Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad

[Oppinion]Would anyone use an IRC Interface Module in there hacks?

If I made a module that you would statically link with your project and use to connect to an IRC server, would any of you implement it into your hacks?

I.e

IrcClient* ircClient = new IrcClient(pSomeInterface);

ircClient->connect("some server host", 6667);
    ircClient->join("#SomeRoom");

ircClient->PrintUserMessage("Sup nigs");

Then you could have a central IRC server & room everyone using MPGH hacks could join and chat on. I'd have callbacks registered to notify user modules when there has been a user message or an IRC event. Additionally, I could add features such as whether a given hack has been reported as detected or not.

Problems:
    Easier for people to implement remote trojans
    Someone needs to host the server

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    So everyone would have to render a client for the IRC over the game they're hacking? Not sure I'm understanding what you're getting at here. None the less, sounds like a cool idea.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead
    OldSchool People like to do So =).
    Love You All~

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    IRC is nice, but you do know that irc servers are/were succesfully used to host as communication center for bot-nets and other virus shit

This'd make it verry easy to put something like that together, even I could do it

And I believe I heard that there are free irc server hosts out there, so we wouldn't have to host it...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by schim View Post
    IRC is nice, but you do know that irc servers are/were succesfully used to host as communication center for bot-nets and other virus shit

This'd make it verry easy to put something like that together, even I could do it

And I believe I heard that there are free irc server hosts out there, so we wouldn't have to host it...
    Yeah but it wouldn't make it much easier.

The problem here is, it would make it harder to the mods to determine whether it is or is not a remote trojan, because all the hacks would use the winsock api.

I could try and implement client-side security but it'd be a waste of time, esp. in the hands of hackers.

There are two types of tragedies in life. One is not getting what you want, the other is getting it.

If you wake up at a different time in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    That would be so cool. I would love to implement that, I've thought about it but never got around to it since I was and still am busy learning other things more related to game hacking. I know a lot of hackers use IRC to control their rootkits and things, but there's so many good things that can come from this:

*An MPGH network that would identify other MPGHers in game.
    *A ingame chat.
    *Checks for updates, etc.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

Hell_Demon (08-29-2010),NextGen1 (08-28-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amazed
    I think it is a great idea. Just so you know

The Most complete application MPGH will ever offer - 68%

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NextGen1 For This Useful Post:

Hell_Demon (08-29-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    I'm experimenting with a P2P self-discovery network, possibly to be used in my hacks. At the moment I'm kinda baffled about the self-discovery technique, so I might use the tracker-client model that we see in torrents, or any other P2P network so far. I don't really like this though, because it'll be based on a central server... and yeah.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by freedompeace View Post
    I'm experimenting with a P2P self-discovery network, possibly to be used in my hacks. At the moment I'm kinda baffled about the self-discovery technique, so I might use the tracker-client model that we see in torrents, or any other P2P network so far. I don't really like this though, because it'll be based on a central server... and yeah.
    Well, the point is to use a common IRC protocol so users who aren't using the hacks but have access to(say a web-based) IRC clients, can communicate with one another. There's no point inventing our own protocol because it'd defeat the purpose.

Security is obviously a risk but a p2p protocol doesn't help the security issues unless we have an untrustworthy host for the central server.

Anyway, I'm working on something w\ dave, but it shouldn't take long, so I'll start on this as soon as I'm done.
    Last edited by radnomguywfq3; 08-28-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetamay View Post
    Well, the point is to use a common IRC protocol so users who aren't using the hacks but have access to(say a web-based) IRC client, can communicate with one another. There's no point inventing our own protocol because it'd defeat the purpose.

Security is obviously a risk but a p2p protocol doesn't help the security issues unless we have an untrustworthy host for the central server.

Anyway, I'm working on something w\ dave, but it shouldn't take long, so I'll start on this as soon as I'm done.
    We could always make a gateway that conforms to IRC standards for users who want to use it via. other protocols.

The reason I was using a P2P network rather than a central based network was because the admin of another hacking site bought me this host, for which hosted several popular application news and information servers on, such as Portal. He said that he'd keep it running, and, 1 month after Portal's release, he suspended my account. -.-

So now I'm serverless, looking into cloud, non-centralised technologies which don't require a central server for whatever they do.

Also, the IRC protocol has a few shortcomings for my purpose, such as file exchange, metadata exchange (which can be done through lots of filtering, but web-access users will see lots of spammage), and a few other problems inherit with the current IRC server forks, in particular, authentication.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    We could always make a gateway that conforms to IRC standards for users who want to use it via. other protocols.

The reason I was using a P2P network rather than a central based network was because the admin of another hacking site bought me this host, for which hosted several popular application news and information servers on, such as Portal. He said that he'd keep it running, and, 1 month after Portal's release, he suspended my account. -.-

So now I'm serverless, looking into cloud, non-centralised technologies which don't require a central server for whatever they do.

Also, the IRC protocol has a few shortcomings for my purpose, such as file exchange, metadata exchange (which can be done through lots of filtering, but web-access users will see lots of spammage), and a few other problems inherit with the current IRC server forks, in particular, authentication.
    We'd still need a server of some sort to direct the peers to one another. Or we could have the clients manually type the IP Addresses of a peer in a network they wish to join, which would be a bad idea. Also unsync versions would be absolute hell.

Though the IRC protocol doesn't specify any sort of file-sharing, most IRC clients do implement file sharing via the DCC protocol. What do you mean by the exchange of meta-data? As meta-data is simply defined as information about information. I don't see any reason why one would need to transfer such, and if they did, surely the meta-data is small enough to be sent via a file transfer or a pm.

In regards to authentication, the majority of the IRC servers grant one the ability to reserve a nickname. I think what you mean though, is one reserving someone else's name, which has been a problem in the past. If the IRC is configurable enough, this could be solved. However, I doubt it will become a large enough problem if the room is monitored.

You do make some valid points though, and I'll try to take them into consideration. I would just rather avoid inventing a new protocol because the IRC protocol is used by a large variety of messaging services.
    Last edited by radnomguywfq3; 08-28-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    We'd still need a server of some sort to direct the peers to one another. Or we could have the clients manually type the IP Addresses of a peer in a network they wish to join, which would be a bad idea. Also unsync versions would be absolute hell.

Though the IRC protocol doesn't specify any sort of file-sharing, most IRC clients do implement file sharing via the DCC protocol. What do you mean by the exchange of meta-data? As meta-data is simply defined as information about information. I don't see any reason why one would need to transfer such, and if they did, surely the meta-data is small enough to be sent via a file transfer or a pm.

In regards to authentication, the majority of the IRC servers grant one the ability to reserve a nickname. I think what you mean though, is one reserving someone else's name, which has been a problem in the past. If the IRC is configurable enough, this could be solved. However, I doubt it will become a large enough problem if the room is monitored.

You do make some valid points though, and I'll try to take them into consideration. I would just rather avoid inventing a new protocol because the IRC protocol is used by a large variety of messaging services.
    I'll talk to you on msn about this. Add me

I could write up a massive essay about why and such.

1. NickServ allows protecting usernames with passwords, but they are sent in clear text.
    2. For example, information about the players. Their in game statistics, perhaps? The existing methods of transfering such data are either clumsy or an overkill (and thus we have a considerable overhead when dealing with large numbers)
    3. There are methods which I can think of that allow a decentralised system of communication, without relying on a single server. Getting it to work at a fast enough speed for the average user is, however, another problem.
    4. We don't need an advanced and complex protocol - we need one that works to our needs, is extensible and expandable in the future, and is fast, stable and high quality. I love speed, stability and quality. My releases and code reflects that.

And i'm off for now! 30 minutes late for an appointment, and i'm still at home --"
    sorry, typed this message in a MASSIVE rush.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sad
    I'll talk to you on msn about this. Add me

I could write up a massive essay about why and such.

1. NickServ allows protecting usernames with passwords, but they are sent in clear text.
    2. For example, information about the players. Their in game statistics, perhaps? The existing methods of transfering such data are either clumsy or an overkill (and thus we have a considerable overhead when dealing with large numbers)
    3. There are methods which I can think of that allow a decentralised system of communication, without relying on a single server. Getting it to work at a fast enough speed for the average user is, however, another problem.
    4. We don't need an advanced and complex protocol - we need one that works to our needs, is extensible and expandable in the future, and is fast, stable and high quality. I love speed, stability and quality. My releases and code reflects that.

And i'm off for now! 30 minutes late for an appointment, and i'm still at home --"
    sorry, typed this message in a MASSIVE rush.
    1. We could hash the passwords before they're sent. However, unless someone is monitoring the network, this isn't much of a security risk, unless ofc we have an untrustworthy host. Hashing passwords would also likely lose compatibility with other IRC clients unless we implement a sort of signature in the password so the server knows it's been hashed(which shouldn't be hard to do).

2. Statistic sharing wouldn't be apart of this module because it would be game-specific, and this is supposed to be a general IRC module. However, that is a good idea, and I may actually consider creating my own protocol for that very reason. Never thought of that.

3. P2P networking is a bad idea. The hacks will become obsolete within a week, so the server information would need to be updated anyway. We can theoretically setup a reliable server which manages peer registration, then redirect the peers to them. But that isn't really the point of a p2p connection. P2P connections are good to lightening the load on the central server and preventing lag with users who are not close to the central server. Since the IRC server is not network intensive, there isn't a point of using the P2P connection model. This also introduces some security risks w\ the P2P model. How would we store user data if there was no central server? I.e room admins and mods? Which of the many connected clients would dictate whether a user should be kicked or moded?

4. I agree. The IRC protocol is fairly simple, reliable and universal.

Hmm, after reading your points I may consider developing my own protocol(also it would be a lot easier then reading through the IRC protocol manual, lol). Hmmz, I'll think about it. However, I still think that the centralized server is a much more secure and reliable method.
    Last edited by radnomguywfq3; 08-28-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    1. We could hash the passwords before they're sent. However, unless someone is monitoring the network, this isn't much of a security risk, unless ofc we have an untrustworthy host. Hashing passwords would also likely lose compatibility with other IRC clients unless we implement a sort of signature in the password so the server knows it's been hashed(which shouldn't be hard to do).

2. Statistic sharing wouldn't be apart of this module because it would be game-specific, and this is supposed to be a general IRC module. However, that is a good idea, and I may actually consider creating my own protocol for that very reason. Never thought of that.

3. P2P networking is a bad idea. The hacks will become obsolete within a week, so the server information would need to be updated anyway. We can theoretically setup a reliable server which manages peer registration, then redirect the peers to them. But that isn't really the point of a p2p connection. P2P connections are good to lightening the load on the central server and preventing lag with users who are not close to the central server. Since the IRC server is not network intensive, there isn't a point of using the P2P connection model. This also introduces some security risks w\ the P2P model. How would we store user data if there was no central server? I.e room admins and mods? Which of the many connected clients would dictate whether a user should be kicked or moded?

4. I agree. The IRC protocol is fairly simple, reliable and universal.

Hmm, after reading your points I may consider developing my own protocol(also it would be a lot easier then reading through the IRC protocol manual, lol). Hmmz, I'll think about it. However, I still think that the centralized server is a much more secure and reliable method.
    I'd still go for the centralized server, I know for sure that some users (or the most of them) are behind a hardware firewall (router/modem)

I know I'am and this would produce problems if there's no server to connect to, because forwarding often doesn't work for me (it's just crappy, I know how it works, but it won't work )

And for the average computer user forwarding/connecting and receiving scary messages from their firewalls would be a bummer, they just want to use the hacks, they don't want to go massive trouble and stuff just to be able to chat in-game

If you implend it (so will I) it'll have to be easy to use, because if it isn't people won't use it

Thanks
    I like irc but I don't like the idea of using it for an interface for hacks... Perhaps a botnet but not hacks
    ~lilneo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast