Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by tdct View Post
    It's thought of as symbolic, and people believe if you live by it's principals the world will be a utopia, unfortunately as human we are emotional, and therefore irrational and if this God of theirs is so perfect why would he make it where we could never be at peace, because he wants us to suffer to reach his standard?
    When did he ever suffer? Yet in their minds he's all powerful and ever loving, and it's even since he created us, the way I see it the relation ship that grants us passage into heaven is the same relation ship between me and my pet cat.
    -I didn't quote the cat part because you just made up a story, then said "this is what the bible is"

Look, if we lived by its principles, even just the ten commandments, if we did that, life would be better for everyone.
    -But lets be realistic here, if you even lived by the law normally life would be better for everyone.

If your going for the "when did he suffer": Jesus.
    ------------------------------------

You know, i'm tired of this shit. I'm tired of everyone blaming God, i'm tired of everyone saying "well this happened, so god must not be real". Get the fuck over it you motherfucking pussies. Its not like you try to fix the fucking world or even make it better.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Empire For This Useful Post:

Sir Nathan (07-31-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Quote Originally Posted by Empire View Post

-I didn't quote the cat part because you just made up a story, then said "this is what the bible is"

Look, if we lived by its principles, even just the ten commandments, if we did that, life would be better for everyone.
    -But lets be realistic here, if you even lived by the law normally life would be better for everyone.

You know, i'm tired of this shit. I'm tired of everyone blaming God, i'm tired of everyone saying "well this happened, so god must not be real". Get the fuck over it you motherfucking pussies. Its not like you try to fix the fucking world or even make it better.
    Why umad, tho?
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

The cat is an analogy which shows the relationship between God and us, if you cannot understand that then it simply shows your lack of intelligence, and furthermore, as I said before this was not even bump, epic fail is epic fail, and epic spam is epic spam

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead

True...very true !!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Of course I don't, paroxysm or w/e his name is, is the only intelligent atheist I know of that does, because if there is no god, then there is no incentive for you to help any one other that yourself, = narcissism is the logical life style.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Of course I don't, paroxysm or w/e his name is, is the only intelligent atheist I know of that does, because if there is no god, then there is no incentive for you to help any one other that yourself, = narcissism is the logical life style.
    Dude, go fuck yourself. Atheism doesn't lead to narcissism nor does narcissism lead to atheism. You think I don't believe in God because something bad happened in my life? Who the fuck are you to tell me why I don't believe? I'll have you know I had a completely normal life, no childhood trauma or no deaths in the family. I don't know where the fuck you get off telling me that I don't believe because of a bad experience. People don't do things because of the things they don't believe in, people do things because of the things they do believe in. It's like Stalin didn't kill people because he didn't believe in God, he killed people because of his power hungry nature and his political ideology, things that he did believe in.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    My Mood
    Pensive
    If you lived in a world of black and white and only extreme views, yeah, thats what would happen.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Guy above Aleks thinks he's hot shit, but he's a cold turd.
    The night fades with a breath of sunshine.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
    Dude, go fuck yourself. Atheism doesn't lead to narcissism nor does narcissism lead to atheism. You think I don't believe in God because something bad happened in my life? Who the fuck are you to tell me why I don't believe? I'll have you know I had a completely normal life, no childhood trauma or no deaths in the family. I don't know where the fuck you get off telling me that I don't believe because of a bad experience. People don't do things because of the things they don't believe in, people do things because of the things they do believe in. It's like Stalin didn't kill people because he didn't believe in God, he killed people because of his power hungry nature and his political ideology, things that he did believe in.
    I never insinuated that you had a traumatic childhood experience
    do you even know the definition of narcissism

Person full of egoism and pride; One who shows extreme love and admiration for oneself

The term narcissism refers to the personality trait of egotism, which includes the set of character traits concerned with self-image ego. The terms narcissism, ', and ' are often used as pejoratives, denoting vanity, conceit, egotism or simple selfishness

narcissistic - egotistic: characteristic of those having an inflated idea of their own importance

if you do not have any belief in a deity, then consequently you have to believe that you life has no purpose given to it, and if your life has no purpose, and you answer to no deity, then what do you do wr life?
    What ever you want, therefore you make your own purposes, and since you made them they would be for your reasons. You know what It would be easier to explain this with a common prospect, that only the most idiotic or short sighted people haven't wonder upon.

When your parents die, or someone you "love"
    why are you sad?
    Because you know that they might have gone to hell, or purgatory, or become non-existent.

I doubt it.

It's most likely because [B]you[B] won't have anyone to play boardgames w/ anymore, or
    because you feel lonely

I'm quite sure that your sad for selfish reasons, but that's just my demented view of the human race.

Anyway if your life has no purpose, all purposes you created will be selfish, because people are not capable of anything else

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    When a loved one dies, I am not sad because I feel they've gone to hell, or purgatory, or become non-existent. I am sad because I will not again be able to hold them in my arms or see their smiling face.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by moosicgawd View Post
    When a loved one dies, I am not sad because I feel they've gone to hell, or purgatory, or become non-existent. I am sad because I will not again be able to hold them in my arms or see their smiling face.
    My point exactly, you're sad for selfish reasons, and as humans I'd be surprised if we are capable of anything more

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy

My point exactly, you're sad for selfish reasons, and as humans I'd be surprised if we are capable of anything more
    Cool story bro.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky

I never insinuated that you had a traumatic childhood experience
    do you even know the definition of narcissism

Person full of egoism and pride; One who shows extreme love and admiration for oneself

The term narcissism refers to the personality trait of egotism, which includes the set of character traits concerned with self-image ego. The terms narcissism, ', and ' are often used as pejoratives, denoting vanity, conceit, egotism or simple selfishness

narcissistic - egotistic: characteristic of those having an inflated idea of their own importance

if you do not have any belief in a deity, then consequently you have to believe that you life has no purpose given to it, and if your life has no purpose, and you answer to no deity, then what do you do wr life?
    What ever you want, therefore you make your own purposes, and since you made them they would be for your reasons. You know what It would be easier to explain this with a common prospect, that only the most idiotic or short sighted people haven't wonder upon.

When your parents die, or someone you "love"
    why are you sad?
    Because you know that they might have gone to hell, or purgatory, or become non-existent.

I doubt it.

It's most likely because [B]you[B] won't have anyone to play boardgames w/ anymore, or
    because you feel lonely

I'm quite sure that your sad for selfish reasons, but that's just my demented view of the human race.

Anyway if your life has no purpose, all purposes you created will be selfish, because people are not capable of anything else
    Narcissism isn't the logical step from "there is no God", there is no logical step from "there is no God". Atheism is not a stepping stone to any ideology or philosophy. That's because we don't do things or change our lives according to what we don't believe, we change our lives according to what we do believe. Being a utilitarian-humanist I want to maximize overall human happiness and well-being, I want to minimize suffering and promote individual liberties. Even if I have to sacrifice some luxuries I have then so be it, it'll raise the overall well-being of all people.

The fact that you're willing to go from a disbelief in deities to personal egoism so quickly shows nothing more than an intellectual laziness.

Well guys this is my last post for the next week. I'll be at a Christian camp for the week to help organize the games and activities. (Yeah I know I'm an atheist, you don't need to remind me [the kids are good people regardless of the crazy shit their parents make them believe, no reason I can't help make the camp more fun for 'em])
    Last edited by Paroxysm; 08-01-2010 at 02:47 PM.
    "We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter." ~ Denis Diderot

Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy
    Quote Originally Posted by natiko View Post
    What the fuck do you care if it's true or not? More than half of the people that posted on this thread aren't Christian, and many don't believe in God. So what the fuck? Do I care about what it says in the Pali Cannon? And even if it was true, go and tell that to any court in the world after firing your secretary for having a vagina, and check what you get.
    im the half that does believe in god

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
    Narcissism isn't the logical step from "there is no God", there is no logical step from "there is no God". Atheism is not a stepping stone to any ideology or philosophy. That's because we don't do things or change our lives according to what we don't believe, we change our lives according to what we do believe. Being a utilitarian-humanist I want to maximize overall human happiness and well-being, I want to minimize suffering and promote individual liberties. Even if I have to sacrifice some luxuries I have then so be it, it'll raise the overall well-being of all people.

The fact that you're willing to go from a disbelief in deities to personal egoism so quickly shows nothing more than an intellectual laziness.

Well guys this is my last post for the next week. I'll be at a Christian camp for the week to help organize the games and activities. (Yeah I know I'm an atheist, you don't need to remind me [the kids are good people regardless of the crazy shit their parents make them believe, no reason I can't help make the camp more fun for 'em])
    Why work for the good of mankind when after your death humanity doesn't matter, that is an irrational life style, and any disagreement just shows how naive you are

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast