Thread: C++ & Math

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Hello there, right now I'm 21 years old and I'm taking Bachelor in Software Engineering. Tbh, for me, the usage of Math in the programming just a little only. Programming is you have to understand how the system will work.

So, yes, you can learn to become a software engineer. I think it is better you start with java. Netbeans IDE. Most of luck!
    Anything can PM me. I'm from Malaysia.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuhrain View Post
    Hello there, right now I'm 21 years old and I'm taking Bachelor in Software Engineering. Tbh, for me, the usage of Math in the programming just a little only. Programming is you have to understand how the system will work.

So, yes, you can learn to become a software engineer. I think it is better you start with java. Netbeans IDE. Most of luck!
    ewww netbeans disgustang !

Thanks
    I don't write in C++, though I don't think maths is that important. People who don't program seem to think it is. When I tell people i'm bad at Math they always exclaim and say "But you're a programmer?". Maths is really not that important most of the time. Most values are represented by code anyway, so its really just knowing how to string your functions together to get the results you want. Its kinda the whole point...

I don't need to know how to divide 2321 by 432 +3... because it will be written as somthing like CountNumberOfRec/RandomVariable+someOffset.....

Its funny though as in tutorials and early projects a lot of examples are using math, printing integers and doing all sorts of things with them. 90% of that stuff you will never really need to use. Unless you work in specific fields. I have also written games in unity (nothing noteworthy, but functional nonetheless) and maths is not needed there either.

Thanks
    So, it kinnda takes a bit of math and understanding, but you dont need that much as u might think, Coding is much more about the logic and architecture.
    I would suggest you taking a look into c# instead of c++, and may switch afterwards, c# is easier to begin with.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Chatty
    You don't need a huge knowledge in math. Software engineering at uni is actually not that much coding. Its more planning and customer interaction. Coding is secondary. They teach you the basics, your job is to do extra work to find how you can complete the task. Even comp sci isn't that much math (you do have to do math courses), but not that many of them.
    I barely use MPGH IM, Send me a private message to reach me faster!
    Also I currently don't sell anything!

DD/MM/YYYY
    Joined MPGH: 07/02/2017
    Premium: 08/02/2017 - ∞
    Newsforce (HOTW): 07/06/2017 - ∞
    Publicist: 06/11/2017 - 12/04/2018
    Minion (Minecraft): 23/12/2017 - ∞
    Minion (Cryptocurrency Talks): 01/05/2018 - ∞

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Allura For This Useful Post:

MikeRohsoft (12-10-2018)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allura View Post
    You don't need a huge knowledge in math. Software engineering at uni is actually not that much coding. Its more planning and customer interaction. Coding is secondary. They teach you the basics, your job is to do extra work to find how you can complete the task. Even comp sci isn't that much math (you do have to do math courses), but not that many of them.
    Probably depends on the country, but for me logic was in the first semester. Not directly math but closely related. Also my course of studies was "applied computer science" so that probably makes a huge difference.
    Last edited by Biesi; 12-15-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks
    Remember my sentence well - if you want, you will succeed in everything.

Thanks
    Hi, full-time software engineer of some big company here.

I want to say math is not required to programming. But not knowing math will definitely limits the things you can do.
    To make it more relative. I think if you think you can learn photoshop, you can make a pretty website all right. If you know some algebra, you can probably write some scripts for games. If you want to make self-driving cars, you better know your linear algebra and calculus well.

Thanks
    I gotta say, i'm 3 years into programming and only met once a hard math problem, it was about shooting a projectile from where the player is facing. but that was it.
    May be because i don't do math related software i think lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tedi20233 View Post
    Quick Question: Im 16 years old student who is bad at maths but want to learn programing and software engineering ! Can i learn C++ without math or other langueges ?
    Programming doesn't require much math. However, C++ is very difficult language that requires deep thinking. Just try to learn the following basics:
    - pointers
    - references
    - recursion

If they seem to be too difficult, you better choose another language, like Python.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    im lowkey stupid when it comes to math.. im learning at a decent pace. if i can i know you 1000% can
    https://www.auplod.com/u/dolaupac796.png

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Hey im a student and I suck at maths as well XD

Programming is all about LOGIC!
    You need to think 99% of the time you're coding anything. Math is pretty easy but some things can mess you up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12