Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/call of duty modern warfare 2/
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful

Exclamation Infinity Ward VS Activision?

Maybe some of you guys know already, but IW and Activision were in a fight.
    I don't know much about it but it seems it's going very far.

This is all the information I've been able to get :

A source close to the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 developer just inf0rmed me that a “bunch of bouncer-types” just showed up outside of the Infinity Ward offices unannounced. When approached by employees, the non-uniformed “bouncers” were unwilling to disclose why they were there.

“Everyone is on edge,” said my source.

Infinity Ward studio heads Vince Zampella and Jason West reportedly met with Activision this morning and have not been seen by Infinity Ward staff members since. My source did not delve into specifics, but described the relationship between Infinity Ward and Activision lately as “tense.”

The mood around the Infinity Ward offices is currently described as “freaked out” and “confused.”

“We just wanna make our games,” said my source.

I’ve contacted Activision for comment on the ongoing situation at Infinity Ward. Stay tuned.

UPDATE 10:07 PM:

More developments on the situation at Infinity Ward have come to light.

A screen shot surfaced from Infinity Ward CTO Jason West’s Facebook page at Kotaku with the status update “Jason West is drinking. Also, unemployed.” I can confirm from a source that’s friends with West that update did actually come from West’s account.

West also updated his Linkedin profile to appears to reflect a change in employment.

“President/Game Director/CCO/CTO Infinity Ward
    January 2001 – March 2010 (9 years 3 months)”

While this doesn’t yet provide much insight into what actually happened at Infinity Ward, it confirms there are changes afoot at the Call of Duty developer. As soon as I know more, you’ll know more.

UPDATE 11:11 PM:

Infinity Ward community manager Robert Bowling has vaguely addressed the situation.

“I should also say, while I appreciate all the calls, tweets, messages and hearing my ringtone a lot,” said Bowling on his Twitter account, “they’re in vain – as I have no info.”

UPDATE 11:20 PM:

It turns out Activision may have showed their hand in this matter earlier today.

In an SEC filing made this morning, Activision cited a human resources investigation into “breaches of contract and insubordination by two senior employees at Infinity Ward.”

Based on the information we currently have, at least one of those employees may have included Infinity Ward CTO Jason West. It’s possible Vince Zampella is the other unmentioned employee.

“This matter is expected to involve the departure of key personnel and litigation,” read the filing. “At present, the Company does not expect this matter to have a material impact on the Company.”

UPDATE 12:02 AM:

Double Fine’s Tim Schafer, who had his own troubles with Activision over the release of Brutal Legend, recently commented on Twitter about what’s happening between Infinity Ward and Activision.

“Getting mad at Activision for this kind of thing is like getting mad at an ape for throwing feces,” said Schafer. “It’s just how the beast communicates.”

And just now, on YouTube some user said : Infinity Ward broke their contract with Activision so there won't be a MW3. That sounds great lol. Nah I want to kill Makarov!

Also, funny thing this stuff happened right before/during the release of BattleField Bad Company 2, the obvious better one.

Update from Koeninatorrr :

From a Dutch Gaming Website, I'll Copypaste and translate :

Dutch :

Activision gaat de Call of Duty-reeks uitbreiden naar nieuwe genres, uitbrengen in nieuwe regio's en zich nog meer richten op digitale content. Daarnaast gaat ook de studio Sledgehammer Games aan Call of Duty werken.

Dit najaar moet de nieuwe Call of Duty van ontwikkelaar Treyarch verschijnen. Treyarch maakte eerder Call of Duty 3 en Call of Duty: World at War. In 2011 verschijnt er wederom een nieuwe Call of Duty, al is het nog niet bekend welke studio die game maakt. Daarnaast werkt Sledgehammer Games, de studio die is opgericht door voormalige werknemers van Electronic Arts Glen Schofield en Michael Condrey, aan een game die de Call of Duty-reeks naar het actie adventure-genre moet gaan brengen. Activision meldt dat het nieuwe wegen in wil slaan met de franchise, zoals hoogstaande digitale content voor de serie, nieuwe regio's waar de serie uit moet komen (waaronder Azië), nieuwe genres en nieuwe digitale zakenmodellen.

Infinity Ward

Gisteren werd bekend dat Jason West en Vince Zampella, de oprichters van Infinity Ward, na een vergadering met Activision Blizzard waren ontslagen. Infinity Ward is verantwoordelijk voor de eerste twee Call of Duty-games, waarna het met Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare een nieuwe weg insloeg: de serie draaide voor het eerst om moderne oorlogsvoering. In 2009 kwam Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 uit, dat veel verkooprecords brak. Activision vermeldt niet welke positie Infinity Ward in zijn nieuwe strategie voor de Call of Duty-serie in gaat nemen.

English :

Activision is going to expand the Call of Duty Franchise to new genres, release in new regions and focus more on Downloadable/Digital Content. Also, the studio Sledgehammer Games will be working on Call of Duty games.

This autumn the new Call of Duty from developer Treyarch should be making its appearance. They made both Call of Duty 3 and Call of Duty World At War Before. In 2011 there will be a new Call of Duty, although for now it's unknown who will make this. Also, Sledgehammer Games, the developing studio that has been founded by old employees from Electronic Arts Michael Condrey and Glen Schofield, are working on a Call of Duty title with the Action/Adventure genre. Activision then goes on to say that they want to move in new directions with the franchise, like digital content for the series, new regions where the games should be released (i.e. Asia), new genres and new digital businessmodels.

Infinity Ward :

Yesterday the news leaked out about Jason West and Vince Zampella, the founders of Infinity Ward, were fired after a meeting with Activision Blizzard. Infinity Ward is responsible for the first two Call of Duty Games, whereafter Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare made a change to the franchise by going into the current timezone, which differs from all the WWII timezones from the previous Call of Duty. In 2009 Infinity Ward released Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2, which broke alot of salesrecords. Activision will not annouce what role Infinity Ward in their new strategy of their Call of Duty Franchise will be.

Translated by hand, hope ya guys can understand it.

This has been submitted by toobanooba, he got it from somewhere :

New 'Call Of Duty' Coming In 2011 From 'Dead Space' Devs- title
    There's a lot going on in the world of "Call of Duty" today. Earlier, in a shocking turn of events, the two studio heads of Infinity Ward were dismissed by Activision, and it's likely to be related to the news that's been released today, dealing with the future of the "Call of Duty" franchise.

Activision announced today that, in addition to two "Modern Warfare 2" map packs and a full retail release from Treyarch later this year, there will be another "Call of Duty" franchise coming in 2011, and it won't be developed by Infinity Ward.

Sledgehammer Games, formed by former members of EA's "Dead Space" development team, will be helming a new "Call of Duty" game, which is said to bring the franchise into the action-adventure genre. That sounds like marketing speak for 3rd person shooter (ala "Splinter Cell"), but that's just me speculating.

Worth noting that this doesn't rule out the possibility of "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3" coming in 2011, and that it's still possible that Infinity Ward will develop that title, but given the recent shake-up over there, it's doubtful we'll be seeing the return of Soap McTavish anytime soon.

In addition to the new game announcement, Activision has started a new business group to handle all "Call of Duty"-related franchises under one roof, in an effort to protect what has become a very lucrative franchise for the company.

NEW UPDATE 4-3-2010 :

Dutch :

Oprichters Infinity Ward Klagen Activision Aan :

Jason West en Vince Zampella, oprichters van ontwikkelstudio Infinity Ward, hebben Activision aangeklaagd nadat ze afgelopen maandag door de uitgever op straat zijn gezet. De voormalig topmannen beweren dat Activision ze onterecht heeft ontslagen, dat bepaalde royalties niet zijn betaald en dat de uitgever onrechtmatig controle heeft genomen over de Call of Duty-franchise.

"We zijn geschokt door Activision's besluit om ons contract te beïndigen", zegt West in een verklaring. "We hebben ons met hart en ziel in dat bedrijf gestort, en hebben daarmee niet alleen een ontwikkelstudio van wereldklasse opgebouwd, maar ook een team samengesteld waarmee we bijna een decennium trots hebben samengewerkt. We denken dat het werk dat we hebben gedaan voor zich spreekt." Daarmee doelt West op de games die de studio heeft gemaakt, de eerste twee Call of Duty-delen, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare en Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

In de aanklacht staat dat toen Activision Infinity Ward overkocht, ze de rechten van de Modern Warfare-franchsie in handen van Infinity Ward zouden laten. De hoofdaanklacht is dus contractbreuk van Activision door het niet betalen van compensaties en het overnemen van de Modern Warfare-franchise. Met het overnemen van de franchise kan gedoeld worden op de plannen die Activision heeft met het Call of Duty-merk. De uitgever wil de franchise onder andere uitbreiden naar nieuwe genres.

Insubordinatie

Zampella en West zouden zijn ontslagen wegens insubordinatie en het breken van contractuele afspraken.Dit is ook de reden dat Activision geen royalties over Modern Warfare 2 betaalt, zoals dit in het contract beschreven stond. "Na alles dat we Activision hebben gegeven, zouden we ze niet moeten hoeven aanklagen om betaald te worden", zegt Zampella. Infinity Ward geldt als één van de meest succesvolle studio's ooit. Modern Warfare 2 heeft vlak na release in november 2009 de titel gepakt van snelstverkopende game ooit en heeft inmiddels meer dan een miljard dollar opgeleverd.

English :

Founders Infinity Ward sue Activision

Jason West and Vince Zampella, founders from developing studio Infinity Ward, have sued Activision after they got fired past monday. The previous topmen say that Activision fired them undeserved, a few royalties have not been paid and the Developer having taken the Call of Duty Franchise unlawfully from them.

"We are shocked that Activision decided to put a stop to our contract", West said in a declaration. "We put our heart and soul into this company, and by doing that we didn't only build a developing studio of world class, but also established a team whom we worked with succesfully and proudly within nearly the past decade. We think the work we did speaks for itself". Of course, West hints on the games the studio has worked on, the first two Call of Duty parts, Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

In the charge it said, when Activision bought Infinity Ward, there was an agreement that Activision would let the Call of Duty franchise in Infinity Ward's hands, and let it be in these hands. The main charge therefore is, Activision broke their contract by not paying for compensations and taking over the Call of Duty Franchise. By taking over the franchise there might be hinted to the new plans Activision has for Call of Duty (read above for more on that).

Insubordination

Zampella and West would have been fired because of insubordination and breaking the rules of the contract. This is also the reason why Activision does not pay the royalties on Modern Warfare 2, as it was described in the contract. "After all we have given Activision, we shouldn't be sueing them for being payed", Zampella says. Infinity Ward counts to one of the most succesful developers ever. Modern Warfare 2 has taken the title of the most selling game ever in 2009, and has currently raised more than one billion dollars.

Anyways, give your opinion, if this is a not-allowed post, tell me.

Koen
    Last edited by koeninatorrrr; 03-04-2010 at 02:16 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to koeninatorrrr For This Useful Post:

lars08 (03-04-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Daring
    Awesome Post Koen. It was an interesting read. Will you update?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    Yes I will, but I don't know if there will be any more info leaked out. I am going to sleep now too, I have a 3 day limited of editing your post, I guess, so I'll post all information in these days.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    This is freaky...
    Let's hope IW will be around to develop MW3...
    Activision seems to slack with games. They get them on the market fast, wait maybe two years and if they are not "successful" they'll end up dumped, patches and support go down the drain. Just look what happened to RA3.

Oh well, cant wait to get my hands on Bad Company 2!
    "I'll either find a way or make one"-Hannibal

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    I updated it with a bit more information on the future of Call of Duty.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bitchy
    Bad Company 2 Beta was complete shit, a clip to kill somebody? After running around the map looking for them for an hour. (off-topic but w/e) and regarding this, i hope IW doesn't make any more CoD games after the fucking disgrace that was IWnet, maybe Treyarch will do a better job.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    I'm sure TreyArch will do a strike on IW by putting up Dedicated Servers, it's something I'll gladly support.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    They better god dammit make a MW3 or us MW2 fanboys shall trash their houses.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Activision is now in the same team with sledgehammer games, the creators of Dead Space. From what i read, there will be a different genre of MW coming in 2011, but they're trying to make it by the end of this year. The genre will be Adventure, which will sucks balls

I guess the Modern Warfare series are coming to an end
    [IMG]https://i536.photobucke*****m/albums/ff321/airways92/mybanners.gif[/IMG]

EMPTY SPACE??
    YAY ! LVL 10!

CLICK MEE!!

Monkey! Please!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Doubtful
    I already posted that :P

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Naw naw. Activision assasinates the entire IW board, replaces them with tech geeks who love dedicated servers, who immediately release dedicated servers patch for us
    [IMG]https://i564.photobucke*****m/albums/ss89/JRendell21/Graphics/Flow-Signature.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks
    I wonder if this is because Activision is getting flooded with support tickets about bans. Maybe Activision isn't too happy that their customers are getting banned by the hundreds every day.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiTT View Post
    I wonder if this is because Activision is getting flooded with support tickets about bans. Maybe Activision isn't too happy that their customers are getting banned by the hundreds every day.
    lol. as i said, it was corporate assasination

mob-like killing while they were in meeting room, God-Father style.
    [IMG]https://i564.photobucke*****m/albums/ss89/JRendell21/Graphics/Flow-Signature.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks
    My Mood
    Daring
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluthera View Post
    Naw naw. Activision assasinates the entire IW board, replaces them with tech geeks who love dedicated servers, who immediately release dedicated servers patch for us

Quote Originally Posted by Bluthera View Post
    lol. as i said, it was corporate assasination

mob-like killing while they were in meeting room, God-Father style.
    ^ Epic Win and ROFLMAO.

In your closet that your neighbors stole from you -.-
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Yea i heard about this from my friend, but he just said that Activision just fired them.
    (X) Doing Nothing
    ( ) 999 posts

You know you want to click it

Free Aimbot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast