Thread: FASM

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Question FASM

I'm loving it, but I want to make sure I'm doing what all the koohl kids are doing so anything I should be concerned about..... Considering you know FASM is alot different from other assemblers.
    What are you guys using...?
    ~

You might be able to sway me to go back to NASM but I digress still because I think it's kinda kikass how FASM is open source and doesn't need a linker.
    "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." John 15:18

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Never tried FASM, ever. I use MASM and NASM. For 16-bit, I use Microsoft's ml.exe and LINK.exe, 16-bit versions.

For the win.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    What a lonely club this is.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    I honestly hate MASM.
    ~

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical
    I personally don't like fasm's syntax.
    I stick with masm32 nowadays and winasm for the IDE.

But it all comes down to what works for you

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by B1ackAnge1 View Post
    I personally don't like fasm's syntax.
    I stick with masm32 nowadays and winasm for the IDE.

But it all comes down to what works for you
    Yeah!

WinASM For the win.

@zeco: Yay, start posting around here again. I get lonely.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    I like the FASM syntax it's more minimalistic, MASM is more Object Oriented in comparison. I realize that for windows I'll have to be familiar with MASM but I digress from learning my ASM from a MASM point of view.
    ~
    So far I'm resolving to do my pet projects in FASM, and my "real" projects in MASM, I'll also look into Winasm since you recommended it.
    Last edited by Arhk; 04-06-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    That or idk... u could use C++. =/

But idk whatever floats ur boat. I just can't practically think of coding in asm for any thing larger then idk... hello world. Even with MASM's macros.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    Even though I'd probably find it fun writing up GUI's with ASM, by projects I probably mean like an algorithm for a specific thing, any memory scanning operations basically, so it'll probably end up embedded...
    ~

Thanks
    I dont think I have posted here in awhile if not ever. When learning ASM I chose Flat assembler over the alternatives due to it being very updated and it is cross platform. The fact that the linker is built in is also a plus.
    I dont know much about MASM but Flat Assembler has an invoke macro that is extremely useful when using the windows API.
    There are many other benefits when using FASM you would just have to check it out because there are too many for me to list.
    When it comes to coding full programs in ASM you just need to know the syntax, it isnt hard to convert something to ASM that was already coded in another language as long as you understand both languages.

You might be able to sway me to go back to NASM but I digress still because I think it's kinda kikass how FASM is open source and doesn't need a linker.
    Flat assembler has a built in linker with its ide, just alittle fyi it has to be linked .

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugz View Post
    I dont think I have posted here in awhile if not ever. When learning ASM I chose Flat assembler over the alternatives due to it being very updated and it is cross platform. The fact that the linker is built in is also a plus.
    I dont know much about MASM but Flat Assembler has an invoke macro that is extremely useful when using the windows API.
    There are many other benefits when using FASM you would just have to check it out because there are too many for me to list.
    When it comes to coding full programs in ASM you just need to know the syntax, it isnt hard to convert something to ASM that was already coded in another language as long as you understand both languages.

Flat assembler has a built in linker with its ide, just alittle fyi it has to be linked .
    MASM also has the invoke macro, and plenty more. As for an IDE, you can just use WinASM for MASM.