Thanks

What Should I Change? What Should I Upgrade?

Hey everyone McLovinSquad here, so I was wondering what I should upgrade/do to my current PC... It isn't something fancy or anything like that, but I feel its time to upgrade once again. I don't play a lot of computer games, besides Minecraft, LoL, 7 days to die, and maybe a couple others. But they aren't really demanding.. What I am looking for is faster boot/load time. Software opens faster. When I click something I want it to open like that. I just want some suggestions on what I should get. I will post my specs below, and you tell me what parts you think i should get.

I am currently running a DDR2 system and am willing to go to a DDR3. SOOO if you recommend any parts please link them here to me.

--Specs--

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    Kentsfield 65nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0R038D (Socket 775)
    Graphics
    NS-39L240A13 (1920x1080@60Hz) (I might want to run these in SLI)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 (EVGA)
    Storage
    465GB Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 (SATA)
    Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected (I NEVER USE THESE, SO DON'T BOTHER SUGGESTING ONE)
    Audio
    High Definition Audio Device

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    I would just recommend doing a new budget build. It is extremely difficult to upgrade your one part of your PC without upgrading everything else.

Thanks
    Agreed with the above. Maybe wait to see if the Ryzen 3 has any good reviews/mobo's?

At the same time, would you like your computer to last a few years or several more years? Depends on how much you would want to drop on your computer to do so. I am running an AMD 8350, which still has a few years on it, but I would like to upgrade to the Ryzen for more workstation/power.

(Logically, I shouldn't upgrade since I don't really do too many other things that would warrant the upgrade.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kj1234 View Post
    I would just recommend doing a new budget build. It is extremely difficult to upgrade your one part of your PC without upgrading everything else.
    Im keeping my case and some things inside. I am willing to change the cpu, mobo, ram, etc to make it a ddr3 system. I just don't know what parts or where i should get them from.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovinSquad View Post
    Im keeping my case and some things inside. I am willing to change the cpu, mobo, ram, etc to make it a ddr3 system. I just don't know what parts or where i should get them from.
    What is your budget so we know how much to work with?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by majicaster2 View Post
    What is your budget so we know how much to work with?
    Budget Doesn't matter. I mean I don't wanna spend 1k on just mobo, cpu, and ram. Just something that will play my games but load everything fast and be a fast computer.

This is what I need
    • CPU (I don't need a I7 for what I do.)
    • Motherboard (DDR3)
    • RAM
    • SSD
    • HDD

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Budget Doesn't matter. I mean I don't wanna spend 1k on just mobo, cpu, and ram. Just something that will play my games but load everything fast and be a fast computer.

This is what I need
    • CPU (I don't need a I7 for what I do.)
    • Motherboard (DDR3)
    • RAM
    • SSD
    • HDD
    Why do you insist on DDR3?

Thanks
    Why do you insist on DDR3?
    What else is there to go to??... DDR4?? Nah that is trash to me... I don't want it... So what else is there to really go to...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    What else is there to go to??... DDR4?? Nah that is trash to me... I don't want it... So what else is there to really go to...
    Care to explain why DDR4 is trash to you lol

Thanks
    Probably the price, RAM pricing is currently fucked.

Probably could go for like a Ryzen 1600 build with an RX 480/580. Planning on upgrading to Ryzen when I make some money

Thanks
    The price is completely fucked! I'm not paying around $100 for 8gb of ram... I want DDR3 end of discussion.

Thanks
    No one has mentioned it, I don't know why, but upgrading all these things mentioned wouldn't affect load times of programs and your system. What you need for that is an SSD for your OS. That will change your boot time from around 30 seconds to under 10 and any programs stored on the SSD, e.g. Chrome, will instantly load when you click it. A SSD for your system can turn a very slow old laptop, into something that will be just as snappy loading programs, and starting up as a brand new laptop, while it won't get you much more gaming performance, you stated that isn't important for you.

They really have come down in price now, you can get a 120GB one, which will be more than enough for your OS, any programs, and a priority game to be on it, for about £50.

Anyways cheers for reading and good luck.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan01803 For This Useful Post:

Groot_69 (05-06-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan01803 View Post
    No one has mentioned it, I don't know why, but upgrading all these things mentioned wouldn't affect load times of programs and your system.
    I mean, he did mention it in the portion about what parts he wanted. However, what he stated is correct.

You're running an HDD. When I upgraded to an SSD and put my OS on that, my boot time was cut down to 1/3 the amount of time (2/3 time reduction).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU Options:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Intel-BX806...keywords=g4560

Great value-for-cost budget CPU. Top ranked by PassMark for Intel. It has pretty high single thread rating in comparison to other AMD things. This CPU would be suitable for gaming purposes; however, it wouldn't be ideal for more workstation-y stuff.

https://smile.amazon.com/AMD-FD8350F...&keywords=8350

Great value-for-cost budget CPU. Top ranked by PassMark for AMD and has a higher single thread when comparing AMD items. This CPU would be good for workstation-y stuff. I know this would be good for Minecraft as well since that's high CPU usage due to Java. This CPU is also an older CPU with a high TDP so watch out for that. If you want, feel free to go with the 6300 as well. Your choice.

MOBO

I can't really recommend one without knowing what case you have. Do you have an ITX? Mini-ITX? It would also be helpful if you were to tell me if you would prefer an AMD or an Intel build.

RAM

https://smile.amazon.com/G-SKILL-F3-...s=gskills+2133

https://smile.amazon.com/Kingston-Hy...on+hyperx+fury

RAM isn't too much of a big deal in my opinion. If you want to read up on the, feel free. I personally mainly try to keep it on the reputable side and check out reviews.

SSD

https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5...ywords=850+evo

I would just go with the Samsung 850 Pro. It'll get what you want done and it had one of the highest read/write speeds when I last researched it. This is for the previous generation equipment. I don't think you want a 960 Pro. Not sure how big you want it.

HDD

There are several makers which are reputable. Western Digital, Seagate, and Hitachi.

I have only had a WD HDD. Nothing bad so far. Runs well. I am not well read on the market for HDD's. You might be better off asking another person. However, if you want the WD, get either a Blue or a Black. (Black > Blue > Green (Energy Efficient) > All Else)
    Last edited by AEDRHBEYHEHhnj; 05-06-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Changed links to smile.amazon due to censor

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AEDRHBEYHEHhnj For This Useful Post:

Groot_69 (05-06-2017)