Hybrid View

Thanks
    My Mood
    Shocked

[NEWS] What game developers are saying about No Man's Sky

[IMG]https://www.gamasutr*****m/db_area/images/news/2016/Aug/279284/NMSdevreax630.jpg[/IMG]

It seems like all of gamedom is buzzing about No Man's Sky. It's had the most successful Steam launch of the year, and it's inspired almost as many think pieces as there are planets in its vast procedurally generated galaxy.

Reviews have been mixed, ranging from rapturous awe to bored frustration. But we wanted to get a read on what people in the industry are saying about the game. So we emailed some developers, and scanned Twitter for reactions from design luminaries.

Samantha Kalman, director of Timbre Interactive (Sentris), had a succinct response. "I think it's a profound achievement in scope and scale," she told us. What do other devs think about No Man's Sky? What are the doing in the game? How would they categorize it? What do they think about its mechanics?

Alexis Kennedy, a founder of Failbetter who was creative director on Sunless Sea and Dragon Age: The Last Court, let's us know that he's enjoying No Man's Sky, and attempted to describe its unique environments: "Imagine an alternate universe where Star Trek had had no plot or characters, just a different colored planet with different shaped rocks and new animatronic puppets each week; but Nicolas Roeg directed, and Jim Henson had done the puppets. I'd watch at least a few episodes of that."

[IMG]https://www.gamasutr*****m/db_area/images/news/279284/NMS222.jpg[/IMG]

The game has many developers thinking about the possibilities and the challenges of such an ambitious use of procedural generation. "My initial experience is that I spent my first 2-3 hours of the game wandering around the starting planet searching for zinc, and it turned out to be pretty elusive," says Joseph Humfrey, co-founder of Inkle Studios. "The hostile and rather barren planet I started on definitely felt more like a No Man’s Land."

"It made me wonder how difficult it must’ve been to balance the gameplay when every player’s experience can be radically different," Humfrey adds. "How do they ensure that every player’s initial tutorial ramp is gentle yet distinct? On 80 Days we had a comparatively trivial layer of procedural generation in the distribution of the markets and the pricing of the journeys, and even for us, it was extraordinarily difficult to balance without overriding elements by hand. My takeaway is that procedural generation may be powerful for world building, but you should be incredibly careful when it impacts gameplay."

Bennett Foddy, designer of QWOP, Sportsfriends, and GIRP, took to Twitter to comment on the national characteristics he perceived in the design of the game. "No Man’s Sky is essentially European, echoing Elite, Mercenary, and Captain Blood," he writes. "If you’re expecting Wing Commander you’ll be disappointed. In the context of the prior games in the genre, it’s nice! But the style of the genre is ‘empty space,' letting your brain fill in a lot."

"English devs in particular have a long history of making expansive space exploration games," notes Foddy. "Not just Elite but Damocles, Starglider, etc. (It’s surely no coincidence that the pre-eminent American designer of these games, Chris Roberts, grew up in England.) The design is: ‘here’s an infinite procedural world. I hid a game in here, see if you can find it’—Daggerfall, Mercenary, Elite and No Man's Sky.

Foddy stresses that this critique is not meant to be dismissive. "I think that’s kind of cool," he says. "Treasure hunts are under-represented as a basic model of game design."

[IMG]https://www.gamasutr*****m/db_area/images/news/279284/NMS333.jpg[/IMG]

We heard conflicting reactions from devs on the morality and ideology embedded in the game's mechanics.

"I felt surprisingly guilty harvesting resources from a pristine landscape, especially since it involved shooting them," Robin Hunicke, co-founder of Funomena and producer of Journey, tells us. "When I realized the Sentinels were drawn to me based on the rate of my pillaging -- I felt like the designers had done something good. I like the idea of games moving away from the idea that you can take anything you want from a place (or its people) to survive."

But Walt Williams, a writer and narrative designer on games like Spec Ops: The Line and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!, had a decidedly different take. "No Man's Sky is a beautiful game undercut by bleak, expansionist mechanics," he wrote in a recent tweetstorm. "A whole universe of 'what can I discover and how much $$$ will it earn me?' It's Independence Day from the aliens' POV. Like locusts, moving from planet to planet, you consume every resource and then move on."

"What's sad is despite all our ingenuity, so many of our mechanics reinforce ideas and behaviors we know to be harmful," Williams adds. "We're capable of creating endless numbers of worlds and species, but we can't think of new things to do with them."

"Humanity has reached its peak," he concludes. "There are no new ideas; only technological upgrades. In summary: beautiful graphics, seamless travel from ground to space, easily 50+ hours of gameplay. 10 out of 10."

Source : Gamasutra. com
    Last edited by solid47snake; 08-16-2016 at 02:09 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    Vouches :
    Quote Originally Posted by shaheet View Post
    Vouch for this dude!

Polite and respectful; answered all my questions without any hesitations.
    He is as legit as they come
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I bought the MGS:TPP code after all this and went first, this guy is trustworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullquick View Post
    +1 vouch for this guy! I got the payment with no trouble at all!

Thanks
    On reddit they posted a thing that was quotes of Sean saying things we would get in the game and we didnt. Its fucking insane the amount of things they left out and lied about

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    I am torrenting it tommorow and will see how it goes
    Previous Names

Zavior
    Xavier
    Eternity
    Azathoth
    Eternity (again)
    Add me on IM

Please press +Rep or Thanks if you find my work or found something I said helpful

"Endless Void."

Thanks
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternity View Post
    I am torrenting it tommorow and will see how it goes
    don't even waste your time

Thanks
    My Mood
    Paranoid
    I will buy the game just for the hell of it, I like it

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    I got it for my PS4 and see how I go. Haven't played it yet.

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think"
    Premium Seller
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    From video that was showed last time, looks boring. But I'll just G2A refund or something.
    Pʟᴇᴀsᴇ ᴘʀᴇss +Rᴇᴘ ᴀɴᴅ/ᴏʀ Tʜᴀɴᴋs ɪғ I ᴀssɪsᴛᴇᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴏʀ ᴡᴀs ᴏғ sᴇʀᴠɪᴄᴇ ɪɴ ᴀɴʏ ᴡᴀʏ.

╭━━━━━━━━━━━━━━•━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╮
    Vᴏᴜᴄʜᴇs
    Lᴇᴀɢᴜᴇ ᴏғ Lᴇɢᴇɴᴅs NA Gɪғᴛɪɴɢ Sᴇʀᴠɪᴄᴇ
    US Dᴏᴍɪɴᴏ's Pɪᴢᴢᴀs

╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━━•━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯

Thanks
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    one of the biggest problems is the price. 60 bucks? thats AAA titles! this game is complete shit filled with bugs and performance issues, gameplay is somewhat intriguing though but I dont think anyone would want to shoot lasers at rocks for hours

Thanks
    My Mood
    Shocked
    Quote Originally Posted by shaun279 View Post
    one of the biggest problems is the price. 60 bucks? thats AAA titles! this game is complete shit filled with bugs and performance issues, gameplay is somewhat intriguing though but I dont think anyone would want to shoot lasers at rocks for hours
    Quote Originally Posted by High View Post

don't even waste your time
    I agree with you about the bad performance , i tried it myself and i was running it on Gtx 960m , tbh it was a terrible experience but i dunno , others find it good . In my opinion NMS Makers should be sued for Promoting "Multiplayer compatible" Just to get More money from pre-order , I was only hyped for exploring the planets with friends .
    Last edited by solid47snake; 08-17-2016 at 01:35 AM. Reason: typo
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    Vouches :
    Quote Originally Posted by shaheet View Post
    Vouch for this dude!

Polite and respectful; answered all my questions without any hesitations.
    He is as legit as they come
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I bought the MGS:TPP code after all this and went first, this guy is trustworthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullquick View Post
    +1 vouch for this guy! I got the payment with no trouble at all!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty
    buying this game soon