Thanks

iOS 4.2 iPad Beta

Apple has released iOS 4.2 Beta (1, 2, and 3) to paid developers recently. When 4.2 is officially released, it will be the update that bridges the software gap between the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Every device will be running the same software version and will presumably be updated simultaneously from release-on.

The iPad is the main focus of 4.2, enabling multitasking and in-app printing. The iPhone and iPod touch will also receive in-app printing in this update. So far the betas have appeared to be extremely stable with few app crashes or problems at all. Apple’s own Mail is the only application that has crashed on me since updating.

One of the big complaints of the iPad has been the seemingly crippling amount of ram; 256MB. Despite this, app switching is fast and responsive. While multiple multitasking apps are open in the background, I was able to open up as many as 6 non-mobile websites before getting the dreaded refresh issue.

Printing is simple and elegant. Open the sharing/export option of an application and choose print. You are then asked what printer you want to use and how many copies you would like to make. The device will recognize most printers shared via a Mac or Windows PC.

Overall this is an extremely polished beta and multitasking for the iPad might come earlier than we all thought.

Responses based on several MacRumors members, and myself using the iPhone Simulator as I do not own an iPad.

I (Connor Griffin) am the author of this article and if you happen to see it on one or two other sites (my site and an iPod forum) I am the one that posted it there.
    Last edited by Corndog; 10-07-2010 at 05:35 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Corndog For This Useful Post:

KABLE (10-07-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored
    looks nice too bad im normal developer

Thanks
    Thank you for sharing the information, Quality content is important in order to hold the readers’ attention and win their approval.

Thanks
    The printer option is pretty cool
    Game Center (iPad 2): IamN00bz add me
    Mob code (Itouch): NWD5V8 add me
    World War (Itouch): UYMK9J add me

I don't care who you are or what you've done. You have to earn respect.