Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    @ @Bernard if you can or could hold on a little bit, Asus is going to be releasing or has already released their x570 ROG Corsair VIII Extreme edition for AMD, with some of the "awesome" features, don't take my word for it, JayzTwoCents recently made a video about their 2 newest motherboards that are top of the line, one is workbench esk mobo, another is top of the line "gaming" motherboards.

Here's a video of him unboxing one (timestamped to the specific time where he unboxes it)
    Reputation power: 56
    If I helped you in any way or shape of form, it's always appreciated to thank or give a rep!

| [ Rules ] | [ Market Place ] | [ Scammers Grave ] | [ Report a scammer ] |

Achievements:
    News Force - 08-23-2018 - 10-02-2018
    Middleman - 05-09-20 - 19-12-2020
    Former Staff - 19-12-2020 - On-going

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Charion View Post
    @ @Bernard if you can or could hold on a little bit, Asus is going to be releasing or has already released their x570 ROG Corsair VIII Extreme edition for AMD, with some of the "awesome" features, don't take my word for it, JayzTwoCents recently made a video about their 2 newest motherboards that are top of the line, one is workbench esk mobo, another is top of the line "gaming" motherboards.

Here's a video of him unboxing one (timestamped to the specific time where he unboxes it)
    I built my pc yesterday. These two motherboards seem great but I'm just not sure what it has over the current top of the line motherboards. Like he stressed that there are multiple USB port things but idk what I'd even use those for. Also those twist thingies that hold down the M2 cards, pretty big brain. Hate how much screwing and unscrewing I have to do constantly when building a pc.
    Rep. Power: 126

Minion: 11/28/12-3/15/14

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:

Charion (10-17-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Charion View Post
    if you can or could hold on a little bit, Asus is going to be releasing or has already released their x570 ROG Corsair VIII Extreme edition for AMD, with some of the "awesome" features, don't take my word for it, JayzTwoCents recently made a video about their 2 newest motherboards that are top of the line, one is workbench esk mobo, another is top of the line "gaming" motherboards.
    saw that vid too. crazy motherboards those ones.
    in terms of features, insane.
    but if you're only looking for performance, it is overkill.

https://*****************/spreadshee...Qx8/edit#gid=0

that Asus x570 crosshair 8 extreme is no better than Gigabyte's b550 aorus master (which is actually affordable in comparison) when it comes to overclocking for the enthusiast user.

Both motherboards supporting 300A current draw, while the Asus tuf plus wifi supports around 200A (which is still very good)

not to mention the crosshair 8 will cost the same or more than the CPU you're going to be slotting in

and the crosshair 8 extreme is not really a "gaming" mobo, it's more an extreme overclocking mobo. the same line of motherboard used for extreme or liquid nitrogen overclocking

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by skillkill View Post
    Both motherboards supporting 300A current draw, while the Asus tuf plus wifi supports around 200A (which is still very good)
    Can you explain 300A vs. 200A and how it affects performance in laymen's terms? Tried to google "300A vs 200a motherboard" but didn't really get anything helpful.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:

Charion (10-18-2021)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    explain 300A vs. 200A and how it affects performance in laymen's terms
    Your CPU is a Ryzen CPU, which has something called "Precision Boost Overdrive" (PBO for short). You might not have it enabled but if you want, you can enable it in the BIOS. it should just be an on/ off switch somewhere. It's an AMD auto-overclocking feature and I recommend you do enable it.

It will allow your CPU to automatically speed itself up and safely consume more power when needed; to get more work done. (like giving more FPS in games or faster video rendering)
    But this speed increase is limited by the heat generated by your CPU and motherboard, and the stability of your CPU when running at these higher speeds.

Motherboards that provide support for the higher current draw will ensure that power delivered to your CPU and RAM is smoother.
    This ensures stability at higher CPU clock frequencies and allows your CPU to push itself further.
    Supporting a higher current draw also means the motherboard VRMs run cooler for longer and won't cause instability in normal overclocking conditions as they tend to heat up when your CPU is doing work.

For reference, my current motherboard is a B450 motherboard from 2018 supporting a 75A current draw without fans moving air over the motherboard. very pooper, and the VRM will overheat without much effort if I try to overclock hard enough.

100A support is enough for most CPUs, and you want at least 125-150A support for pushing higher-end hardware.

you can probably search "VRM design" or "VRM phases" to learn more details about why it is important

Also, you don't have to worry about your motherboard being inferior or anything like that, it's still an excellent motherboard
    Thank me if I helped Listen to the music below as you scroll through for free eargasms...
    If you want me to feature & promote your music in my signature for free and you believe it worthy, PM me a YouTube link

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by skillkill View Post
    Your CPU is a Ryzen CPU, which has something called "Precision Boost Overdrive" (PBO for short). You might not have it enabled but if you want, you can enable it in the BIOS. it should just be an on/ off switch somewhere. It's an AMD auto-overclocking feature and I recommend you do enable it.

It will allow your CPU to automatically speed itself up and safely consume more power when needed; to get more work done. (like giving more FPS in games or faster video rendering)
    But this speed increase is limited by the heat generated by your CPU and motherboard, and the stability of your CPU when running at these higher speeds.
    Went on Youtube and searched "precision boost overdrive benchmark 5900x" and this was the first result:

https://youtu.be/fZ-iq398ig4?t=947 (time stamp is where they start showing benchmark tables)

Based on the 5900x PBO vs 5900x tests for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry 5, Total Warhammer 2 Battle, and Total Warhammer 2 Skaven, seems like the difference is maybe only 1-4 fps. boh1
    Last edited by Bernard; 10-18-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Went on Youtube and searched "precision boost overdrive benchmark 5900x" and this was the first result:

https:/tu.be/fZ-iq398ig4?t=947 (time stamp is where they start showing benchmark tables)

Based on the 5900x PBO vs 5900x tests for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry 5, Total Warhammer 2 Battle, and Total Warhammer 2 Skaven, seems like the difference is maybe only 1-4 fps.
    You are right that it only increases your FPS for little. I believe it was optimized more for when you are using programs that suddenly need more CPU resources suddenly so the program runs "smoothly" when PBO activates. I believe PBO is a new concept and there needs to be more testing done on it by AMD.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Based on the 5900x PBO vs 5900x tests for Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry 5, Total Warhammer 2 Battle, and Total Warhammer 2 Skaven, seems like the difference is maybe only 1-4 fps
    Yea fps in many games will only be slight increases. many games tend to be capped here by how many cores they can effectively use.
    you'll see larger performance improvements as more CPU cores are used. such as when you are doing productivity-related tasks, or in future when those games are able to use more CPU cores. By default though, even without PBO, Ryzen CPUs will still push themselves to the limits defined (either in the Ryzen master application or in the BIOS)

this is a bit more recent with a better explanation on the use of PBO
    Thank me if I helped Listen to the music below as you scroll through for free eargasms...
    If you want me to feature & promote your music in my signature for free and you believe it worthy, PM me a YouTube link

Thanks
    How much did that RTX cost you?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123