Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty

Post [Tutorial] Allura's Guide To Bitcoin Wallets & Types of Wallets On The Market

This post is just a quick guide for everyone about the Bitcoin Wallets and the type of wallets on the market. As well as how to be the safest with your money.

Online/Web Wallets
    Online/Web Wallets are wallets that can be accessed from anywhere, as long as you have internet.

Security: Low
    Accessibility: High

Blockchain.info
    • Support coin/s: Bitcoin, Ethereum & soon Bitcoin Cash
    • Pros: Has lots of security functions, convert Bitcoin to Ethereum easily, doesn't require any personal ID verification.
    • Cons: Conversion fees are terrible
    • Private Key/Recovery Phrase: Yes
    • End Notes: I highly recommend this wallet if you want to go with an online/web wallet

Coinbase
    • Support coin/s: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin & soon Bitcoin Cash
    • Pros: Buy and sell Bitcoin (after ID verification)
    • Cons: Terrible customer support, known for locking wallets, don't give you full control of you wallet (recovery phrase)
    • Private Key/Recovery Phrase: No
    • End Notes: Wouldn't recommend this wallet. Only good for buying Bitcoin safely and then transferring it to your main wallet.

Desktop Wallets
    Desktop wallets have your data stored on your computer. Therefore, if your computer got hacked, your funds may be hacked/stolen too. Essentially you are your own bank when it comes to Desktop wallets.

Security: Low - Medium

Exodus
    • Support coin/s: Aragon, Augur, Bitcoin, Decred, Dash, EOS, Ethereum, Gnosis, Golem, Litecoin and OmiseGo
    • Pros: Build in exchange (exchange one type of coin to another)
    • Cons: Doesn't have 2 Factor Authentication
    • End Notes: One of the better Desktop Wallets due to all coin support but no good security features, so I wouldn't recommend storing large amounts of money on here.

Electrum
    • Support coin/s: Bitcoin
    • Pros: Cold storage feature (can store a wallet offline on a USB), has 2 Factor Authentication (but for an extra fee)
    • Cons: Only supports bitcoin
    • End Notes: One of the better desktop wallets to store bitcoin due to its security

Hardware Wallets
    Hardware wallets are by far one of the most safest types of wallet. You have a physical piece of hardware which stores all your data on. To access your funds you must have the physical item on hand. These are great for people holding large amounts of coin.

Security: High
    Accessibility: High - Medium

Trezor
    • Support coin/s: Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dash, Zcash, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, ERC-20 Tokens
    • Pros: Multiple coin support, extremely fast support, 2 Factor authentication, extremely secure
    • Cons: None (in my opinion), some may say it is hard to access coins, but its takes almost the same amount of time to access as a web wallet.
    • Cost: €89
    • End Notes: Fantastic wallet, depends on your budget and coins you want support for

Ledger Nano S
    • Support coin/s: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Fido U2F, Dodgecoin, Zcash, Dash, Stratis, Ripple & Bitcoin Cash
    • Pros: Multiple coin support, extremely fast support, 2 Factor authentication, extremely secure
    • Cons: None (in my opinion), some may say it is hard to access coins, but its takes almost the same amount of time to access as a web wallet.
    • Cost: €58
    • End Notes: Fantastic wallet, depends on your budget and coins you want support for

Paper Wallet
    • Support coin/s: Any
    • Pros: Completely offline (meaning its safe)
    • Cons: Hard to access coins
    • Cost: Free
    • End Notes: Great way to store any coin if you don't plan to use it in the near future

Private Key/Recovery Phrase: Is a key/phrase which enables you to have full control of your wallet. Meaning, if you wanted to change to a different wallet provider or just take your bitcoin off the internet into cold storage (cold storage means store offline), you can. You want to go with a wallet that does provide a private key/recovery phrase. Either a private key or recovery phrase is good. Never give your private key/recovery phrase to anyone!

These are from my experiences and research. These could be wrong, and opinionated
    Last edited by Jim Morrison; 08-29-2017 at 05:44 PM.
    I barely use MPGH IM, Send me a private message to reach me faster!
    Also I currently don't sell anything!

DD/MM/YYYY
    Joined MPGH: 07/02/2017
    Premium: 08/02/2017 - ∞
    Newsforce (HOTW): 07/06/2017 - ∞
    Publicist: 06/11/2017 - 12/04/2018
    Minion (Minecraft): 23/12/2017 - ∞
    Minion (Cryptocurrency Talks): 01/05/2018 - ∞

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Allura For This Useful Post:

Blizzard. (09-15-2017),Daniel:D (01-17-2018),Devil (08-27-2017),doctorpancake (06-24-2018),fromtheshadow (09-24-2017),Gurkensaftig (08-24-2017),jesuisares (11-11-2017),markymalarkey (08-26-2017),mlabgic (08-24-2017),rayssenjellouli (12-16-2017),Señor Vu (09-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks for the guide. I personally use blockchain.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Super useful and insightful review of different wallets. Really useful thanks for making this. I use Electrum myself just because I'd rather use desktop wallets over online.

Threadstarter
    Cryptocurrency
    and
    Minecraft
    Staff

Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Bump 4 visibility

DD/MM/YYYY

Thanks
    awesome guide, thanks

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine
    amazing Tut, thanks ^_^
    “I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that.”

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    great guide deserves more rep/ tHANKS
    EBAY WATCHERS SERVICE, ORIGINAL ONE ON MPGH, BEST SERVICE, PRICE MATCH

ADD ME ON IM, ADD ME ON IM, ADD ME ON IM,

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thanks for the guide

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Allura View Post
    This post is just a quick guide for everyone about the Bitcoin Wallets and the type of wallets on the market. As well as how to be the safest with your money.

Online/Web Wallets
    Online/Web Wallets are wallets that can be accessed from anywhere, as long as you have internet.

Blockchain.info
    • Pros: Has lots of security functions, convert Bitcoin to Ethereum easily, doesn't require any personal ID verification.
    • End Notes: I highly recommend this wallet if you want to go with an online/web wallet

Coinbase
    • Cons: Terrible customer support, known for locking wallets, don't give you full control of you wallet (recovery phrase)
    • End Notes: Wouldn't recommend this wallet. Only good for buying Bitcoin safely and then transferring it to your main wallet.

Desktop Wallets
    Desktop wallets have your data stored on your computer. Therefore, if your computer got hacked, your funds may be hacked/stolen too. Essentially you are your own bank when it comes to Desktop wallets.

Exodus
    • Support coin/s: Aragon, Augur, Bitcoin, Decred, Dash, EOS, Ethereum, Gnosis, Golem, Litecoin and OmiseGo
    • End Notes: One of the better Desktop Wallets due to all coin support but no good security features, so I wouldn't recommend storing large amounts of money on here.

Electrum
    • Pros: Cold storage feature (can store a wallet offline on a USB), has 2 Factor Authentication (but for an extra fee)
    • End Notes: One of the better desktop wallets to store bitcoin due to its security

Hardware Wallets
    Hardware wallets are by far one of the most safest types of wallet. You have a physical piece of hardware which stores all your data on. To access your funds you must have the physical item on hand. These are great for people holding large amounts of coin.

Trezor
    • Support coin/s: Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dash, Zcash, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, ERC-20 Tokens

Ledger Nano S
    • Support coin/s: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Fido U2F, Dodgecoin, Zcash, Dash, Stratis, Ripple & Bitcoin Cash

Paper Wallet
    • End Notes: Great way to store any coin if you don't plan to use it in the near future

Private Key/Recovery Phrase: Is a key/phrase which enables you to have full control of your wallet. Meaning, if you wanted to change to a different wallet provider or just take your bitcoin off the internet into cold storage (cold storage means store offline), you can. You want to go with a wallet that does provide a private key/recovery phrase. Either a private key or recovery phrase is good. Never give your private key/recovery phrase to anyone!

These are from my experiences and research. These could be wrong, and opinionated
    /
    can you make a info guide about the different types of cryptocurrencies and how they function and what are good to invest in and what not to invest in? I'm still new so I want to know more and your wallet guide was really helpful. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allura View Post

Online/Web Wallets

Blockchain.info

Coinbase

Desktop Wallets

Exodus

Electrum

Hardware Wallets

Trezor

Ledger Nano S

Paper Wallet

/
    can you make a info guide about the different types of cryptocurrencies and how they function and what are good to invest in and what not to invest in? I'm still new so I want to know more and your wallet guide was really helpful. Thanks!

Threadstarter
    Cryptocurrency
    and
    Minecraft
    Staff

Former Staff
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Bump for visibility

DD/MM/YYYY

Thanks
    GJ, I think I'll do the same but with ethereum wallets.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Nice tutorial, thanks for your effort to clarify us all about such a matter.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Thanks for the clarification

Thanks
    My Mood
    Confused
    Thanks for the guide, it's very nicely organized

Thanks
    Very useful, thanks for this

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast