Thread: Where to begin

Thanks

Where to begin

Something I want to do is learn how to code specifically for realm servers because I want to add my own stuff and I don't want to have to rely on a tutorial all the time either. So my question is, what are some things I need to learn in order to code in most realm servers? It would also be nice to point to specific topics in stuff that is used to code realm servers so that I can know what to look for when coding in realm servers... please answer and thank you

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    For making content (Dungeons/Items) on a RotMG private server, only C# syntax and behavior scripting is required to know I'm pretty sure. Since a source such as Fabiano Swagger of Doom or Seraph's Dominion already has the base code already coded, all you need to do is add content. I would start by watching/reading a tutorial at least once. I recommend on reading/watching tutorials in this order: items, maps, and dungeons. Maps and dungeons are probably going to be on the same tutorial though. If you just want 1 map for your dungeon, you are able to just create a map in the map editor. The hardest/most entertaining part is writing the behaviors for your enemies. There really isn't much of a tutorial on this other than looking at the different behaviors on the source. FSoD has the most advanced behavior logic for public servers I'm pretty sure. Just go to the Tutorials/Source Code sub-forum for the tutorials, they shouldn't be too hard to find. Most tutorials are labeled: [AS3], [FSOD], or [SD]. When you see a thread with the label [AS3], 90% chance it will work with Seraph's Dominion.

Summary: If you want only content, download Fabiano Swagger of Doom (download is in ossimc82's release thread or ******) or if you want to learn how to code in C# and AS3, download Seraph's Dominion.
    Last edited by OmegaBM; 05-26-2016 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks
    Well I'm not only wanting to learn content... But if I want to learn how to code, can't I do it in the club559 client? I say that because it's the only one I could actually set up successfully and I don't want to spend another few days trying to set up a server... and what kind of coding does club559 source use? Also, would it be a good idea to learn mysql too?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    You don't even need to know how to code.
    There Are so many tutorials on mpgh...
    Just learn the basics.
    Item adding
    Dungeon adding
    And Dungeon behavior coding.
    Most bugs fixes are Posted here so its just copy paste.
    Your server will be playeD if you add custom stuff and not just releasing the unchanged source

MPGH Member Level 1 May 2014
    MPGH Donator May 2015
    MPGH Premium Member December 2015
    MPGH News Force Interviewer July 2016 - October 2017
    MPGH Member Level 2 August 2016
    MPGH Premium Seller March 2017
    MPGH Dave's Ballsack Rag - Unknown
    MPGH Realm of the Mad God Minion December 2017 - December 2018

Thanks
    I don't want to be rude but I said in my post that I don't want to rely on tutorials to add my own things.. and I don't want to only add dungeons + items, I also want to try adding some of my own ideas. If I keep copy-pasting then I'm not learning anything and I want to be able to do my own things... I even want to try coding items and dungeons myself because if I just copy-paste I won't really learn how to actually make those things and I'll be lost if I want to make more advanced dungeons and items

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricalZats View Post
    Well I'm not only wanting to learn content... But if I want to learn how to code, can't I do it in the club559 client? I say that because it's the only one I could actually set up successfully and I don't want to spend another few days trying to set up a server... and what kind of coding does club559 source use? Also, would it be a good idea to learn mysql too?
    MMOE aka Club559's source is written in C#. Most server sided coding for all sources is written in C#. With FSOD and MMOE you cannot edit the client unless you know bytecode (which many people don't, including myself). However you can convert the AS3 client to be functional with MMOE with somewhat knowledge in AS3 and C#. I believe @Nobody77 has a MMOE source with an AS3 client connected to it on his ******. I would just use Seraph's Dominion though because the server is a lot more stable and smoother than the old MMOE source. About the MySQL part, it will only be necessary to learn it if you plan on editing the database/adding stuff to the database which isn't very important if you are just starting.
    Last edited by OmegaBM; 05-26-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    Okay thank you

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Tbh you don't even need to know how to code to run a good server, the rotmg pserver community just focuses on items and dungeons now which is all just copy pasting other items/dungeons and changing words, people stopped asking for unique/cool features once the prod-like FSoD source was released since it had everything done.