Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

How To Overcome Depression?

Stress and Depression have now become part of many people's lives.. Why do you think that stress level has been increased in the recent years?

Thanks
    I'm thinking that technology has a lot to do with it. Example social media has a big influence on people, more pressure to 'succeed' in a way, making a persona like life? Not sure how to explain it but you get the picture. Everyone wants to be happy at all times because everone else looks to be happy?

Several other factors have something to do with it as well, say the increasingly expensive housing market (depends on where you live ofc) makes it more difficult to do simple things like live on your own, be independent.

minion: 2019-yes
    minion+: 2020-2022
    inactive as shit sorry boys

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bodvar For This Useful Post:

Charion (02-21-2021),Hollow_Knight (02-21-2021),Matthew (02-21-2021),Noxey (02-21-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired
    By doing belowout
    Anything can PM me. I'm from Malaysia.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodvar View Post
    I'm thinking that technology has a lot to do with it. Example social media has a big influence on people, more pressure to 'succeed' in a way, making a persona like life? Not sure how to explain it but you get the picture. Everyone wants to be happy at all times because everone else looks to be happy?

Several other factors have something to do with it as well, say the increasingly expensive housing market (depends on where you live ofc) makes it more difficult to do simple things like live on your own, be independent.
    From a used to be content creator perspective, I can confirm that there is a lot of pressure to succeed, I wanted to succeed cause then that would have given me an opportunity to wipe away any debts that dad had, and no longer had to take things with monthly payments. So, yes social media doesn't help at all with the depression, and personally, you can't beat depression in general, you can make you feel less of it, but 100% getting rid of it, never.
    Reputation power: 56
    If I helped you in any way or shape of form, it's always appreciated to thank or give a rep!

| [ Rules ] | [ Market Place ] | [ Scammers Grave ] | [ Report a scammer ] |

Achievements:
    News Force - 08-23-2018 - 10-02-2018
    Middleman - 05-09-20 - 19-12-2020
    Former Staff - 19-12-2020 - On-going

Thanks
    Music .

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Yeah disconnect from social media, news and focus on being happy with what you have in life. You can aim for the stars but the stress of it isn't worth it. Money comes and goes, focus on your health and the things that have and will make you happy.

THE EYE OF AN ADMINISTRATOR IS UPON YOU. ANY WRONG YOU DO IM GONNA SEE, WHEN YOU'RE ON MPGH, LOOK BEHIND YOU, 'CAUSE THATS WHERE IM GONNA BE

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you lose.” - Dave84311

HAVING VIRTUAL DETOX

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave84311 For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Austin (02-21-2021),WalterWhiten (02-26-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave84311 View Post
    Money comes and goes, focus on your health and the things that have and will make you happy.
    ^^^

also cut out any and all toxic personalities/factors from your life

VIP Support // May 2011
    CF Minion // January 2012
    Newsforce // August 2012
    Minion+ // March 2013
    Moderator // August 2014
    Former Staff // January 2015
    General Minion // July 2015
    Publicist // December 2015

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Austin For This Useful Post:

[MPGH]Dave84311 (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    What you call depression is a natural response to maturity. The more information the mind absorbs, the higher the load you put on it.

It takes time to get out of this adjustment period and believe it or not, many people never actually break free of it. But to answer whether it has been increasing or not: It has always existed, just in different forms over time, and with the expansion of global communication like social media, along with its destructive traits, it is bound to show more clearly on people. So it's not purely a numbers game where social media increases depressed people by x%, but it's more about what people are getting depressed about.

Seeking attention like people have been doing online is a form of depression in my books, for example, which was not a thing a few decades ago; yet people were also depressed back then, just with different things, like shortage of resources, war, poverty and so forth.

Stress levels have increased because there is way, way too many of us, parents were not educated so we ended up with two generations of dog crap, and we have yet to address the main problems of our society, but are determined to build upon a horrible base which will inevitably cause our society to fall.

It's like a paradox: Humans are intelligent. Humans do not like fault in themselves or others. Humans are becoming less intelligent and are beginning to lose control over everything they have been building. Aaaand it will repeat once this cycle is over.
    I do not use any type of messenger outside of MPGH.
    Inactive but you can reach me through VM/PM.

Donator - 30 August 2013
    Battlefield Minion - 26 October 2013

Blackshot Minion - 14 January 2014/16 September 2014
    Minecraft Minion - 7 February 2014/16 September 2014
    WarRock Minion - 23 February 2014
    League of Legends Minion - 21 March 2014

Minion+ - 15 May 2014
    Other Semi-Popular First Person Shooter Minion - 8 August 2014
    CrossFire Minion - 23 October 2014
    Programming Section Minion - 13 November 2014
    Marketplace Minion - 7 December 2014

Official Middleman - 7 December 2014 - 27 June 2015
    Moderator - 29 December 2014
    Project Blackout Minion - 10 January 2015
    News Force Interviewer - January 2015
    Steam Games Minion - 21 March 2015
    Dragon Nest Minion - 31 March 2015
    Publicist - April 2015 - 21 September 2015
    Global Moderator - 25 August 2015
    Super User - 13 August 2016

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mayion For This Useful Post:

Gaydow (02-28-2021),Stack (05-05-2021),Yemiez (03-01-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    A lot of people here have talked about social media and technologies in general (where you feel monitored, and you can have a look at your "friends" lifes, and see them posting the best elements from their lifes: something you think you can't reach). Notice also that even though we live in an "hyper-connected" society, individuals have never been so lonely, and people don't even look at you anymore. They are all stuck to their smartphones.

The news (nowadays, you are more concerned about what happens worldwide: and on a global scale, a lot of disasters happen; than you are about what happens in your surroundings).

There's something else that makes people feel depressed I think.
    The human beings have always been hunter/gatherers and crafters, working on their own to provide their family.
    They were working in farms, close to nature, and used to tinker with things in their houses: creating their own chairs, plates, tools, etc...

Nowadays, we don't have to do this anymore. Most people live in big cities, in tiny flats, surrounded by hundreds thousands people. What they do now in their freetime: watching tv, netflix, posting on social media, playing video games, pr0n. Nothing that stimulates creativity and makes us feel useful. People live in a polluted environment, in many ways (sound pollution which affects sleep, light pollution that also affects sleep and hides the stars, air pollution). In places built in concrete, where finding green spaces where we can hear nothing but the birds sing has become nearly impossible.

Most people have a shitty job, and work for an employer they don't necessarily like, just to get some money to buy their comfortable lifes. People are not fullfilled. They have debts, need to conform this society, to work for someone else and to forget about their own dreams. Our jobs make no sense anymore.

Most countries, especially in the western world are run by liberals, who want all humans to be part of the same community: the global community. It implies removing
    cultural bonds, and patriotism. Therefore, people don't live for their nation, for the common good. They live for themselves: they have become individualists, and lonely.

In the past, people used to have faith in god. It's still the case in a lot of countries, but not really in the western world which is, I think, way most affected by depression than other places/people on earth, where faith is omnipresent. When something goes wrong in someone's life, they don't even believe that god is, in some way, looking upon them.

Another thing to take into account is the psychiatry aspect of western societies: suffering from depression or other mental disorders is still badly seen, and the only solution psychiatrists can bring is pills. Medecines that make you addicted, make your brain believe that you are happy when you're not, and makes you a vegetable. The real way to solve a depression is not to medicate someone, but to give him/her answers, and to help them change their lives.

The last thing I see as an issue are single-men and women's rates. I think it has been caused mainly by feminism, and by the fact that women do not need men anymore. We come to a point where they can even have kids without the need for a father. People are more lonely and decidate their lives to the shitty jobs I talked about above, and not to their family. Men feel lonely and start acting needy, and women have the illusion that they can seduce any man they want, which makes men less interresting. to them

For all these reasons, I think western societies in particular, are subject to more stress and depression.
    Last edited by azerty54; 02-21-2021 at 04:49 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to azerty54 For This Useful Post:

Noxey (02-25-2021)

Thanks
    Get off social media. - Social media leads to alot of depression

Thanks
    Do weight lifting and stop social.media bro

Thanks
    having good distractions and breaks off the things that consume mind usually for me.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to endermvp For This Useful Post:

WalterWhiten (02-26-2021)

Thanks
    be happy only cure is happiness dont worry aswell

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CIA10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CIA10 View Post
    be happy only cure is happiness dont worry aswell
    Being contented is one of the best solution

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy486 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Quote Originally Posted by Charion View Post

From a used to be content creator perspective, I can confirm that there is a lot of pressure to succeed, I wanted to succeed cause then that would have given me an opportunity to wipe away any debts that dad had, and no longer had to take things with monthly payments. So, yes social media doesn't help at all with the depression, and personally, you can't beat depression in general, you can make you feel less of it, but 100% getting rid of it, never.
    True words! Getting rid of depression seems impossible for me as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast