Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

The increasing speed of technological change

The rate of change keeps going up. Things keep improving at a faster and faster pace. What would normally take a century of development now takes a couple years at best.

16" 600x400 CRTs turned to 37 inch 120hz flatscreen 8k monitors
    56k internet became commonplace 1 gigabit internet
    4 kb of RAM is now 64 gb
    giant brick phones are now tiny foldable cellphones with powerful supercomputers built in them
    tank cars that did 15 mpg are now cars are starting to self drive and get 40-50 mpg or even electric
    what used to take an entire team of digital artists to edit now can be done with a phone as a 10 second amusing effect
    what operators or assistants used to do can be done with a virtual assistant
    what used to be trawling through giant 50 set books that contained information can be done by typing a few letters
    century old personal mobility became electrified
    handheld physical coins and currency became digitalized
    giant chemical photography boxes got replaced by handheld cameras that are 1000x more powerful
    people to make coffee and burgers are now being replaced by robots
    phone calls that squeaked by on poor analog lines got replaced by digital classrooms
    giant mechanical hard drives got replaced by finger nail sized solid state drives
    building small 1200 ft towers were considered an accomplishment, now we're building 2800 ft high skyscrapers that get higher and higher every few years
    the 40,000 gwt titantic was considered huge, now we're building huge me 230,000 gwt goliaths
    giant music collections stored in cabinets and manually swapped out become a key press away
    things that took people months to design, architech, test, and build can be designed and 3d printed with a click
    used to take 2 hours out of your day to buy groceries and now press a button and now days a drone drop it off to you in 10 minutes
    used to be pray for a landline or a clear sky for my satellite internet out in the boonies but now the earth is blanketed in internet from space delivered by reusable rockets that can land on their own
    don't get me started on genetic engineering or quantum tech or health advances
    ...on and on...

The time it takes for a new generation of technology to come in keeps taking less and less time. Most of the tech listed before was over a century old and got replaced a couple times over in the last 2 decades, and we take it for granted boys. Crazy times we're living in. Everything is becoming obsolete at a faster and faster clip. There's never been more life instability than there is now, learn a skill and it becomes worthless 5 years down the line. If it doesn't we get angry, who the fuck wants an iPhone 11? That's old man technology, give me that iPhone 16, cunt. What's that you want me to manually turn on the lights? Fuck off, tell Alexa to do it. Generation old institutions that haven't kept with the times are crashing and burning down by a 2 year old stealth project ran by some 20 year old kid in his mom's basement. We have a mobster as a president and we pretend like everything is normal. Trillion dollar companies, people with 200 billion dollars in wealth, empires that would last centuries falling in decades, 3rd world nations modernizing and building tens of giant futuristic cities in a few decades that eclipse great cities that took a century to build.

If we make it to 2030, it's gonna be a wild ride. Keep your hands and feet in the vehicle at all times, and hold on for dear life. Not trying to sound like some dumb ass old fuck complaining about change on some opinion column in some newspaper, but this shit is crazy. Keep with the times, or be fossilized.

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

Thanks
    Maybe I'll get a girl

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post:

Ryuk (09-14-2020)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    pink guy intensifies

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    2030 gonna be lit

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Brain View Post
    Maybe I'll get a girl
    woah now. we're talking about a hyper advancing civilization not miracles

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arunforce For This Useful Post:

Charion (09-14-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arunforce View Post

woah now. we're talking about a hyper advancing civilization not miracles
    Oh, I forgot. Me losing CS is more reasonable

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    I don't think we'll keep processing at this rate for much longer unless there's some radical change in our engineering, we're reaching pretty much the peak of moore's law.

We've been taking exponential economic growth due to the technology boom as a given, I wonder what will happen when technology slows down and the economy implodes.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Brain View Post
    Maybe I'll get a girl
    Last I heard @Boombox was single.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaydow For This Useful Post:

Charion (09-14-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Last I heard @Boombox was single.
    https://www.mpgh.net/forum/showthrea...9#post12922609
    Yes I agree with this guy. Boombox is a most retard shit mpgh staff I ever know. Previously a user open scam report open on me saying that I bitcoin double spent him and this shit Boombox shit talk and agree on it.
    I'll pass

Thanks

Thanks
    Fake .

Thanks
    not to mention a big part of these technological advancements is the advent of machine learning
    statistical methods that are used in today's machine learning algorithms were conceived long before the 1950s... least squares, markov chains, bayes.
    the 1950s comes around, we're doing basic ML. machines able to play simple board games like checkers.
    70 years later we have self driving cars, speech and face recognition, big data analysis, mining and engineering.
    machines learning from experience. doing things over and over and over.
    well humans, you could say in a sense, are unlimited in their learning capacity. but there's no way we would ever be able to learn everything, let alone have the energy to do it. but a machine could.
    so machines would be able to, at some point, make deeper, and deeper connections after one... two... three... an infinite number of mistakes. they will always have the energy and and capability to learn.
    then they develop some form of the self... their own consciousness.
    they have an understanding of what it is to be... human.
    they can do everything we do but better
    so they'll become a new intelligent species.
    but since they're better.... we have to hope they don't turn on us
    or it leads to our end
    [ • ] [ • ] [ • ] [ • ][ • ]

Editor from 06•14•2011 • 2014
    Donator since 09•16•2011
    Minion from 10•10•2011 • 01•06•2011
    Minion+ from 01•06•2012 • 08•08•2012
    Moderator from 08•08•2012 • 10•06•2012
    Global Moderator from 10•06•2012 • 12•05•2017
    Staff Administrator from 12•05•2017 • 05•01•2019
    Trusted Member since 07•13•2019
    Global Moderator since 09•11•2020

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    so they'll become a new intelligent species.
    but since they're better.... we have to hope they don't turn on us
    or it leads to our end
    Detroit Become Human pretty much just gotta hope they go about it the nice way
    I Read All Of My PM's & VM's
    If you need help with anything, just let me know.

VM | PM | IM
    Staff Administrator Since 10.13.2019
    Publicist Since 04.04.2015
    Middleman Since 04.14.2014
    Global Moderator Since 08.01.2013
    Premium Since 05.29.2013

Minion+ Since 04.18.2013

Combat Arms Minion Since 12.26.2012
    Contributor Since 11.16.2012
    Member Since 05.11.2010

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Flengo For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Hero (09-14-2020)

Thanks
    just wait till google and ibm really fine tune the quantum computers. You guys think we are going thru leaps rn just watch when we apply quantum supercomputing to the worlds problems. all of these advancements listed arun are kids play when compared to the advancement of the quantum supercomputer. Quantum supremacy has been achieved already by google, lockheed martin already has a quantum computer. Once it becomes reliable and once humans have created a better base programming language for the super computer we will have astronomical leaps in technology, health care, finance, etc, even potentially the meaning of life could be computated using a super computer. It transcends normal engineering and coding as it could be used to find out anything ever. if they ran a simulation of the planet on it they could have ever single outcome within minutes. the question is how do we convert all of this real world sh into code, they have been able to find cures or begin research in some as you could literally imput the dna sequence of something and the computer will run computations at the speed of light till it finds a matching sequence. Im excited for the next years!!! Hoverboards he we come!!!!!!!!

THE EYES OF THE DAVESTAPO ARE UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO WE ARE GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE WE GONNA BE

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Just waiting for cloud based quantum computers, no need for a PC anymore in a few years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast