Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

Help me decide what is more appropriate

Hi Guys,

I have a quick question and i'm going to throw some background context at you.

I'm 22 years old, I graduated last year May with a B.S in computer science. Can i code? No?

Can I understand a little bit, yes kind of.

Did coding ever catch my attention, no because i was never able to understand it. I just couldn't understand the building blocks to code and design.

Now, i'm currently a technology analyst. I decided that I want to take a udemy course and fully learn coding. I'm stuck between java and javascript. I know they're both totally different languages. During school i had no exposure to JS but rather I had a lot of exposure to java.

I read a lot of different things from Js is easier to learn but harder to master. Java is more classic with standard things. People ask me do i want to do front-end or back-end? I don't really know, does it really matter? I didn't experience

Don't bash me for not learning in school, I shoud've learned and paid attention and really tried growing a passion for it. Better late than never.

for a second I was leaning towards javascript because it might be easier to create mini project and i can build my self a portfolio, but again I can do the same thing with java.

Please help me a make a decision that might impact my future. Thank you

TLDR: Do I learn java or javascript?
    Add me on IM
    Add me on IM

If you would like to Vouch For me
    Tutorial on HOW to SE FitBit

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Do what's easiest for you. Do what's most useful for you too. Choose one language and go with that.

THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311

HAVING VIRTUAL DETOX

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Javascript has more job demand than Java and definitely is easier to learn, not sure about harder to master since they're apple and oranges.

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

Thanks
    Java is to hard of a language to be your first one imo... I'd honestly open up to more than just Java/JS, maybe try Python and learn that syntax first and get background with a language before learning something a bit more difficult

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    I don't think it comes down to what language you pick..Also what do you want to accomplish with them?
    IF you ever thing you may need to build anything on the internet then JavaScript is a must.

Also it really depends on your level of you understanding code...I would prefer Java to have a better learning curve. Javascript its easy at first and it gives you many great tools fun libraries etc but you don't really get to learn coding imo that way. You have to really understand what you are using and what it does.

But the most important thing its not even close to what language you gonna end up picking... The most important thing is to stick to programming in general for at least a 6 months period and keep constantly writing programs and using what you are learning from the udemy course and challenge yourself with fun projects to keep yourself motivated thats the "trick". Its like playing an instrument.

That being said you should also consider C. Beginners most of the time find it a nightmare to work with but it helps you a ton.. you have to learn and manage almost eveything yourself and you have perfect controll about anything is happenning. Start using DevC++ then move on stuff like CodeBlocks, CLion (personal fav), Visual Studio (consider the best for C, C++), even Visual Studio Code.

TLDR: Try having fun with the proccess and keep writing!
    Last edited by Cloud Anarchy; 02-07-2020 at 06:51 AM. Reason: epic syntax

Quote Originally Posted by Deity View Post
    Love this guy - Best designs around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Otisホ View Post
    + rep ,That guy is a god, i just told him what i want, and he did it as i said.Same idea was in my mind, thanks !
    Quote Originally Posted by ashley_cole23199 View Post
    +1 Vouch

Made me the sickest logo for business, definitely going to be doing future business with him, by far the best graphics designer I've used on mpgh so far!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rop89 View Post
    Love this guy! So chill, done an amazing job on my thread and also offer free edits? What more could you ask for! THe price was basically nothing! GOing to get him to my avatar and signature soon!

VOUCH+
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinchein View Post
    +1 for this guy, make me a logo in 2 hours ! +++ Perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by Nice View Post
    Vouch, great designs for an affordable price. Would recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endl3ss View Post
    voch he made me some amazing thread work!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Do whats easiest for you mate

Thanks
    I personally clicked with Java pretty quick when I started it in college a few years back. Do you see yourself as a website creator/programmer and does programming websites/web applications interest you? If not, then go with something else. In this case, that something else would be Java.

Java is used more in Android and general software development.

It comes down to two things: Website development vs general software development.

As far as the job market goes: I think Javascript is increasing in demand because of how many businesses are transitioning to online-based stores/e-commerce. The freelancing opportunities are also greater in Javascript due to regular people wanting websites all the time. It's easier to find someone who wants a website than someone who wants software/applications built.
    Java is still high in demand and will never go away due to how much software relies on it, but Javascript is growing faster right now.

Last thing/advice, from a career standpoint: do not do it for money. You will be miserable for the rest of your life if you choose something for the money and do not enjoy doing it. You always hear this, but it's important.

Both are great choices. Experiment with both and see what interests you more.
    If that does not work out for you, check out Python. It's a great, and easy, language to learn. Good luck!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I would go with a something like Lua or Python. Can't believe you have a B.S in Computer Science and don't know how to program, lol