Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Going to college gave me the space I needed to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, to get internships, and to make connections that enabled me to get paying gigs later on.

I may not have ever put my "Intro to Archaeology" knowledge to practical use, but I was able to eliminate "archaeologist/Indiana Jones" from my list of dream careers. And I value the fact that I was able to make a list that had room for careers as audacious as that.

If I hadn't have gone to college, I may have eventually been able to figure out that I wanted to be a writer. But I don't think I'd be where I am now, or even close to it.

That doesn't mean my career is going perfectly, or that my student loan payments have gone off without a hitch. I got laid off from my first post-grad job a week before last Thanksgiving, and it's taken almost six months to gain any real traction as a freelance journalist. But I work in an industry where that kind of instability is common. And after covering student loans as a journalist, I'm fortunate to know how to navigate my debt with confidence, even when money is tight.

Student loans can be an oppressive force, one that can prevent you from doing what you want to do and living how you want to live. And predicting the amount of debt you'll graduate with can be a difficult task. (Based on my freshman year aid package, I thought I'd graduate with about $35,000 in loans and ended up with nearly double that.) But I can't say I agree with people who insist it's better to skip college altogether than to graduate with debt.

I don't regret my student loans. And I don't think it's fair to tell people like me, those who would be the first in their family to go to college and don't come from money, that this opportunity - which has long been touted as a surefire path to upward mobility - isn't an good option.

Thanks
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! This does not need to go unnoticed and our youth need to be made aware that they can achieve some level of success in life without it being tied to a degree

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Depends on if you really know what you want to do and what to expect for funds. Don't feel rushed to do it, either - many people end up switching careers over time or just saying screw it and getting a trade instead.

Thanks
    Honestly, in my opinion this really depends on the individual and what they plan on doing with their life. I did an accounting degree within one of the best business schools in Canada and I felt like for me it was completely worthless. My plan originally was to pick something with decent pay and good job security but I stumbled across a lot of different methods to make money online since e-commerce was starting to get a lot bigger and I was the type of person that would just watch youtube video's and just research as much as I can on a topic to learn and has done me fairly well.

I can't say that this is something for everyone but I did also start a couple small businesses when I was younger too which also gave me the taste that I didn't want to ever work for anyone and needed to be my own boss. If your sole purpose is to make money then I think there are many free resources online that if you were to put as much time into as going to a university would you would be just as successful. However, if you do go the self taught route I think you would have to be extremely well disciplined and be able to meet your own deadlines otherwise you will get nothing done.

If you have a specific passion and need expertise in a certain subject then that's where I think university would make it really worth it.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused
    I agree with Lunartic.

Thanks
    you start a hot tub stream on twitch to pay off your debt now - seen alot of people doing that

Thanks
    lucky enough to graduate nearly debt free

always apply to any scholarship, there are tons of weird ones with almost 0 competition

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    So lucky I'm from Europe and all my engineering uni is free

My MPGH Activity
    ----------------------------------------------------
    December 17 2018 -> June 09 2020 - News Force Team
    May 02 2018 - Premium Seller
    December 18 2017 - Premium member

Thanks
    If you apply yourself you don't always need a certificate to prove yourself

Thanks
    No it ain't worth it having a debt. Imagine, you just finished uni then you found a job, the first thing you have to do is pay your debt instead of spending that money to something else.

Thanks

uci/college

very few degrees are worth the debt an MD, law degree and engineering degree are all worth it a gender studies degree isn't

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool
    It really depends. I'm doing something that I thoroughly enjoy. It's pretty much paying for paper qualifications and to meet like-minded people. Depends really.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Only if you get a degree in a field that pays well.

Only if you get a degree in a field that pays well.

Thanks
    There's no point in going into debt and going to college without studying.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123