Thanks
    My Mood
    Hot

How long does it take to learn C++?

I was wondering how long did it take you to learn C++ enough to be able to make hacks? I'm a real noob at C++ and am reading C++ for Dummies (xD).

Also what's a good estimate to as how old you have to be to learn C++, because I'm only 13 but am really determined to learn C++.

Thanks

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    I started at the age of 10 with HTML, around my 14th i began with C++, so i dont think there is a real age to start with coding, depends on ur IQ and ur will to learn,
    Also there isnt realy a time period for getting to know it, its different for everybody, also -> you can never be done with learning, just learn the basics first, then expand ur knowledge, if there's anything i can help you with, let me know..
    “Those who control the past, control the future: who controls the present controls the past” ~ George Orwell

Its me, Dreamgun

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by _-Blazin-_ View Post
    I was wondering how long did it take you to learn C++ enough to be able to make hacks? I'm a real noob at C++ and am reading C++ for Dummies (xD).

Also what's a good estimate to as how old you have to be to learn C++, because I'm only 13 but am really determined to learn C++.

Thanks
    Well, first of all, buy a REAL book xD those books for dummies.. suck a bit imo.
    Another thing is that, if you are learning it to make hacks, you might end up giving up and get mad with yourself, because that requires good experience.. and a lot of time.
    Just start by reading a real good book or reading this (C++ Language Tutorial) which is a good tutorial to start with, take time to learn the basic's, don't jump over it. And one thing, PRACTICE, and don't simply copy and paste your code.. ^^ havefun
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why most people seem bright until you hear them speak.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 'Bruno For This Useful Post:

why06 (05-13-2010)

Thanks
    5 weeks or more

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    You'll still be learning C++ when you're 50+ years old.
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hell_Demon For This Useful Post:

Sixx93 (05-11-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Demon View Post
    You'll still be learning C++ when you're 50+ years old.
    finally someone who agree's with me,
    You can never be done learning,
    its different for everyone how fast you know the basics etc.
    just give it a try, see if you like it, if you do, move on.
    “Those who control the past, control the future: who controls the present controls the past” ~ George Orwell

Its me, Dreamgun

Thanks
    I started coding at age 10, finished HTML/Java (Basics and Advanced, but more to learn always) and at 12 I was getting good at C++. But as HD said, you can keep learning forever. I am 19 and still learning more and more
    Last edited by mwb1234; 05-11-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    You could probably learn how to make crappy hack code in a months time, leeching other peoples functions, methods. But you'll only end up with malformed code that probably wont work well, or in the case of hacking wont work at all.

But like with any art for, coding is something that can be learnt quick but acquiring a skill of great refinement takes time, like with any other art form. I can play violin fine, but my skill pales in comparison to anyone who say has been playing for 30years, lots of times you'll think you're doing good but then you'll look up and see someone who's been around the block longer than you and wonder.... If you've made any true progress at all, when there's still so much ahead. I can play Canon in D fine, or even Twinkle Twinkle little star near "perfect", but yet musicians who've been playing for decades add such musicianship to their playing it's out of my ability for me to emulate them in even the "simplest" of music.

In coding true skilled is shown through a well thought out tactic of balancing a program to run efficently and bug free, by making it even able to check and correct itself for error. Even if you're a good windows programmer you come accross a book on advanced topics of debugging and all these different concepts more seasoned coders trying to make the same product as you would include, refined approaches for loops and ingenious solutions to subtract code while limiting the room for error. Coding is an art form like any other because there is no definitively "correct" way to do things, and two programs could serve the same purpose or even have similar GUI's but still be different from eachother under the hood. As you'll become more experienced you'll take a more refined aproach in code by knowing more about what's under the hood. It's fun because when you get the basics down, you can focus more on refining your skill rather than having to stress basics.
    "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." John 15:18

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arhk For This Useful Post:

DareoTheOreo (06-09-2011),Hell_Demon (05-13-2010),why06 (05-13-2010)