Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking

How did you learn C++?

So I know there's another thread about the best beginners C++ book but I checked it and it got really off topic and I really want to know what website/video/tut/book that the best coders of MPGH used to learn C++... So... Which one is it? So far I'm using LearnCpp.com and it seems that it's got different information than from what other people are telling me...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy
    A book. A. Book.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Auxilium For This Useful Post:

Void (02-23-2011)

Thanks
    i Read a Book but i Skimmed though LearnCPP.com and the information looks right from my eyes

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Doing is the best way to learn. Along with reading a book.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Void For This Useful Post:

Auxilium (02-23-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    Copy Pasting, and I still haven't got it right.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to crushed For This Useful Post:

why06 (02-23-2011)

Thanks
    most c++ books work great... learncpp has all the right shit too though. Might just be in a diff order.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Everyone likes different books. Read some reviews on Amazon and pick the one you like the most, then skim through it before buying it. If you don't like the authors style don't get it. I went to the local book store and spent 30min looking through books and hours before and after reading reviews on Amazon before going back and buying Herbert Schildt's C++: A Beginners Guide. I like the book, it's concise and only teaches you the fundamentals of the language. That was fine with me. Later I went back and found a book on DirectX and game programming and that introduced me to the Windows API and DirectX.

However my knowledge is a little fragmented and I plan to go back and relearn plenty of concepts in-depth, but I only learned what I needed to to get to the next step. Now I have a pretty good understanding of basic C++, crappy @ WinAPI, a crappy understanding of DirectX, a beginning to be okay understanding of reverse engineering. Ultimately I ended up with a wide range of focus after about 1.5 years of studying, but it's enough to get by on most subjects and has allowed me to focus more on RE, which is my passion.

Other people go for bigger books that are way more comprehensive. People learn different ways, you have to learn the way that's best for you, but I agree with Void that practice is essentially. The most important thing to learn is all the little stuff you won't find in any book. Theory and main ideas help, but you don't get a feel for programming in a language till you have to deal with the hundred little other things, like setting up a compiler, finding mistakes in your code, looking up stuff on msdn, and all that.
    Last edited by why06; 02-23-2011 at 10:38 PM.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. This is, I repeat, the best way of life to be found on the road the world has been taking. This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to why06 For This Useful Post:

Hell_Demon (02-24-2011),Unicow (02-24-2011),Void (02-24-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    How about to indonesian C++

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    People... Can you guys put WHICH book you used...?

Quote Originally Posted by why06 View Post
    Everyone likes different books. Read some reviews on Amazon and pick the one you like the most, then skim through it before buying it. If you don't like the authors style don't get it. I went to the local book store and spent 30min looking through books and hours before and after reading reviews on Amazon before going back and buying Herbert Schildt's C++: A Beginners Guide. I like the book, it's concise and only teaches you the fundamentals of the language. That was fine with me. Later I went back and found a book on DirectX and game programming and that introduced me to the Windows API and DirectX.

However my knowledge is a little fragmented and I plan to go back and relearn plenty of concepts in-depth, but I only learned what I needed to to get to the next step. Now I have a pretty good understanding of basic C++, crappy @ WinAPI, a crappy understanding of DirectX, a beginning to be okay understanding of reverse engineering. Ultimately I ended up with a wide range of focus after about 1.5 years of studying, but it's enough to get by on most subjects and has allowed me to focus more on RE, which is my passion.

Other people go for bigger books that are way more comprehensive. People learn different ways, you have to learn the way that's best for you, but I agree with Void that practice is essentially. The most important thing to learn is all the little stuff you won't find in any book. Theory and main ideas help, but you don't get a feel for programming in a language till you have to deal with the hundred little other things, like setting up a compiler, finding mistakes in your code, looking up stuff on msdn, and all that.
    Wow o.o very indepthed (spelling fail...) Thanks a lot for the info, I'll be sure to use your idea on finding a book, but hopefully I'll actually have money to buy one...

Quote Originally Posted by whit View Post
    i Read a Book but i Skimmed though LearnCPP.com and the information looks right from my eyes
    Can you tell me what book you used? Because you seem to be one of the pro coders in my views :P
    Last edited by Unicow; 02-24-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicow View Post
    People... Can you guys put WHICH book you used...?

Wow o.o very indepthed (spelling fail...) Thanks a lot for the info, I'll be sure to use your idea on finding a book, but hopefully I'll actually have money to buy one...

Can you tell me what book you used? Because you seem to be one of the pro coders in my views :P
    Most of the experience comes from practice, start with simple console applications, and work up from there. For example your maths homework, write programs to do it for you. Saves you time doing your homework AND you learn programming
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hell_Demon For This Useful Post:

'Bruno (02-24-2011)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Demon View Post
    Most of the experience comes from practice, start with simple console applications, and work up from there. For example your maths homework, write programs to do it for you. Saves you time doing your homework AND you learn programming
    you really are lazy... lulz

Edit: but i gotta agree tho..
    Last edited by 'Bruno; 02-24-2011 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted
    lmfao I did that a few weeks ago, I'm selling it to classmates of mine, they love it

I'm SCHiM

Morals derive from the instinct to survive. Moral behavior is survival behavior above the individual level.

Polymorphic engine
    Interprocess callback class
    SIN
    Infinite-precision arithmetic
    Hooking dynamic linkage
    (sloppy)Kernel mode Disassembler!!!

Semi debugger

Thanks
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Triganometry? Right now I'm wayyyy too basic to do any trig with C++.. I can just barely do addition... lol

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Unicow View Post
    Triganometry? Right now I'm wayyyy too basic to do any trig with C++.. I can just barely do addition... lol
    #include <math.h>

double sin(double x)
    double cos(double x)
    double tan(double x)

double asin(double x) //inversed sin
    double acos(double x) //inversed cos
    double atan(double x) //inversed tan
    Ah we-a blaze the fyah, make it bun dem!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky
    #include <math.h>

double sin(double x)
    double cos(double x)
    double tan(double x)

double asin(double x) //inversed sin
    double acos(double x) //inversed cos
    double atan(double x) //inversed tan
    Write a program that will do my Calculus homework for me. I swear to god, I hate it. Well, only Limits and Continuity, Derivatives are pretty chill.

If I stayed dedicated to C++, I bet I could be doing that shit by now. xD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast