Thanks

The state of ROTMG Private Servers

Hey gang, thought I'd use this as a place to get my thoughts out of my head about the state of a majority of private servers. Feel free to chat in below and share your opinions, this is going to be quite an SA.

So overall, in my opinion, what have we got that's doing well at the moment? Valor? Revenge of the Fallen? I think that's it.

I sit here all day every day looking at my computer screen, scrolling through MPGH, *******, whatever it may be and good god is this a mess. Obviously we've got the head honchos (ROTF because Mini, Skilly and Mike are just not even human with the content they produce and they must be making an absolute killing.) And Valor because once again, although Faux has recently left it's being left in very very capable hands. Understandably, players flock to the server's with the most content, best content and the servers that actually make changes the community wants.

All of this is fine.

However I'm in this position now where I'm like many other, making my own server (yes I know you've heard it all before) and to be honest, I find it incredible just how lucky us new joiner to the ROTMG Pserver scene are, we have several pretty much ready to go out of the tin sources to choose from, guides for everything we could ever dream of. In 3 days I've basically remade every single Prod dungeon, and you know that feels? Fu**ing amazing! Nothing better than running Wserver and Server .exe, giving yourself the key to x dungeon and seeing how your new horrible bullet hell in a small room works. It's great. I personally feel like there is so much untapped potential within this tight knit community. I'm now at the problem of getting people to join me, as I'm sure you're all aware, no one can really Sprite, Develop, make maps, moderate everything they do. I think it's so hard for newer start up servers to get any traction at all because of the big bosses looming over us. And you know like that's fine, they deserve that attention, but what can new servers do? Is there something I'm missing? I know no one within the community apart from Miniguy (god he has been so useful.) and without him I would of lost faith by now.

How do you all stay motivated?

I'm staying on task as I have other things that I can do to keep my mental state good, and I'm new so the excitement isn't going anywhere for a long time. But for some of you older members? Hats of to you, I couldn't do it.

So I want to know, what makes a private server stand out to you? How can a smaller force (in my case, literally me) advertise and get some helpers if possible, or even just the general public to hop in and help? How do the people who can make behaviors, can make custom dungeons, etc etc, branch out and start doing the proper things, and by that I mean, custom UI's, new stats, things that no one else really does. There are the few of you on here that are simply incredible at what you produce.. We have an incredible mobile Private server, that's just mind boggling to me.

Here's another point I'd like to touch on; Donations.

I think if you'd like to donate to support a server, that's great. I recently had a feud with another server owner, I won't go into details but said server has a system where you pay money, get UT's and pets. I was made staff pretty quickly and at the time I was so passionate.. however I soon realized that the owner was in it for money, not much more else. A shame really, so here's the thing. What donation rewards can you put in place that are cool, something to give the player for them spending their hard earned cash on you without you breaking your game into a P2W server. I know there's skins, dyes, but anything else?

Overall, I know this has been very very ranty. I apologise. I've not spoken to anyone about the fact that smaller start up servers gain little to know traction without a hand me out from someone with a youtube channel etc.. You'd be shocked, I'm currently in around 6 different *******s of private server in dev (excluding my own).

If you wanna have a polite chat with me about this down below please do, I think I'm just sad because I want someone to talk too. Heh, that's just me.

I'm just struggling to find that open door to smaller servers to have a path into the light (as it were).

Thanks for attending my Ted Talks.

Jude.
    Last edited by Britishjude; 03-03-2019 at 02:07 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Britishjude For This Useful Post:

NyanCatOK (05-13-2019)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Realm of the Mad God private servers as we know them should not be around anybody, due to many reasons, that has been talked about over and over again.
    Those reasons are why we should all start working as a community to achieve a Unity client project. However most just wait for DECA to release their client so they can take the easy way around it all and decompile theirs to straight up use it.

The community won't grow from this though, as we saw when Fabiano Release. Unity is ultimate way to kick things of again but people have gotten so use to taking easy shortcuts that Unity is not really a option...

I've made my own Unity project (I'm making a post as I'm writing this in this discussion section of MPGH)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lkdjnfoskjednfblksjdfn For This Useful Post:

NyanCatOK (05-13-2019)

Thanks
    @Binary I agree with you. It's such a crazy community to be honest, just imagine if we could get all the work force from all the servers(also given the people who aren't as up to date with the development side a chance) to combine into one, god server. Unity is the way to go and what you've achieved thus far is mind boggling.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Britishjude For This Useful Post:

lkdjnfoskjednfblksjdfn (03-05-2019),NyanCatOK (05-13-2019)

Thanks
    Unity does have its downsides. It's prone to bugs, especially towards pixelated games. Because it's closed source, we're at the mercy of it's developers to tackle bugs, opposed to a community being able to easily patch, upgrade, and better the code on our own. It's far from a bad engine, but it wouldn't be my first choice to port the game.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LarryLover For This Useful Post:

NyanCatOK (05-13-2019)