Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy

[SOLVED] BFG 285GTX help. first noticed this in black ops so its posted here.

EVGA x58 sli
    i7 920 2.66
    BFG 285GGTX
    Corsair 6gb 1066
    850w Toughpower PSU
    1TB WD Black Cav
    vista x64

About a week or so ago i started noticing drops in my FPS while gaming. They went from 124-165 down to 65-85. I didnt tweak any settings that would cuase this decrease in any way. It continued the drop until it reached 25-35FPS I stay away from overclocking so that for sure is not the issue. I can't find the onboard video on my mobo, i think it doesnt even come with onboard video....but ill check again to make sure this isnt a simple mistake; i doubt it is.

I checked to see if my drivers were out of date and they were so i updated them to the 260.99 ones i believe and it only made it worse. I average about 13-18 FPS on every screen setting 800x600 - 1920x1080. I was told by a friend to try a system restore and i did, but without success.

Truly i have no idea what the problem can be. Most of my games are through Steam, but I've tried multiple games that are not Steam related and it is all the same.

Can a virus be the cuase of this? Im scanning once again, to make sure its clean. i can watch video an do everything except get good frames on games, and very few bluray movies, but even before this started occurring it was certain blurays that were faulty and/or not completely read properly.

The only thing i can think of is my cpu is trying to handle the video processing, thus failing miserably; but idk how to test my gpu if it is even working.

Any help is grealty appreciated. THANKS!!!

p.s. system is about 1.5 old.
    THANK ME!! (grawls)
    THANKS button

Thanks
    Your gpu is dying brah.

But if you have a 285 then why would you need to worry about onboard graphics causing problems? Unless the card dies and you need to run through the onboard instead.

But before you go out and buy a new one, you may want to test it on different games and such to see if you can help further level the problem. If it does it across many games, then in all likelyhood it is your GPU.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Heartview For This Useful Post:

hafner (12-28-2010)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I have tried it on all my games, i have a "testing" pc that i plug all my parts into just to check if they are working and ive made sure its my videocard.

If the gpu is dead, does that mean that all the video processes is being produced by my cpu??

Under the device manager it says nothing is wrong with the videocard, but i know device manager cant really be trusted.

\\i just thought the onboard video might have been flipped on accidently, thats why i asked that, but my mobo doesnt offer that option.
    THANK ME!! (grawls)
    THANKS button

Thanks
    If your GPU is dying it just means that its taking longer to do its calculations, meaning lower FPS. You should defiantly test it in another computer to makes sure its just the GPU before buying new though.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    i ran an MSi program that shows my gpu temps and the usage, it goes up to 94% usage but it still doesnt give the FPS needed to game p[roperly. my other pc isnt accepting my videocard for sum starnge reason, i think its a power issue.
    THANK ME!! (grawls)
    THANKS button

Thanks
    Well it sounds to me then that the GPU is either not getting the power it needs (not likely) or its just dying.
    Texture Mods

Obedear, the sky is low

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    thats on my back up computer....the one its currently in has enough. but thanks for your help. i think im in store for a new card, gotta start spending that christmas money i guess.
    THANK ME!! (grawls)
    THANKS button

Thanks
    /Marked as Solved

Ex Middleman