Thanks

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi-Episode 3

Anime of the season

Next episode will be good, but it's A1, so around 5-6 I see them messing it up completely. They've already changed around a few things. Minor but they keep adding up.

Satoru finally wakes up from his 15 year coma after almost getting drowned to death by the teacher, and what's that? Kayo fucked his best friend and had a kid even after all he went through? He doesn't even remember Airi either.

Regardless, smile: Protected

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Takatsuki For This Useful Post:

FlexGod (01-23-2016)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    At first I thought this anime was gonna another boring mystery / "thriller" anime that wasn't gonna challenge my intellect at all. Cause honestly if you can figure out who done it in 20 mins its not really a "mystery".
    That being said they're were some problems with the first 2 episodes like when the lady from next door just busts into the room after than man was just "telling his mom" about how you have to lock the doors around here. then she sees right? then the lady calls the cops and the cops are there in what 30 seconds? Then he runs from the cops... I mean I don't know much about the police in japan but I think they would be able to figure out he didn't kill his own damn mother.

If theres anyone who has read the manga or knows IS that girl from the pizza place in the present the reincarnation of the girl he's trying to save? And is the anime trying to make me think the teacher is the one abducting this children?
    Last edited by FlexGod; 01-23-2016 at 08:53 AM.
    NightOwl

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Takatsuki View Post
    Anime of the season
    Well given there isn't anything else, that's not too hard to do.

I don't mind this series and I know that A-1 have an impossible task in order to screw up anything but the ending.

However, I've seen waaaaaaay too many time-travel series at this point for me to care.

I think there is a bit too much "shock factor" in this show as well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flex1178 View Post
    If theres anyone who has read the manga or knows IS that girl from the pizza place in the present the reincarnation of the girl he's trying to save? And is the anime trying to make me think the teacher is the one abducting this children?
    No, you'll see loli Airi next episode I believe.

As for the police showing up and such, it was done different in the manga: He had actually ran out back and tried hopping the fence which is why the old lady called the police.

Oh, and as for who did it; It's pretty obvious by the next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post
    Well given there isn't anything else, that's not too hard to do.
    Dagashi Kashi and Phantom World were my only two other contestants. I feel like if A1 fucks this up by episode 5, it'll go to Dagashi.

However, I've seen waaaaaaay too many time-travel series at this point for me to care.

I think there is a bit too much "shock factor" in this show as well.
    Time travel is usually done wrong or maybe even overused, but I feel like the way they handle it in Boku Dake ga Inai Machi is very mature and actually understanding. By the end of the series, however, he just wigs the fuck out with time travel so I'm not very fond of that.

As for shock factor, I can agree. You're supposed to be amazed with everything happening but even so, I am. When Kayo was found in the shed beaten, I swear man I wanted to kill that fucking mom.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Time travel is usually done wrong or maybe even overused, but I feel like the way they handle it in Boku Dake ga Inai Machi is very mature and actually understanding. By the end of the series, however, he just wigs the fuck out with time travel so I'm not very fond of that.
    The thing is with time travel you treat it one or two ways:
    "The Doctor" where you just say it's wibbly wobbly goo and fuck you he's the doctor.
    "Steins;Gate" where you establish the rules very clearly and only play by those rules.

This show looks to be more like the doctor who rules of time travel than anything serious.

As for shock factor, I can agree. You're supposed to be amazed with everything happening but even so, I am. When Kayo was found in the shed beaten, I swear man I wanted to kill that fucking mom.
    Thing is, that doesn't make any sense.

Why would the mother do that? How is Kayo in such a state where that happens?

It only happens seemingly for shock factor. This does not logically make sense in the universe for that to happen and are we supposed to just accept the fact that his mother is that one in a million psychopath?

It's way too heavy on that and making it this "deep" element for no real reason.

Also: This whole "I went back in time as a child" is kind of silly. Your mind would be so far above the level of the other children.
    (actually this highlights a major problem with anime in general)
    Last edited by Empire; 01-23-2016 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks
    This show looks to be more like the doctor who rules of time travel than anything serious.
    They explain the trigger later on(assuming they actually make it to that point in the story) but the rules are there. The only reason it seems so disorganized now is because it's only happened once. We'll see a few more times, however.

Why would the mother do that? How is Kayo in such a state where that happens?
    >What are Abusive Parents?

Parents like this are extremely rare(that I'm aware of) and when it happens it's often for no reason other than being a lunatic. I know that's kind of a cop out in terms of story, but there really isn't any reason.

It only happens seemingly for shock factor. This does not logically make sense in the universe for that to happen and are we supposed to just accept the fact that his mother is that one in a million psychopath?
    Pretty much, yeah. You're supposed to accept the fact that her SOS and "Will you kill someone for me?" is basically her being depressed due to her parents abusing her. This isn't changed at all. She's targeted because she's alone and no one cares about her. That's pretty obvious by the last episode where everyone frames her all because she's poor and anti-social.

It's way too heavy on that and making it this "deep" element for no real reason.
    Well, I can't say a lot without spoiling. The way the next few episodes pan out and when he time travels a few more times, it'll seemingly get more and more deep because the story changes around.

I honestly have no idea if the anime can cover the entire story and do it correctly. I would 100% recommend the manga simply because I think it's easier to understand in one full read, rather than 20 minute splits every week. The art is a bit wacky and the characters look completely different but I still think it's a good read.

- - - Updated - - -

Also: This whole "I went back in time as a child" is kind of silly. Your mind would be so far above the level of the other children.
    (actually this highlights a major problem with anime in general)
    It is above the other children...throughout the entire series you see him thinking as a 28 year old male, not a 10 year old. That was already stated a few times, even by the adults around him. His mother says he's behaving differently, and his childhood friends think so too.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    [COLOR="Black"]
    They explain the trigger later on(assuming they actually make it to that point in the story) but the rules are there. The only reason it seems so disorganized now is because it's only happened once. We'll see a few more times, however. .
    It's not so much the "trigger" but the mechanics.

>What are Abusive Parents?

Parents like this are extremely rare(that I'm aware of) and when it happens it's often for no reason other than being a lunatic. I know that's kind of a cop out in terms of story, but there really isn't any reason. .
    You don't understand. The parent is evil. That's the problem. The parent isn't taking it out on the child due to stress, the parent is simply evil.

This theory that there are just "evil adults" in the world who do this sort of stuff is a joke. The reason kids get beaten/abused as a child is due to:
    A) Low income/low education housing perpetuating their psychological trauma that was instilled upon the parents when they were children.
    B) A complete psychopath/sadist who has mental issues. This is more than 1 in a hundred million rare because of how likely it would be that they had children and the kid made it to that stage in life.

It is above the other children...throughout the entire series you see him thinking as a 28 year old male, not a 10 year old. That was already stated a few times, even by the adults around him. His mother says he's behaving differently, and his childhood friends think so too.
    The problem more or less is convenience. It's convenient that all these events happened for the sake of plot.

It's convenient that he has to go back in time to right a wrong and gain a love interest.

It's also EXTREMELY convenient she didn't update the police on the finding when the mother first found out./COLOR]
    Last edited by Empire; 01-24-2016 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks
    It's not so much the "trigger" but the mechanics.
    What do you mean mechanics?

You don't understand. The parent is evil. That's the problem. The parent isn't taking it out on the child due to stress, the parent is simply evil.
    Yeah it's a cheesy way of pushing a plot forward. Yet, there really isn't any other way when you write it like so. This is supposed to be a movie split into 12 parts(aka 12 episodes). There are only three more chapters in the manga, so there really isn't much left for them to cover. Honestly, I don't see how they plan on fitting the remainder of the series when the final chapters aren't even out yet. It's going to be like AgK where they literally make up the ending.

The problem more or less is convenience. It's convenient that all these events happened for the sake of plot.

It's convenient that he has to go back in time to right a wrong and gain a love interest.

It's also EXTREMELY convenient she didn't update the police on the finding when the mother first found out.
    I mean, when is something not convenient. If it's not convenient, then it's rational. Obviously him having this ability is never explained because it really doesn't need to be explained. "Well someone else could have it." Sure, why not? What would that do to the story though other than make it more complicated?

I think of it like this;

-In his original life, he ignored Kayo when she was alone in the park. Call it him simply being a 10 year old kid and not wanting to talk to her, whatever his reasons, I'm sure most people would ignore her too thinking nothing of it.

-In the alternate life where he's 28 inside his 10-year old's body, he realizes that without saving Kayo, he can't save his mom.

It's rather rational that, as a person with the ability to fix something in their life, you would do it. It just so happens that along the way he grows rather fond of her and she grows fond of him.<<<<(This will undoubtedly end up pissing every single person off at the end because of events to come)

It's rather forced drama that is supposed to make you feel sad for a character and their unfortunate life. Kayo has a rather rare case in terms of abuse that would go unnoticed, but there is a reason it goes unnoticed by everyone(other than what the teacher says.)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    -Alright, I read the manga real quick.
    What do you mean mechanics?
    Time Travel is a unique thing in that the ability needs to be explained but also the limitations and repercussions.

In steins;gate they explain it as the "reality line", that is each change that is made is a completely different universe with a new "ending" and so many of the changes had to be made in order to get to the final ending.

All those other universes still existed, they just didn't exist in the one with the MC.

Yeah it's a cheesy way of pushing a plot forward. Yet, there really isn't any other way when you write it like so. This is supposed to be a movie split into 12 parts(aka 12 episodes). There are only three more chapters in the manga, so there really isn't much left for them to cover. Honestly, I don't see how they plan on fitting the remainder of the series when the final chapters aren't even out yet. It's going to be like AgK where they literally make up the ending.
    It's cheesy, but it's also just poorly written. Making them evil suspends all disbelief. The author just clarified that anyone can be the killer because psychopathic evil is introduced into the series.

This is a problem with making it a "murder mysterY'.

I mean, when is something not convenient. If it's not convenient, then it's rational. Obviously him having this ability is never explained because it really doesn't need to be explained. "Well someone else could have it." Sure, why not? What would that do to the story though other than make it more complicated?

I think of it like this;

-In his original life, he ignored Kayo when she was alone in the park. Call it him simply being a 10 year old kid and not wanting to talk to her, whatever his reasons, I'm sure most people would ignore her too thinking nothing of it.

-In the alternate life where he's 28 inside his 10-year old's body, he realizes that without saving Kayo, he can't save his mom.

It's rather rational that, as a person with the ability to fix something in their life, you would do it. It just so happens that along the way he grows rather fond of her and she grows fond of him.<<<<(This will undoubtedly end up pissing every single person off at the end because of events to come)
    The difference is that it's convenient for the plot. Not for the character.

It creates a mission. That's why his power (however or if it is ever explained) is just bad writing. He's sent back in time on a "mission" and it just so happens there was a murder, kidnapping, and all that jazz that needs to be solved.

It's also incredibly poor writing that the killer introduces himself, then the main character gets in a coma with amnesia. That is some shit tier writing to be honest.

ALSO I want to clarify a huuuuuuuge problem in the "murder mystery".

In most murder mystery you have two options
    A) Process of catching an unknown killer, like actual police work with suspects A, B, and C.
    B)The "Clue" version where you have a set number of characters who you know one of them is the murderer.

Boku Dake makes it pretty obvious that it's Clue from the start because the author keeps mentioning "those eyes".

The problem with that is the potential list of murderers is very short throughout the manga.

I had a list and this is how it went:
    1. Teacher. The only other adult male around in forever.
    2. The police buddy. Again, the only other adult male. Has fucking candy in his car like a stereotypical pedofile did, driving around in a van.

Point is, why the fuck would it be a surprise if any of them was the murderer? It wouldn't and one of them has to be because the author established "Clue".

These characters are background but they are there BECAUSE the author needs to show that it was "someone you know".

It becomes really boring to have this whole "mystery" there but know that it's going to be one of the "innocent" background characters simply because there is only 2-3 of them.

Not only that, why the fuck would you have the entire plot of the series revolve around that but NOT have the murderer be someone important?

Yeesh.

Last edited by Empire; 01-24-2016 at 02:45 AM.

Thanks
    Time Travel is a unique thing in that the ability needs to be explained but also the limitations and repercussions.
    Yep, none were really there. I think the only "repercussion" they could even hint at is that he doesn't know where/who is going to have something bad happen to them, or that he himself could become injured. Again, not really a downside or even a mechanic as it's character based.

It's cheesy, but it's also just poorly written. Making them evil suspends all disbelief. The author just clarified that anyone can be the killer because psychopathic evil is introduced into the series.

This is a problem with making it a "murder mysterY'.
    Agree'd. The issue with the parents abusing Kayo is that, anyone off the bat would believe that the parents killed her. So when they're not blamed, even after the supposed Child Custody services had visited them, there are only two people you can accuse at that point..And gee, I wonder who is the most obvious.

It creates a mission. That's why his power (however or if it is ever explained) is just bad writing. He's sent back in time on a "mission" and it just so happens there was a murder, kidnapping, and all that jazz that needs to be solved.
    I'd call it more of a coincidence that his mom was murdered because of the events 18 years ago. It's another "push the plot" button that doesn't really explain itself in any outstanding way.

It's also incredibly poor writing that the killer introduces himself, then the main character gets in a coma with amnesia. That is some shit tier writing to be honest.
    "Hey I'm the killer."
    "Hey you're gonna get drowned now."

I think most killers would probably attempt this given the circumstances.. Him getting amnesia just further pisses me off at the end. Kayo fucks his friend, and then he doesn't remember Airi? If we were to define the word "cucked" on any website, this is the definition.

Point is, why the fuck would it be a surprise if any of them was the murderer? It wouldn't and one of them has to be because the author established "Clue".
    You know they gave away who the killer was in the OP, right? He's literally on the broken glass holding a gun. They don't attempt to hide it at all. I think if anything their goal with this series was to make it romantic, but throw in a "depressed girl who needs saving" for an attempt at making it deep.

Not only that, why the fuck would you have the entire plot of the series revolve around that but NOT have the murderer be someone important?
    Meh, it became rather useless knowledge of who the killer was when they out it in almost no time. All the kid had to do was chill with Kayo day in and day out to save her.

Truthfully speaking, the only reason this is anime of the season material is because how emotionally packed the series is. Obviously the overall writing of it is very weak, but the way it's delivered on a weekly basis is done amazingly. Would I call this outstanding? Not really. It looks good, it sounds good. Compared to everything else this season, it's a good contestant for AOTS.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Yep, none were really there. I think the only "repercussion" they could even hint at is that he doesn't know where/who is going to have something bad happen to them, or that he himself could become injured. Again, not really a downside or even a mechanic as it's character based.
    The problem as far as story is concerned is what I mentioned earlier, if you don't know the mechanics it's just there for convenience sake. Often it is though, as you see it happen when he "needs to finish the mission".

That's the thing, even if he is living in a simulation or it's some higher power guiding him, it's not a great idea to constantly give him "you need to do this" as it makes his approach to the situation simple-minded and as a reader it's hard for me to care about the mission because if I just take out the time power I'm saying, "the author then said directly to the character by breaking the fourth wall 'Do this' and then the character did it".

Agree'd. The issue with the parents abusing Kayo is that, anyone off the bat would believe that the parents killed her. So when they're not blamed, even after the supposed Child Custody services had visited them, there are only two people you can accuse at that point..And gee, I wonder who is the most obvious.
    The more pressing point is establishing psychotic evil. When you do this in a murder mystery it makes the answer to the question absolutely pointless.

Who cares who killed the girl? It could be literally any of them and as the reader i'm not surprised because psychopathic "evil for the sake of evil" exist in this world.
    (I never really suspected the mother. I doubt the author would ever go into a realistic scenario of abuse-to-death due to just how the manga looks).

I'd call it more of a coincidence that his mom was murdered because of the events 18 years ago. It's another "push the plot" button that doesn't really explain itself in any outstanding way.
    Coincidence for convenience.

"Hey I'm the killer."
    "Hey you're gonna get drowned now."

I think most killers would probably attempt this given the circumstances.. Him getting amnesia just further pisses me off at the end. Kayo fucks his friend, and then he doesn't remember Airi? If we were to define the word "cucked" on any website, this is the definition.

You know they gave away who the killer was in the OP, right? He's literally on the broken glass holding a gun. They don't attempt to hide it at all. I think if anything their goal with this series was to make it romantic, but throw in a "depressed girl who needs saving" for an attempt at making it deep.
    The killer introducing himself isn't a problem.

The killer then padding out the story with coma/amnesia given the person can time travel is.

Again, this is just convenience. Why didn't the MC just time travel to the origin again? Why didn't he just time travel 5 minutes back?

Because the mechanic is convenient for plot when it needs to be.

As for being romantic: The girl who leapt through time. There. Better story, characters, mechanic. The whole shibang. Done.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

Takatsuki (01-24-2016)

Thanks
    I haven't slept yet, so sorry if I sound a bit repetitive or just absolutely fucking retarded.

Who cares who killed the girl? It could be literally any of them and as the reader i'm not surprised because psychopathic "evil for the sake of evil" exist in this world.
    (I never really suspected the mother. I doubt the author would ever go into a realistic scenario of abuse-to-death due to just how the manga looks).
    As a reader I never really suspected the mother either. My first guess was the teacher, followed by the cops friend. Oh, wait...that's literally the only two male adults that are introduced throughout the series in their respective order.

I'm starting to see where you're getting at with this.

Again, this is just convenience. Why didn't the MC just time travel to the origin again? Why didn't he just time travel 5 minutes back?

Because the mechanic is convenient for plot when it needs to be.

As for being romantic: The girl who leapt through time. There. Better story, characters, mechanic. The whole shibang. Done.
    No need to time travel back when your mission is accomplished. Kayo is saved, story is done. The manga only has 3 more chapters. Also, was he ever allowed to time travel when his life was on the line? It was always someone elses as far I recall.

>The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Yeah, it's a lot better. I'm just speaking for this season. Nothing else really stands out other than Dagashi Kashi and that's just because the discussions are extremely fun.