Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep

Question How to find your dream job? (+your jobs)

Hi,

I am now 24, and I take the stock of my life.

I never knew what my vocation or dream job would be. I followed my parent's advice, and studied accounting.
    They said: there are plenty of opened positions, and it pays well.
    I completed the accounting studies, which I didn't like, and started to work as a bilingual secretary-accountant: leaving home at 7am and
    coming back at 8pm. I was always exhausted, didn't like my job, and earned the minimum wage for skilled workers despite having a lot of responsabilities in the company. This wage was not very high, but enough to save a lot of money, considering I was living by my parents home for free.

Being burnt out and depressed, I decided to quit my job to dedicate to a project, which unfortunately, didn't work out. I will have to find another job, but I'm not in a hurry. What matters the most is that this job suits me.
    I don't know what I'm going to do, and I don't want to get back to my former carrier. Finding my "dream job" would be amazing, if only it existed...
    If I have to wake up everyday, I prefer to be happy to do it and to feel useful, rather than to be depressed and to waste my life for some bucks.

Seeking for inspiration, I would like to know what is your current job, and what would your dream job be (if you haven't found it already).

Thanks for your feedback.
    Last edited by azerty54; 02-23-2021 at 02:35 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to azerty54 For This Useful Post:

WalterWhiten (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    thanks for the info

Thanks
    My Mood
    Scared
    what you're feeling at 24 years old is COMPLETELY NORMAL, the burnt out depression of acclimating to a routined lifestyle is pretty common, im not saying you should settle for it and let the tides wash over you, but it is a normal feeling

that being said, when i was 17 finishing highschool i had no idea what i was going to do, my parents pretty much gave up on me and giving any advice so i kind of did whatever i wanted until i found out how cool engineering was. after i worked a few jobs, tried out a couple trade schools, robotics was the one i liked the most so im sticking with that for as long as i can, and i looked more into robotics to see if it could get any cooler, and it does; autonomy, biomedical surgery, bionics, an automated farming there are endless cool paths i can go down

i only found out what i wanted to do from ALOT of trial and error, do yourself the favor and try new things to find out what you hate and what you'd RATHER be doing

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boy For This Useful Post:

azerty54 (02-26-2021),WalterWhiten (02-24-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boy View Post
    what you're feeling at 24 years old is COMPLETELY NORMAL, the burnt out depression of acclimating to a routined lifestyle is pretty common, im not saying you should settle for it and let the tides wash over you, but it is a normal feeling

that being said, when i was 17 finishing highschool i had no idea what i was going to do, my parents pretty much gave up on me and giving any advice so i kind of did whatever i wanted until i found out how cool engineering was. after i worked a few jobs, tried out a couple trade schools, robotics was the one i liked the most so im sticking with that for as long as i can, and i looked more into robotics to see if it could get any cooler, and it does; autonomy, biomedical surgery, bionics, an automated farming there are endless cool paths i can go down

i only found out what i wanted to do from ALOT of trial and error, do yourself the favor and try new things to find out what you hate and what you'd RATHER be doing
    I am in a similar position and everyone tells me to try new things but the question is how. realistically for someone out of hs and can't afford to go to college and swtich majors every year, how do I and OP realistically try new things?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WalterWhiten For This Useful Post:

azerty54 (02-26-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic
    It's completely normal to feel that way.
    Not everyone after graduating from university/college lands their dream job.
    There are lots of people who are unemployed, or underemployed at this age.
    With the pandemic, it's become even harder for job seekers as well.
    The reality might be harsher than it looks, you just have to know that you aren't alone, and that it will take time before things get clearer.
    You must not give up. Keep on looking for what suits you best. You will perform better with a job you like than something you don't.
    Another point is that you must be willing to adapt and learn. You might even discover something you like in the process and stick with that.
    There's not just one road to your destination. Focus and keep trying.

Super User since 08-29-2017
    Global Moderator from 10-02-2016 - 08-29-2017
    Premium Seller since 11-16-2016
    Moderator from 09-24-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Alliance of Valiant Arms Minion from 11-12-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Market place Minion from 09-24-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Crossfire Minion from 09-11-2015 - 01-09-2016

Middleman from 07-07-2015 - 01-09-2016
    Market Place Minion from 03-03-2014 - 08-01-2014
    Middleman from 01-30-2014 - 08-01-2014
    Moderator from 03-29-2013 - 04-04-2013
    Market Place Minion from 03-07-2013 - 04-04-2013
    Premium Member since 01-25-2013
    Middleman from 12-04-2012 - 04-04-2013
    Registered since 10-9-2011

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugo Boss For This Useful Post:

azerty54 (02-26-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    What are you passionate about? What do you find yourself enjoying?
    Sometimes you find your dream or ideal job later in life. I too studied for a specific type of subject for years to get a job in that field.
    However, I did not find it enjoyable or even liked it at all. As a matter of fact, I dreaded it as it was something pushed to me by my parents. I ended up not pursuing it any further and years after, It finally came to me what I was passionate about and enjoyed doing. One can call it a dream job.
    So it's ok to feel this way. It'll come to you eventually.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Scared
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterWhiten View Post
    I am in a similar position and everyone tells me to try new things but the question is how. realistically for someone out of hs and can't afford to go to college and swtich majors every year, how do I and OP realistically try new things?
    How to try new things for free:

1. Look at trade schools, or entry-level positions in ANY job.

I used government programs to go to trade schools for free, if you can't do the same they're usually pretty cheap (less than a few thousand) not to mention they are not contract-locking, you can drop out whenever you want and 90% of them are self-paced learning meaning you can take as much time as you want on anything

2. Entry-level jobs, I literally tried them all; from door-knocking and selling solar panels, working in a fast food kitchen scrubbing dishes, a janitor at walmart, and working at a nail salon.

I TRIED IT ALL, and HATED them all, the moment you find something you don't like doing, think to yourself: "what would I rather be doing." Depending on the company they will offer money for you to attend college, starbucks baristas, AT&T call representatives, panda express kitchen helpers, safelite auto glass technicians, walmart shelf stockers, they all have some kind of tuition bonuses if you are full time for 6+ months

It's not about finding what you like, it's about finding what you'd rather be doing, repeat that long enough and you will find what you love.

If you ever find yourself regretting your education, or hating the job you got. KEEP SEARCHING or go back to college, I've met so many nurses, accountants, and compsci grads who hated it and ended up going back to college in their 40's but they still manage to buy a house and be glad they changed careers. It's never too late to go back to school
    Last edited by boy; 02-24-2021 at 07:14 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to boy For This Useful Post:

WalterWhiten (02-26-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    Time moves extremely quick you have two options work a job or create a job .. i quit my job and started a full time FBA business with amazon and became a seller on ebay.. got burnt out on that and started a epoxy/garage installation business.. starting to not enjoy this work and moving onto something else.. its quite common for entreperneurs to keep changing jobs.. but thats me and what im comftable with each person is different.

the book that changed my life was rich dad poor dad

Thanks
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Thank you for all your messages.

At 24, with only 1 year of experience, I already feel too old to study something else, and have no idea what to study anyway.
    I don't see myself spending all my savings and 2 or 3 additional years to study (which I don't really like either), to end up potentially regretting my new subject again, and it would mean staying in my home country for additional years, which I can't bear. There's no way I stay in my country any longer, I don't feel safe there, there's not future, no hope. Staying there, in this dictatorship, makes me loose my mind.

I need to find a job in another country, but the only degrees I've got allow me to work with administrative and accounting tasks. I guess there are new jobs I can try, in banks, insurance companies, etc... but I'm not sure it will suit me either though. I will still be close to what I am used to: either overwhelming, either extremely boring. I don't know... Or maybe it will change depending on the company.

I like IT related stuff, but I don't have any degrees, and competition is fierce considering the amount of students who pass IT bachelors and degrees each year.
    And I don't trust my skills enough to start working in IT right away.

I also like learning foreign languages, and there are not a lot of jobs in that area:
    -interpreter: a very difficult job
    -translator: a very boring job that pays not enough, and requires degrees and certifications
    -teacher: I don't have a master degree, so unless I try to teach people online (which doesn't earn enough to pay the bills) and start my own business, I won't find a job.
    -tourism: covid... + I don't live in a place where there are a lot of tourists

Working as a seller, cashier or washing the dishes in a restaurant aren't appealing careers to me. I don't need to try these to know I won't like it.
    Where I live, people who do these jobs are underpaid and treated as inferior human beings by their bosses.
    The society I live in is not an english society with a lot of opportunities. It's a society where, if you haven't done the same work for 10 years straight,
    people won't respect you and won't trust you.

I would like to feel useful, to be happy to wake up to go to work everyday, and not to feel burnt out.
    It sounds impossible...

I pretty sure I will search for an administrative job, avoid accounting jobs, and hope to find something interesting.
    Last edited by azerty54; 02-26-2021 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boy View Post

How to try new things for free:

1. Look at trade schools, or entry-level positions in ANY job.

I used government programs to go to trade schools for free, if you can't do the same they're usually pretty cheap (less than a few thousand) not to mention they are not contract-locking, you can drop out whenever you want and 90% of them are self-paced learning meaning you can take as much time as you want on anything

2. Entry-level jobs, I literally tried them all; from door-knocking and selling solar panels, working in a fast food kitchen scrubbing dishes, a janitor at walmart, and working at a nail salon.

I TRIED IT ALL, and HATED them all, the moment you find something you don't like doing, think to yourself: "what would I rather be doing." Depending on the company they will offer money for you to attend college, starbucks baristas, AT&T call representatives, panda express kitchen helpers, safelite auto glass technicians, walmart shelf stockers, they all have some kind of tuition bonuses if you are full time for 6+ months

It's not about finding what you like, it's about finding what you'd rather be doing, repeat that long enough and you will find what you love.

If you ever find yourself regretting your education, or hating the job you got. KEEP SEARCHING or go back to college, I've met so many nurses, accountants, and compsci grads who hated it and ended up going back to college in their 40's but they still manage to buy a house and be glad they changed careers. It's never too late to go back to school
    holy shit this post right here amazing response thank you very much you couldn't have answered this better .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to WalterWhiten For This Useful Post:

boy (03-01-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I'm 22 with 2 full years of experience (internships and contract positions). Definitely feeling the burn out a whole lot more now that I'm working full time with no long term breaks (during my time as a student, I'd take winter break/spring break off winter break basically being like a one month vacation from school/work, spring break being a 1 week vacation. Also had much fewer tasks to take care of as a student). During the middle of this week, I was playing Heroes of the Storm with a friend of mine and we kept getting brain dead players game after game (either the brain dead player was on our team and it was a miserable loss or on the opposing team and it was a super boring win). I told my friend I was uninstalling the game. Now that it's the weekend and I'm not gaming, I have a whole lot more free time and I find myself watching tutorials to teach myself how to use different IS systems (basically teaching myself things I don't know about the department I work in). Yesterday I also thought about teaching myself how to use a DAW to make music. Hoping that I can find something new to put a lot of time into. Wish I could find a game that doesn't require much attention that I can play while I watch tutorials/learn all day.
    Last edited by Bernard; 02-26-2021 at 08:59 PM.
    Rep. Power: 123

Minion: 11/28/12-3/15/14

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:

boy (03-01-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    I can't speak on behalf of French accounting but at least here in the U.S. you have a lot of options open to you when it comes to accounting. You can focus in areas that range from public to private to government and then even there you can focus on anything from auditing to financial planner to forensic accounting. The degree is very versatile and you have many doors open to you. You're an asset to basically any entity that has cash flowing through it, which is what every person that has a job has to interact with on the daily. Rather than focusing outside of your accounting perspective look into other avenues of what your degree can get you. Jobs in different sectors will net you completely different results and in your case of being a secretary accountant you may instead enjoy being just a payroll accountant (if Human Resources doesn't already cover that) where you will usually work your standard 9-5 work week.
    Last edited by Color; 02-27-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Member Since 8/05/2012
    Editor 4/04/13 - 4/21/13
    Middleman 7/14/13 - 11/4/13

Battlefield Minion 6/13/14-3/20/15
    Steam Minion 7/16/14-3/20/15

Minion+ 10/1/14-3/20/15
    M.A.T. Minion 10/19/14-3/20/15
    ROTMG Minion 1/14/15-3/20/15

Donator Since 2/26/15 (Thanks @Cursed!)
    Steam Minion 5/9/15 - 11/5/15
    OSFPS Minion 9/15/15 - 11/5/15

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    A dream job isn't the highest paying job with the highest paying title, it's something you'd do for free but get paid for doing something you truly love. Finding that is hard and so is knowing you found it when you found it.

BRING BACK BT, BRING BACK SAGA, BRING BACK VF, BRING BACK MPGHCRAFT, BRING BACK HABAMON

Thanks
    My Mood
    Scared
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    I'm 22 with 2 full years of experience (internships and contract positions). Definitely feeling the burn out a whole lot more now that I'm working full time with no long term breaks (during my time as a student, I'd take winter break/spring break off winter break basically being like a one month vacation from school/work, spring break being a 1 week vacation. Also had much fewer tasks to take care of as a student). During the middle of this week, I was playing Heroes of the Storm with a friend of mine and we kept getting brain dead players game after game (either the brain dead player was on our team and it was a miserable loss or on the opposing team and it was a super boring win). I told my friend I was uninstalling the game. Now that it's the weekend and I'm not gaming, I have a whole lot more free time and I find myself watching tutorials to teach myself how to use different IS systems (basically teaching myself things I don't know about the department I work in). Yesterday I also thought about teaching myself how to use a DAW to make music. Hoping that I can find something new to put a lot of time into. Wish I could find a game that doesn't require much attention that I can play while I watch tutorials/learn all day.
    imagine trying to get good teammates in HOTS zzzz (used to play it, community has always sucked) but the same exact thing happened to me when i quit playing games,

after i stopped playing competitive games (overwatch, tarkov) i had so much time to learn a shit ton of life skills and really advanced myself

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by azerty54 View Post
    I already feel too old to study something else, and have no idea what to study anyway.
    youre definitely not too old to go back to school... the average age of a college student is like 28 or something, look at any millenial who came to america. they LEARNED english in their 20's and 30's, and still went to school.

You're never too old to learn something new

22. The Following User Says Thank You to boy For This Useful Post:

azerty54 (03-06-2021)

Thanks
    Jeez you're like exactly in my position, age, career and job wise. I feel like life and this desire to find meaning in our day to day is going to be a constant thing. Just wanted to say I feel for you and hope you find yours!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jobotehlobo For This Useful Post:

azerty54 (03-06-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast