out for in general?

If any of you here could answer any of these questions above (not necessarily all of them, but that would be great!), I would appreciate it. Thanks.

-Daive
    Last edited by Splodgy Daive; 01-19-2016 at 02:48 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Splodgy Daive View Post
    -I want to develop server plugins, not actually develop an entirely new Private Server source, version, etc. This extends past simply custom items, custom enemies, custom maps, and other similar content covered in the Sticky.
    The sources we have available are all open-source which means that the initiative for a modular plugin system is pretty low. In other words, you basically hardcode most things.

-I have no coding knowledge, as stated before. Is there any language I should try to learn first before tackling a version of ActionScript?
    On codeacademy, you won't find C#, but JavaScript has some close parallels (it's as close as you'll get for that website for now.) You should use codeacademy to figure out the basics. After that, you can consider coding as "a repeated exercise of creative application of methods towards a solution".

https://msdn.microsof*****m/ is a good place for looking up extensive documentation on anything on the system level or other base classes provided by C#.

Which version of ActionScript are Private Servers most often coded in? I know that ActionScript 3 was built from the ground up, making it entirely different from older versions of the code.
    The client has only been made with AS3 alongside the Flex SDK 4.6.

What should I focus on when learning the proper version of ActionScript in order to make the most out of the tutorials for creating Private Server content?
    You should focus on creating serverside content. The client isn't easy to get into right from zero-knowledge, which is why you should get a feel for how code works before tackling the client. Also, most tutorials here for privates servers are pretty shit, so you won't get much looking at all of them. It's still somewhat helpful, but indirectly.

-Anything I should watch out for in general?
    1.) Use either Seraphs Dominion or Fabiano Swagger of Doom. These are the newer sources and WILL save you the hassles of forking from an older, more outdated source. If you're aiming to quickly edit the client in AS3 right out of the box, use SD.

2.) Learn how to use XAMPP or WAMP for your MySQL database directive. MySQL workbench has its complications, and working with XAMPP or WAMP gives you more control on the MySQL service.

3.) Learn how to use version control. This isn't AS necessary if you're just working alone, but it's important and it's worth the time to try to use git (and its online service, ******).